Red Line shutdown, 9/3-6, Kendall to Park St

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Red Line shutdown, 9/3-6, Kendall to Park St

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:37 am

When I rode the Red Line yesterday, I found notices on the seats and in stations announcing that the line will be shut down and replaced by buses from Kendall to Park Street. The shutdown will begin at 9 pm on Friday, September 3 and run through the end of service on Monday, September 6 (Labor Day).

Purpose of the shutdown is to "allow the T's contractor, Barletta Heavy Division, access to the Red Line viaduct between Charles/MGH and Kendall to perform necessary work."

I don't see anything about this on the MBTA web site.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:27 am

they'll probably post somthing before the weekend
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby octr202 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:58 am

Still nothing on the website about either this or the Blue Line shutdown. They did get those seat drops out nice and early (I saw the Red Line ones), but I doubt many people really see them -- one rush hour trip and they're all crumpled on the floor or gone. I was on the Red Line pretty early that morning and there were only two down my end of the car.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby SbooX » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:25 pm

It never fails.

I've been living in Malden for the last year enduring the nightly shutdowns. So I decide to move to Cambridge and say to myself, "This is the Red Line! They never run bus shuttles to Cambridge!" Sure enough, I move in on Sept. 1............
SbooX

Postby octr202 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:20 pm

It never fails.

I've been living in Malden for the last year enduring the nightly shutdowns. So I decide to move to Cambridge and say to myself, "This is the Red Line! They never run bus shuttles to Cambridge!" Sure enough, I move in on Sept. 1............

Gee, thanks. Well, at least I know who to blame now. :wink:
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby apodino » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:06 pm

This was mentioned in the press releases site of the MBTA since this morning at least. Same with the blue line.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:09 pm

Yeah -- after I e-mailed the MBTA webmaster and PR department....
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Yeah -- after I e-mailed the MBTA webmaster and PR department....

Or after they came to work this morning and posted the notice online- like after 9am.

Come on folks, you can't expect a service alert that doesn't go into affect five days later to instantaniously be posted. The fact that there were notices posted IN the stations and on the trains BEFORE it was online is what should happen. The vast majority of travelers WILL NOT ever see the notices online so I don't blame the T one bit for putting the notices that WILL be seen by the majority of traveller as opposed to notices that will only be seen by a few...Common sense for once on the T.
efin98

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:34 pm

Yes, you're right about that, Ed.

That's how the T behaves and interacts with its customers. As Karl says, its "poor communication between the T and its passengers".
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby efin98 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:43 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yes, you're right about that, Ed.

That's how the T behaves and interacts with its customers. As Karl says, its "poor communication between the T and its passengers".

You got the wrong meaning of what I said Rob. I meant the exact opposite. They did the right thing by posting the notices in the stations FIRST then putting it on the website. More people will see the notices plastered around the stations than will see the update on the website, especially when it's four days away from happening. Not bad communication- for once the T is thinking with it's head and communicating the right way.
efin98

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:45 pm

You got the wrong meaning of what I said Rob. I meant the exact opposite. They did the right thing by posting the notices in the stations FIRST then putting it on the website. More people will see the notices plastered around the stations than will see the update on the website, especially when it's four days away from happening. Not bad communication- for once the T is thinking with it's head and communicating the right way.

Oh, I'm sorry then, I must have misread your post then :-) Sorry....

I'm glad that the T is interacting better this time around, unlike before.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:02 pm

I don't see why they couldn't have issued press releases at the same time as they put the notices on seats and in stations. By waiting this long to issue the press releases, they failed to make the Sunday Globe's "Starts & Stops" column.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:15 pm

Ron Newman wrote:I don't see why they couldn't have issued press releases at the same time as they put the notices on seats and in stations. By waiting this long to issue the press releases, they failed to make the Sunday Globe's "Starts & Stops" column.

So what? Probably got the final word from the contractor late Sunday as to what will be done and when. I don't see what the fuss is about. Do you personally take the Red Line or Blue Line to work during the weekend? Are you a regular rider on the weekend? I am and as far as I am concerned the T did the right thing by putting notices in the stations first.
efin98

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:50 am

they have updated it on their site, it says the bus replacment for the weekend
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Wow.

Postby SbooX » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:12 pm

Anyone else think this was a total freaking nightmare?

On Sunday afternoon it took me one whole hour to go from South Station to Central Sq. An hour. This would normally take 10 minutes. The biggest problem was the route for the buses going from Park to Kendall. They actually had them looped all the way around the park by way of Tremont, Charles (I think) and Beacon. With Sunday after noon traffic, you can imagine why this was a debacle. Why they didn't just run them straight up Park St. (the actual street) is a mystery to me. It would have saved at least a half hour at times. Not to mention the lack of shuttle buses. One time I was the one of the first people up the stairs at Park St., and when I got out there there was ONE bus waiting. For an entire 6 car Red Line train. In the middle of the afternoon.

This must never be allowed to happen again.
SbooX

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)