Quiz...

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Quiz...

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Come on Fred - I see your name down there. You know this one ! :-D
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby onthegreenline » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:03 pm

hmm... I'm gonna guess Everett? I remember reading something about how it was a sort of shoddily constructed station, one without a headhouse or main structure...

In other news I was nursing a hangover/extremely bored Sunday and walked from my place near Symphony hall all down Washington St from Mass Ave to Chinatown - hunted around NEMC for a while and think I might have an idea where the old portal is...
onthegreenline

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

No- Everett was built as a "temporary" station (Temporary like the "temporary" suspension of the Arborway trolley, I might add), but it was planned for, albeit not part of the original system. I haven't been down to the old portal since it was there, but I think that it may be pretty much covered by one of the hospital complexes buildings. If you stand on the Washington St. overpass near Traveler, picture a jog to the right (easterly). It was at this point that the ROW began it's descent into the Essex portal.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... d&BOOL=ANY
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby onthegreenline » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Hmm... not Everett... wouldn't that leave Green as the only station without some sort of ornate headhouse/structure? I'm guessing maybe they realized it was a long haul from Egleston to Forest Hills, sort of like how they added Arlington in the 20's once people realized it was too far between Boylston and Copley?
onthegreenline

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Yes...nicely done there, OTGL ! It was Green Street Station. The Boston Transit Commission had completed the Forest Hills Extension, and in fact were running service in and out of it on 11/22/09. At the time, service came directly into Forest Hills from Egleston Square Station. Residents of Jamaica Plain felt slighted, as Egleston Square sat on the northern edge of JP into Roxbury, and thus was not considered as serving JP. Forest Hills was recognized as a full-service terminal, serving residents of neighborhoods like Roslindale, West Roxbury, Hyde Park, Dedham, and south, as well. Forest Hills itself was close to the southern edge of Jamaica Plain leading into Roslindale. Therefore, residents of JP petitioned the Boston Transit Commission to construct a "halfway" station between Egleston and Forest Hills. They argued that currently the distance was too great and that they were not being served as a neighborhood. (I can't help but see similiar comparisons now to the JP residents around the Washington Street corridor.) About three years later, after Forest Hills had been up and running, Green Street Station opened up for service on 9/11/12.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Here is the question, is there a diffrence between the odd and even cars, of the Blue Line cars Pullman and St Louis cars?
Also if 2 odd cars go out of service(0551) and (0553), could you run their mates (0550 and 0552) together as a train. Yes or no? If not why? Gerry you know this you can answer this after everyone has tried their skill. :wink:
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 pm

No and yes- Odd and even need to be linked electrically as even numbered cars only carry pans- for outside running. I believe that you could run a single odd or even unit, or two odd units on the third rail inside the subway. To my knowledge, they are mechanically identical other than the pan. (If this were pre-Orient Heights Extension, the answer would be yes only.)

Do you know which of the 1/2's or 3's were heavier ? Carried more passengers ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Your right on the answer.(hint) but think of the underbody equipment not the top, but you are right about that fact.

Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby jwhite07 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 pm

On the T's married pair subway cars, some components are shared between the pair, i.e. one car carries the compressor, while the other carries the M/G or static converter. Or something along those lines...
jwhite07

Postby dieciduej » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 am

As far as I can remember the East Boston Tunnel 3s (0548-0587), Main Line 11s (01100-01199) and Cambridge 5s (01400-01491) started the Married Pair concept at the MTA. The only exception being the South Shore 1s (01500-01523) which were singles with cabs an both ends, although they have since be converted into one cab units.

The groups above and up to todays equipment, not counting the new East Boston Tunnel 5s, were semi-permanent pairs with true couplers on the B ends. The new East Boston Tunnel 5s have a plain drawbar, so mis-mating is almost impossible, over all the practice is frowned upon.

JoeD
JoeD

Member of IEEE, BSRA, ERA, BERA, SPH&TS, SFRH&MS, RGM&HS, UPHS, NHRHTA, NE PRRT&HS and PRRT&HS

This message was sent from a DEC VT100!
dieciduej

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 pm

No, the East Boston 1 & 2 Pullmans were also attached with a drawbar on their B ends. The A end carried Tomlinson couplers.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 222455.jpg
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby dieciduej » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 pm

3rdrail wrote:No, the East Boston 1 & 2 Pullmans were also attached with a drawbar on their B ends. The A end carried Tomlinson couplers.

Thanks for the clarification. So the East Boston Tunnel 1 & 2 were also Married Pairs, but was there a difference between underside equipment, one car with the compressor and the other with the motor-generator set? That is how I have always classified a Married Pair.

JoeD
JoeD

Member of IEEE, BSRA, ERA, BERA, SPH&TS, SFRH&MS, RGM&HS, UPHS, NHRHTA, NE PRRT&HS and PRRT&HS

This message was sent from a DEC VT100!
dieciduej

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Your welcome ! Here's the other end:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... ullman0517

As regards to having seperate equipment, I don't have their mechanical specs... however, I did communicate with a guy via email who's got a couple of them in Wisconsin who runs them singularly like trolleys (???) Apparently, the last quiz seems to indicate that they have seperate component(s) (???)
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Well, answering my question RE: weight comparisons of the E/B/T 1/2's to 3's, I was surprised to see that the #3 St. Louis cars are actually heavier than the #1/2 Pullmans by 5,540 lbs.(almost 3 tons). I would have expected cars built in the 1920's to be heavier than their counterparts built in the 1950's- "Who knew ??!!" If you wanted that massive beach party hauled out of Revere Beach, the Pullmans were your car, however. Their seating capacity carried three more passengers per car in spite of the fact that their lengths and aisles were shorter and that they carried six side doors per car as opposed to four on their #3 counterparts.

Now, as regards to "extra equipment" ? The diagram's that I have for both cars indicate no seperate indexes for odd and even numbered cars as per their weight for the Pullmans. I'm guessing that the pantograph is not part of the specs as they weren't equipped with pans before the East Boston Extension. Now, the St. Louis #3's did come from the factory with pans. And, correspondingly, there is a weight difference noted between what they refer to as "A" (even) and "B" cars (odd). Total light weight for A's is 49,540. Total light weight for B's is 48,640. That's a difference of 900 lbs. That seems adequate to explain the added weight of the pans on the A's, but other equipment ? Again, the Pullman specs don't differentiate between A and B. They are both 44,000 lbs. light.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby StevieC48 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Yes John and Paul got the answer correct, they had diffrent components underneath. One would be the BATTERY car and the other would be the BATTERY car. When the Hawker Siddleys came they had equal equipment on each car.

Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)