Remembering Boston's Main Line.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Remembering Boston's Main Line.

Postby The EGE » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:55 pm

I found a better scan online. Turns out, the Post Office Square line's Boylston platform would have spanned between the two Boylston stations. Platforms at Boylston, Washington, and Post Office Square. All offering transfers to two other lines. No Franklin stop - too close to Post Office Square.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 pm

I have to disagree with you there, Eggey. That's only a conceptionalized plan, much like the famous 1945 MTA map showing all sorts of extensions all over metropolitan Boston, so chances are that legal squabbles, obstructions, unseen impediments, political favors, and futuristic flow charts would change as construction neared, changing the route from it's initial conception. (Remember too that the BTC is trying to sell a minimally disturbing huge construction project here, also.) I still think that the tag-a-longs that I mentioned - Boylston Street and Boylston plus Franklin (which is probably the densest area within the entire city and very busy then as now) would have received it's own station. I would point to the fact that they have back to back platforms for Post Office Square to see the writing on the wall for this one. They would need more than two stations in the Financial Center with large platforms to accomodate work force crowds using this line to connect with the other lines back and forth.

It's interesting to look at completed projects from their conceptionalized version to the completed one to see how they change and if they got either right. Two opposites were the Forest Hills Extension, a brilliant move that helped populate an entire region and the Huntington Ave. Subway, which didn't take into consideration the growth of Northeastern University, ending at Symphony, which as we know turned into a nightmarish operation for most of the span of Northeastern. Popping out of the hole at Ruggles would have been far better.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby The EGE » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 am

Paul: If you look closely, the two platforms on the loop are labeled "loading platform" and "unloading platform". Franklin is just 600 feet from the Washington and Post Office Square stations, which is incredibly close. It's also right on a curve, and the BTC avoided platforms on curves for the most part. I suppose we can only speculate, though.

It's interesting that the Washington station has staggered platforms. Only Boylston and Copley had similar staggered platforms on the Tremont Street Subway and Boylston Street Subway, though most Main Line stations were built that way.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:01 am

Yes, unfortunately all we can do is speculate at this point, however I don't see how one station would fill that capacity need. It would be for purposes of easing the riding public's congestion on platforms, not spatial concerns above ground, that I believe that another near-by station would be required. As far as the curve is concerned, it wouldn't be the first station to not align precisely with it's name. Come to think of it, that might be the very reason that they didn't go through with it. The BTC may have known that there would be considerable resistance from corporations with juice to not uproot business in that area with the needed multiple stations.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Disney Guy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 am

The Green Line Boylston station quite vividly shows the tunnel width limitations that led to staggered platforms. The center tracks undulate between the platforms.

While building basements did not impose this width limitation, several other factors led to the staggered platforms:

Public pressure not to dig up too much of the Boston Common.
A cemetery at the corner of Boylston and Tremont.
The flyunder for the southbound track continuing on Tremont St.
Having a separate station meaningfully at Boylston St as opposed to having just one larger station at Park St.

Meanwhile tunnel width limitations were the primary reason for staggered Orange Line platforms.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 am

My Rail , it might have been a wet hole at Ruggles, doesnt the Stoney feed into the Fens somewhere around there. i think the Museum of Fine Arts is built on pontoons.............
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 am

The Boston & Providence RR built their Main Line in Boston following the Stony. It's still there. It has just been put underground in it's own "subway tunnel". There are sections of the city that when it gets very quiet, such as around 4AM quiet, you can actually hear the Stony Brook rushing below. Point being that it seems as if they figured out nicely how to contend with this natural waterway.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:12 pm

The EGE wrote:Franklin is just 600 feet from the Washington and Post Office Square stations, which is incredibly close.

You mean Summer Street, not Washington.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby The EGE » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:
The EGE wrote:Franklin is just 600 feet from the Washington and Post Office Square stations, which is incredibly close.

Summer Street, yes - but the extension would have connected via the now-Red Line platforms, called Washington.
The EGE

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 pm

The EGE wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

Summer Street, yes - but the extension would have connected via the now-Red Line platforms, called Washington.

Ah, ok.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)