Remembering Boston's Main Line.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Remembering Boston's Main Line.

Postby DaveCantor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 pm

jonnhrr wrote:Everett station had a double crossover outbound of the station then tail tracks. Inbound there was a single trailing point crossover, then a trailing point connection to the shops.
That is from a 1973 track map, I doubt that things had changed much since the 1960's.

Correct. There was also a REMNANT of a facing point switch off to the right, possibly an old connection to the shops. The remnant was a single right-hand rail curving away from the inbound track, but there was no switch, and no left-hand rail and no frog.
So the only way I can think of that there would be a red over yellow would be if this train was leaving from the normal outbound platform then crossing over, which they would not normally do unless there was an issue using the tail tracks. Of course this indication would be on a signal on the outbound track side. Are you sure it departed from the usual inbound platform? Of course if that was the case, the signal would most likely clear to red over red until and if a following train had to also depart from the outbound platform and the crossover had been set for the route.

Jon

The signal I saw was definitely on the inbound side and I could see the second (but not first) signal farther inbound (up the ramp to the elevated structure) which was green. The inbound signal on the outbound side controlling the reverse movement over the crossover from a just-arrived train was a 2-lamp dwarf signal.

Dave C.
DaveCantor

Postby DaveCantor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:The diverging route signal may have been a result of some condition further up the line, requiring added caution leaving Everett. For example:

Mystic Drawbridge open.

Move underway in Sullivan Sq. complex.

The interlocking signals ahead would have been red over red, though some intermediate signals may have been normal. IIRC there were 4 or 5 more interlocking signals between Everett and the Sullivan platform.

Hmmph. That would be very weird to have a red-over-yellow then several greens leading up to a yellow and a red-over-red, but I guess it's possible. Yes, there were several interlockings between Everett and Sullivan. It's weird to have a red-over-yellow when there is no diverging route at all.

Thanks.

Dave C.
DaveCantor

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:52 am

Tony Curtis at North Station inbound. (Pretty good Boston accent, a rarity for Hollywood and tribute to Curtis as an actor.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtHWJ-RBmII
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 am

Wonder if he knew of his proximity of the " little bridge ".
Teamdriver

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Anybody know where this is ? (Correct answer gets you a "Main Line Connoisseur" Rating !)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... inLine.jpg

That is where this is going to be............

Major housing, stores coming to T parcel
January 4, 2013

''FOREST HILLS—Developer Urbanica is planning to build 120 new units of housing on “Parcel U” across the street from Forest Hills Station starting in 2014.

Urbanica’s bid for the parcel was selected by the MBTA, spokesperson Joe Pesaturo told the Gazette, and Urbanica is expected to agree to the T’s terms by today.

Vacant “Parcel U,” encompassing about 2.8 acres, is one of a handful of parcels that the T has been trying to sell, with limited success, since 2007. It is bounded by Hyde Park Avenue on the east and Ukraine Way on the north. It extends just south of Walk Hill Street.''
http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2013/01/ ... -t-parcel/
Teamdriver

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Teamdriver wrote:Anybody know where this is ? (Correct answer gets you a "Main Line Connoisseur" Rating !)

Teamdriver: the above link yields:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /albums/aa26/ on this server.
BigUglyCat

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:11 pm

It's not linking me either.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:49 pm

3rdrail wrote:It's not linking me either.

That was from the initial post of this thread:
'' by 3rdrail » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 pm

I thought that this would be an interesting thread as there is a lot here. Please submit your rememberances, factoids, photos, experiences, etc. For purposes of brevity, let's keep the subject matter to the line's Forest Hills to Sullivan Square/Everett 1909/1919 to 1975 routing, including both the Washington Street and Charlestown Elevateds as well as the Washington Street Tunnel and service inside the Tremont Street Subway (1901-1908). Thanks !

Anybody know where this is ? (Correct answer gets you a "Main Line Connoisseur" Rating !)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... inLine.jpg ''

Strange I got the same verbotten,but if you go to the first post of this thread and click Rail's original link, it works! Sorry , dont understand, cant splain it to you.
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm

~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby MarkB » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Teamdriver wrote:Anybody know where this is ? (Correct answer gets you a "Main Line Connoisseur" Rating !)

That is where this is going to be............

Major housing, stores coming to T parcel
January 4, 2013

''FOREST HILLS—Developer Urbanica is planning to build 120 new units of housing on “Parcel U” across the street from Forest Hills Station starting in 2014.

Urbanica’s bid for the parcel was selected by the MBTA, spokesperson Joe Pesaturo told the Gazette, and Urbanica is expected to agree to the T’s terms by today.

Vacant “Parcel U,” encompassing about 2.8 acres, is one of a handful of parcels that the T has been trying to sell, with limited success, since 2007. It is bounded by Hyde Park Avenue on the east and Ukraine Way on the north. It extends just south of Walk Hill Street.''
http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2013/01/ ... -t-parcel/

"The Forest Hills Planning Initiative (FHII) Use and Design Guidelines, completed in 2008, state that the parcel should include a mixed-use project of housing, including affordable units, and retail or commercial space. It should also house locally-supportive businesses such as hardware stores, bookstores or dry cleaners.

The guidelines also state that 4,000 square feet should be set aside for community use, such as a day care facility. They further ask for 150 housing units, half of which should be affordable; 130 residential parking spaces; and for 30,000 square feet, or 24 percent of the parcel’s area, to be left as open space."

And they wonder why it takes so long to get things built.
MarkB

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Should of left Tower H sitting as a penthouse suite ! Regarding the conditional language in the offer, it does extend build and occupancy time, there is no doubt. It also protects neighborhoods from having developers come in after buying MBTA vacant land and erecting "Arboretum Palacial Mansion Estates" and charging a sum more in line with Manchester-by-the-Sea than Rozzie. I've been watching the Rozzie sub-station, and recently had to applaud a sale that was actually retracted when it was discovered that it's intended use differed from what was suggested (unless it was a CVS !). I still want to buy that old firehouse at Walk Hill/Wenham. I wonder if it still has it's pole ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Boylston/Boylston Street Stations

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the original plan for Chinatown (Boylston) Station as regards Boylston Street Station in the Tremont Street Subway. It's curious that the stations carry almost an identical name with the two being roughly 400 feet away from one another. The similiar naming is the only one that you will find on the system for two distinctly different stations. I was wondering if a corridor, perhaps like the Winter Street Corridor, might have been envisioned for the 1908 opening to allow for a pedestrian connection between the two. Might a connection be there already ? There has consistantly been talk of tunnels all in that area under the Theatre District. Anyone have a 1903-1908 BTC report ? It might be indicated there.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 pm

I don't know anything about a pedestrian corridor between the two, but there were plans for a subway from Boylston to Post Office Square, which undoubtedly would have had its own platforms at Chinatown. Obviously, none of this subway was built, and the only physical traces of the plan for it that I know of is a widening of the tunnel along the inbound track by the Charles crossover so that the first few feet of the Post Office Square Subway could be built without impacting service.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby The EGE » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 am

Post Office Square Subway would have had stations at Chinatown, Downtown Crossing, and State - all connecting with the heavy rail stations. Here's a modern adaptation of a very poor old scan.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (71.72 KiB) Viewed 745 times

Paul, nothing in the BTC reports indicates a pedestrian tunnel from Tremont to Washington streets via Boylston. Remember, the Winter Street connection wasn't originally a pedestrian tunnel - intended originally for similar purpose to the Broadway streetcar tunnel if memory serves correctly.
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Interesting ! So, the division that never was would have had the stops Boylston [Surface], Boylston [Main] (and there may be the answer to my question), Washington (explains the Summer St. Corridor nicely) probably Franklin, and terminal Post Office Square.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)