Man electrocuted by third rail at Haymarket

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Man electrocuted by third rail at Haymarket

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:44 am

trigonalmayhem

Postby Reddy Rocker » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:30 am

That was a really stupid thing for that guy to do, jumping onto the tracks just to get a few coins. If his family tried to sue the T, they'd get laughed out of court.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:40 am

Yeah, I know. That guy should have known better not to go into the trackage pit. If I had the same situation myself, I just would have left those coins in the trackage pit, I certainly wouldn't have gone down the track pit myself, I'd leave that to T personnel.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:02 am

One of the points the article made, though, was that he was from New Zealand where they have no such thing as electrified third rails. He probably didn't really understand the concept since it was his first time abroad, and given that he was drunk he probably didn't pay attention to the signs posted.

It's sad, but still his own fault, though.
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:11 am

That's a sorry excuse for some really stupid behavior. Students come to Boston from all over the world, and most of them are from places without electrified third rails.* They still usually know better than to jump into a subway pit.

* In the US, that would be everywhere except Boston, NYC area, Philly, DC, Chicago, SF Bay area, LA -- am I leaving any out?
Ron Newman

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:54 am

You say that, but isn't there usually at least one BU student a year who gets hit by the B line?

Also, you did leave a couple out, namely: Atlanta and Baltimore.
trigonalmayhem

Postby MBTA1 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:35 pm

Stupid, I don't care how much money it was, jumping into a pit is a stupid Idea.
MBTA1

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:37 pm

Yea there was not only the risk of the third rail but getting hit by a train also.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:55 pm

i dunno, if there was $1000 dollars on the tracks and no trains, i would do it, but i would of course watch out for the third rail
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby 7 Train » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:10 pm

In the US, that would be everywhere except Boston, NYC area, Philly, DC, Chicago, SF Bay area, LA -- am I leaving any out?

Also, you did leave a couple out, namely: Atlanta and Baltimore.

Miami is the only other city you forget that uses third rail.
7 Train

Postby AmtrakFan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:21 pm

That's dumb to go down get a Few Coins not Bright. Also If I was the Judge and his Familey Sued I'd thorw it out before Jury Selection and laugh at them.

AmtrakFan
AmtrakFan

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:26 pm

Apparently being from New Zealand is now a defense in court for being stupid. Who decides they are going to "kill some time" on ANY railroad tracks? Obviously alcohol was involved. And I'm pretty sure NZ has electric trains too.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby efin98 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:01 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:Apparently being from New Zealand is now a defense in court for being stupid. Who decides they are going to "kill some time" on ANY railroad tracks? Obviously alcohol was involved. And I'm pretty sure NZ has electric trains too.

-otto-

Alcohol and a bit of "cover your butt" by his friend is involved, still no excuse whatsoever. And the claim that they did not see the signs is bogus- I know for a fact that they are clearly visible from anywhere on the platforms in that station!

New Zealand may have electric trains but I don't think they are third rail users- probably mostly catenary wire using electrics.
efin98

Postby I.M. Judge » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:09 pm

I could maybe buy this story if the guy was from, say, Japan, or even Europe, but they speak ENGLISH in New Zealand, and the warning signs are EVERYWHERE on the platforms. I am suprised that there were no interviews with bystanders... I mean, anytime I have seen any non T employee on the tracks, I always say something to them. Did nobody try to stop them?
I.M. Judge

Postby jrc520 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:31 pm

most people don't care. Hell, I've yelled at teens @ ruggles a few times, with me having to run over to them, and there being many people around. used to boggle me. not any more of course.
jrc520

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)