MBTA to remove seats from Red Line cars (Big Red)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA to remove seats from Red Line cars (Big Red)

Postby csor2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:18 pm

On a side note, I spotted the Big Red pair on an Alewife train at Charles/MGH around 2 today...odd that they were running outside of rush hour.
csor2010

Postby digitalsciguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

csor2010 wrote:On a side note, I spotted the Big Red pair on an Alewife train at Charles/MGH around 2 today...odd that they were running outside of rush hour.

Yeah, these cars are almost never run when and in the direction of travel where they will carry the peak number of passengers at rush hour.
digitalsciguy

Postby sery2831 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I have reopened this thread.

We are not going to discuss the crash worthiness of the cars... or how safe or unsafe the cars may be. That is out of our control. If you have a concern, please contact the MBTA or MassDOT. Anymore posts continuing this matter will be deleted...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:51 am

I got Big Red today(Sunday) and was quite shocked to see it out on a Sunday. Then when I was more shocked to see they have returned HALF of the seats to the cars!!! It is no longer Big Red! It's Little Red!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 am

sery2831 wrote:I got Big Red today(Sunday) and was quite shocked to see it out on a Sunday. Then when I was more shocked to see they have returned HALF of the seats to the cars!!! It is no longer Big Red! It's Little Red!

That's odd. I've been riding somewhat often on weekdays and have not seen it in a very long time...

I noticed that about the seats as well, when I last saw them months ago, they reinstalled half of the seats in an alternating pattern. For example, on the right side you'd have door, seats, door, standing, door, seats, door, and then the opposite side would be door, standing, door, seats, door, standing, door.
BostonUrbEx

Postby danib62 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

I've also noticed that the PA system in stations will no longer announce that the next train is a big red when it is running. It announces it as a regular train.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

That doesnt make sense, isnt ridership growing? They need more capacity, not less.
jamesinclair

Postby The EGE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm

The trains were never more than a gimmick. A standing person doesn't take up much less space than a sitting person, and more people requires more dwell time at stations. The only way to actually increase capacity is to reduce headways, which requires either faster speeds or a larger fleet.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby cpontani » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Larger fleet is impossible. So the only way is to reduce headways with increased speed.
cpontani

Postby The EGE » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

cpontani wrote:Larger fleet is impossible. So the only way is to reduce headways with increased speed.

Larger fleet come replacement, that is, which was supposed to be several years ago but is now unlikely till nearly 2020.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:31 pm

The EGE wrote:The trains were never more than a gimmick. A standing person doesn't take up much less space than a sitting person, and more people requires more dwell time at stations. The only way to actually increase capacity is to reduce headways, which requires either faster speeds or a larger fleet.

A standing person uses approximately half the square footage of a seated one. A standing person on a pole uses almost a third of the square footage of a person seated on a transverse seat. Negligible difference if seated passenger is on a longitudinal seat. For what it's worth, I've always liked the mixed seating arrangements, such as on the DC cars. You get a nice compromise between capacity and creature comfort.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm

The EGE wrote:
cpontani wrote:Larger fleet is impossible. So the only way is to reduce headways with increased speed.

Larger fleet come replacement, that is, which was supposed to be several years ago but is now unlikely till nearly 2020.

I know the Orange Line new car procurement is planned to increase the fleet, but isn't the Red Line procurement only funded for 74 cars?
RailBus63

Postby The EGE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't know whether they're actually planning to increase the fleet size. It's quite obvious, though, that they should.
The EGE

Postby boblothrope » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 pm

The EGE wrote:I don't know whether they're actually planning to increase the fleet size. It's quite obvious, though, that they should.

Why? They have trouble maintaining the existing headway, without backups at Alewife and at the downtown stations. Unless they can speed up trains in those areas, there's no point to adding more trains during peak periods.
boblothrope

Postby diburning » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 am

Longer station stop times due to OPTO aren't helping the headways either. Right now, off-peak, trains are scheduled at 16 minute intervals, and they can barely make that. During peak periods, it's a hit or miss.
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)