Station Progress Update

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Station Progress Update

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:34 pm

I figure I would start a new thread to talk about the progress of all the new stations (Silver Line, Red Line, Blue Line, Green Line).
I dont get down to Dot much so I don't see how all the new stations are looking. I have been by the Silver Line platform at South Station and it is looking nice. The tiles are on the walls but it is far from done. I'll post pics if I can get'em.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby MBTA1 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:41 pm

The North Station Green platform is already looking shabby, it has water and other fluids leaking from the walls and the rails are rattling (sp?) as if they aren't tied down.
MBTA1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:04 pm

There was a huge gaping hole in what used to be the ground by the turnstyles at South Station the other day.
In the hole was the new stairs/escalator down to the silver line platform.

It was kind of funny, because the area closed off around the hole included two or three turnstyles (one of which was at the very edge of the hole).
trigonalmayhem

Postby FatNoah » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:48 am

At south station, one can occasionally see into the Silver Line boarding area. The views seem to get better as construction progresses.

The Silver Line station on Congress St. @ fan pier looks good from above ground and the one near the Seaport Hotel looks like it's been done for a while. I'm not sure how much work is still happening underneath in the tunnel though.
FatNoah

Postby FatNoah » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:50 am

Actually, is Silver Line discussion germane to this forum? After all, this is MBTA Rail Operations. Maybe we're just dreaming of a Silver Line LRV future! :wink:
FatNoah

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:43 pm

This isnt about bus opperations though. It also is about more than the Silver Line.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:57 pm

I dont get down to Dot much so I don't see how all the new stations are looking.

Well, Savin Hill is still nothing more than a plastic safety barrier outlining where the platform used to be...
jwhite07

Postby apodino » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:06 pm

I noticed a long time ago that many of the Blue Line Stations that were rebuilt recently are already falling Apart. The tactile strip at Revere Beach is a joke, and the tiling is crumbling, and I have noticed similar at other stations along the line, making me wonder how cheap the material was. Maverick still seems to be in good condition compared to a lot of the new stations, though it does need a renovation.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby MBTA1 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:52 pm

Are we thinking of the same Maverick? Maverick is a dump!
MBTA1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:17 pm

Oh, I don't know.
Maverick might be a little (lot) dirty, but it's at least pretty durable. It doesn't seem to be in as obvious a state of decay because the entire thing is decaying at the same (somewhat slow) rate. That just makes it seem kind of old and dumpy, but not obviously falling apart.

By comparison the new stations are falling apart here and there, and so when one thing is very obviously broken it really stands out against all the other clean and new things in the station.
trigonalmayhem

Oak Grove and Malden Stations (Organge Line)

Postby Ed Canney » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:22 pm

The "T" recently finished painting the interior of the Oak Grove Station, including the ceilings which had been peeling for years. Looks pretty good - now if they could just clean the stairways a little. As for Malden, well I can't figure out what they are doing. It seems like they have been working on this station for ever inside and out. Have not seen anything as to when it is suppose to be completed.
Ed Canney

Postby efin98 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:51 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:Oh, I don't know.
Maverick might be a little (lot) dirty, but it's at least pretty durable. It doesn't seem to be in as obvious a state of decay because the entire thing is decaying at the same (somewhat slow) rate. That just makes it seem kind of old and dumpy, but not obviously falling apart.

By comparison the new stations are falling apart here and there, and so when one thing is very obviously broken it really stands out against all the other clean and new things in the station.

It's mainly just one platform on one rehabbed Blue Line station that is a problem in my opinion- Revere Beach station inbound. The floor tiles are coming up all over the place, the tactile strip at the end of the platform near the stairs is missing, and the lighting is horrid. Other than that all of the other platforms are doing great and are not bad compared to other stations in the system.

Maverick on the other hand is a dump. It needs an upgrade desperately. Water seepage from the harbor tunnel is only going to get worse, the platforms are falling apart, the collumns supporting the roof are starting to decay at the base, and the exits desperately need widening.
efin98

Postby savebowdoin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:32 pm

Beachmont station's platforms are also falling apart at a rapid rate... The tiles are coming up all over the place, creating dangerous walking conditions. Whatever materials they used to install the tiles at the newer Blue Line stations doesn't seem to be holding up well to the environment... Let's hope Airport will hold together a little longer!

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby efin98 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:28 pm

savebowdoin wrote:Beachmont station's platforms are also falling apart at a rapid rate... The tiles are coming up all over the place, creating dangerous walking conditions. Whatever materials they used to install the tiles at the newer Blue Line stations doesn't seem to be holding up well to the environment... Let's hope Airport will hold together a little longer!

Mike

Beachmont isn't too bad, at least compared to Revere Beach. The problems are mostly weather related as those platforms are open to the elements and coupled with the salt air spraying in it's makign the tiles unusable. Don't be surprised if they get removed in favor of something better or bare concrete itself.
efin98

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)