Official Rail Washer Thread

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Official Rail Washer Thread

Postby GP40MC1118 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 pm

The Southside Wash Train went over two weeks ago...MBTX 30 (Flat) & MBTX 2517 (Tank)
Southside works Sunday through Thursday. Sunday is the designated CSX Boston Line night, but it
looks like they won't be out on the B&A.
Northside Wash Train came out of W.Cambridge today and is at BET. Starts Sunday night OD8PM.
Works Sunday through Thursday.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby banshee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:02 am

Middleboro line suffered 10-15 minute delays today due to "slippery track conditions". Guess I know where the washer will be sent next!
banshee

Postby sery2831 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 am

From the Delay thread:
BandM4266 wrote:
sery2831 wrote:There are two power washers units. One North and one South. They cannot wash at track speed, so they can only get a small section of system each night. The last two nights, the weather with the fall leaves falling caused significant slippery rail that could not have been prevented with the power washer.

Please limit the discussion on the power washer units to the thread about them.

They only send them out at night? I thought I saw one last year in Rockport around 12pm waiting to follow the next Inbound back to Boston.

Currently they have an assigned crew that works the train Sunday to Thursday on the North Side, I am not sure how the South Side is doing it. In the past they have had the work train crew wash the rails during the day. And when it was new a few years back it ran during the day with an extra crew like it does now.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Komarovsky » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am

Does the rail washer use just straight water to wash the rails or is something else mixed with it?
Komarovsky

Postby diburning » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Straight pressurized water.
diburning

Postby Badandy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 am

Rail washer now at Beverly Jct. working towards Rockport at 11:00AM. Andy
Badandy

Postby agarturbo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:21 pm

The leaves are changing colors and both rail washers are at the West Cambridge Maintenance Yard. Can fall be far away?
Trains don't run on schedules, son. They run on tracks.
agarturbo

Postby dieciduej » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:37 am

agarturbo wrote:The leaves are changing colors and both rail washers are at the West Cambridge Maintenance Yard. Can fall be far away?

And before you know it the Flanger, Jordan Spreader and Rotary will be on the ready track. OK, maybe in Truckee! :P

I better pick up my supply of leaf bags.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 am

agarturbo wrote:The leaves are changing colors and both rail washers are at the West Cambridge Maintenance Yard. Can fall be far away?

Fall is around the corner, I've already encountered some slightly slick spots on the rail already...
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby agarturbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 pm

AEM7 - Curious as to what that feels like up in the cab, what you can do about it, and what those of us in the back of the bus would perceive this.
agarturbo

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:00 pm

agarturbo wrote:AEM7 - Curious as to what that feels like up in the cab, what you can do about it, and what those of us in the back of the bus would perceive this.

Believe it or not we feel everything up in the cab just like you feel in the body of the train just not as severe because of the weight of the loco itself, when the wheel slide system on the coaches release the brakes and then reapply it causes the slack to bunch up and stretch out so its pretty much like being kicked and then pulled in the loco. The new Rotems have a updated system which works a lot better because it only releases enough brake cylinder pressure to get the wheels turning again vs completely releasing the brakes like the current coaches do which makes train handling a lot smoother and allows us to still have somewhat control over the train during leaf season. Depending on how bad the rails are you just drop sand and brake a lot sooner then you normally would and just see what happens. Most engineers have different techniques of dealing with slippery rail but in certain places nothing works.. I remember last season I came in on the first train and completely missed swampscott because the dew and leaves are twice as worse together, when I went to put just a minimum reduction on a mile before the station the wheels all locked and I just said to myself here we go. Once the sound of the train goes silent from the wheels being locked you know you are in for it, instinct makes you want to grab more brake when you should be releasing some to try again.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby agarturbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Great detailed description of what happens when we hit a slippery spot. Sounds a little like driving on ice but with a heck of a lot more weight behind you. Thanks!
agarturbo

Postby TrainManTy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:58 pm

agarturbo wrote:Great detailed description of what happens when we hit a slippery spot. Sounds a little like driving on ice but with a heck of a lot more weight behind you. Thanks!

Seconded, thank you! I really appreciate the rails on this board that are willing to share what happens on the other side.
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 pm

With the rail washer's services being needed very soon, are there enough locomotives to put it in service without canceling trains? Maybe another Fall of renting P&W units?
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Or they'll just operate it on off-peak periods and weekends.
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)