Breda on E Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Breda on E Line

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:16 pm

Today at about 11:30am I was on the E Line heading towards North Station when a Breda and a rebuilt T7 (3609) traveling towards Heath Street. I believe it was a test car because there was no passengers except a few MBTA employees, also there was no destination sign.
MBTA1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:48 pm

I saw a type 8 at park street today that said "north station" on its LED sign.

It seems as though they've maybe been approved to run all the way there (finally).

I hope they start showing up on the B line again.
trigonalmayhem

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:57 pm

They have been approved. So this means that North Station will take Boeings, Type 7's, and Type 8s'. This also means that the Type 8's will also ride on any line but the D.
MBTA1

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:52 pm

Why not D?
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:02 pm

I don't know why, but I was told by a fellow railfan (Who wishes to remain nameless, and no its not me) that they don't have all of the clearences for the line.
MBTA1

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Clearances meaning they are too high to pass under bridges, or too wide to get by platforms or other obstructions?
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:06 pm

I dont know but I think I'm seeing him in a few days and ask him. This whole D-Line thing is hurting my credibility.
MBTA1

Postby jwhite07 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:26 am

Clearance as in permission from the DTE to run on the Riverside Line, not clearance in a physical sense. Type 8s had operated in revenue service on the Riverside Line before the derailment issues, and they are delivered to Riverside and tested on the line too. Obviously physical clearances are not, and never have been, an issue. It's just that the DTE hasn't yet gotten around to giving the MBTA an approval to resume operating Type 8s in revenue service there.
jwhite07

Postby caduceus » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:33 am

You know that figures...I never had the opportunity to ride a T8 (I only really went between North and Park/DTX), and now that they've got approval to go to North, I'm no longer riding the T... :(
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:10 pm

I definitely spotted a Breda on the B line today.
It's good to see them back out here again.
trigonalmayhem

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)