Red Line Trains Missing Harvard Square Station Stop

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Red Line Trains Missing Harvard Square Station Stop

Postby flyermike » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:21 am

This has happened to me on two occassions in the past month. Two days ago, coming from Central as the train is pulling into the station at Harvard Square during evening rush hour - the train slowed almost to a complete stop at the station then it bolted out of the station to come to a complete stop in the tunnel. The conductor rushed to the last car and said we missed the station and were going to back up. For 15 minutes we sat there and listened to the dispatch yell over the radio 6 times "is any of the train in the station - just answer yes or no". Eventually they gave up and we proceded to Porter and everyone had to get off and go back up stairs and catch another train back to Harvard.

A similar incident happened last month where the train pulled into the station, we sat there without the doors opening a good 2 or 3 minutes, and then the train just pulled out of the station and proceeded to Porter - no announcement or anything. At Porter someone asked the door operator "why didnt you open the doors at Harvard?" She just replied, "I Don't Know".

This again happened during evening rush hour.
flyermike

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:01 am

sounds like someone is in trouble
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:24 am

That's strange I don't think it's hard to stop a train in Harvard Square after coming of a 10 mph curve.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby jrc520 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:31 am

::BLINKS:: wtf? I can understand missing Central, but Harvard? with a #$#@interupt.

sorry. Just a little boggled there. Still, I don't get it. Harvard isn't hard to stop at. If anything, I could understand stopping short. But missing the station? That takes the cake.
jrc520

Postby ST214 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:07 pm

I think the part that takes the cake is the train that stops and didn't open the doors, then left, and said "I don't know why i didn't open the doors". MBTA incompentcy at it's best. Never fear, the T will never be normal.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby jrc520 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:30 pm

well, I'm going in to Harvard square tomorrow morning. I'll let all of you know if this happens. still can't get my mind around it(and I can picture a new 32valve Cadillac Northstar V8 - the whole thing, running in my head, all exposed and whatnot too.) [that's a wicked complex engine, for those who want to know]
jrc520

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:50 pm

I've often seen Red Line operators forget to open both doors, and open only one. Sometimes this happens at stop after stop.
Ron Newman

Postby flyermike » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:44 am

It was all pretty interesting. The first time.. the door operator... she was the only person in charge of opening the doors... and to say "I don't know".

The incident the other day... when we pulled into Porter Square after missing Harvard, the door operator was very flustered and she was very apologetic, but she kept telling everyone.. "when you exit the train.. proceed down stairs and catch the train back to Harvard"... everyone yelled back... "it's upstairs".... I think if the T hired frequent riders, things would operate more smoothly.

Another example would be when Management ordered the new trackless trolleys without the left doors originally...if they had consulted the drivers..or 90% of the riders.. the mistake wouldnt have happened.. we could have told them they needed left doors to operate in the Harvard Tunnel.
flyermike

Postby BigRock » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am

Was this on an 01800?

On the new trains, they receive signals from equipment on the rail which sends the train the current speed limit.

If you look at the controls, when the 01800 gets to the end of the outbound platform at Harvard, the 'speed limit' jumps from 10 to 39 miles per hour.

I guess the driver didn't compensate for this, and forgot to actually stop the train. Or perhaps the train signals are working so well they are getting the signal early.
Last edited by BigRock on Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigRock

Postby AEM7AC920 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:01 am

BigRock I was just thinking the same exact thing. I noticed that the train automatically stays 1 mph under the speed with the operator taking no action all he has to do is just keep the controller at full power and the train does the rest. Most likely if it was an 01800 the speed jumped before the operator pulled back the handle to stop and the train just sped up and it was too late.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby flyermike » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi. The first time, when we sat at the station and they didnt open the doors, it was 01800 series. The recent situation, when we slowed down and then left the station, it was 01600 series.
flyermike

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:33 pm

I don't know if they have a similar system on the blue line (though I doubt it), but when I was waiting for a blue line train at GC on Wednesday a train pulled into the station and slowed down to be almost stopped before speeding back out of the station without ever actually stopping or opening its doors.

I chalked it up to a 'schedule adjustment' aka they were probably having frequency problems and wanted to skip it further down since the station was so crowded, but it was still kind of annoying considering how long I'd been waiting.
trigonalmayhem

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)