Quite Possibly The Coolest Thing EVER - another MTA map

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Quite Possibly The Coolest Thing EVER - another MTA map

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:32 pm

This is quite possibly the coolest MTA map I have ever seen... looks like it dates to the period after the extension of the Blue Line... you will love the detail of this map.

http://www.tsny.com/otto/rrmaps/MTA_map.jpg

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby jrc520 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:44 pm

hehe. very nice. Transit library here in Boston has one in color :-D
jrc520

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:53 pm

The map shows the Science Museum, but not Science Park station.

City Square station is labelled just "Sq."

Wood Island station was called Day Square.

It looks like there was some kind of pedestrian connection between Haymarket station (Green Line) and North Station (Orange Line) ?

The commuter rail connection at Forest Hills is not shown.

Braves Field is labelled "University Field" so this is after the Braves left Boston at the end of the 1952 season.
Ron Newman

Postby BC Eagle » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:00 pm

2 Questions:

1) What line is the station Adams on? It looks like the Green Line, but I've never heard of it.

2) Was the present day Haymarket station on the Orange Line reconstructed, is it different from the original station? The map indicates that it used to be referred to as Union/Friend. The two names would suggest it was a disjointed station, much like State St, Downtown Crossing, and Chinatown still is.
BC Eagle

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:04 pm

Adams was a northbound-only stop on the Green Line, eliminated as part of Government Center urban renewal in the 1960s.

Before the MTA became the MBTA, a number of stations had multiple names, depending on which platform you were on:

Boylston/Essex - now Chinatown
Winter/Summer/Washington - now Downtown Crossing
State/Milk/Devonshire - now State
Haymarket/Union/Friend - now Haymarket
Ron Newman

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:00 am

That is indeed a very cool map, Otto. You seem to have found a great source for the rare and unusual!

Judging from what is and isn't on the map, I can say that it dates to sometime in 1954... specifically between January 19 (when what is now the Blue Line was extended from Suffolk Downs all the way to Wonderland) and October 21 (when Day Square Station was renamed Wood Island Park Station).

By the way, Ron, Adams Square Station was closed on 10/28/1963.
jwhite07

Quite Possibly the Coolest Thing Ever Another MTA Map

Postby eddiebear » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:37 am

Maps of this type were displayed in rapid transit cars up until about the time of the MBTA era.
eddiebear

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:18 am

jrc520, where is the transit library, i got to check that place out next time i am in Boston
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:56 am

Second floor of the State Transportation Building at Stuart and Charles Streets in downtown Boston. Ask for George Sanborn.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:26 am

thanks Ron
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby apodino » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:36 am

1954 makes sense. If you notice that the Tremont Tunnel to the broadway portal is still shown as being in use on the map, which if the T was smart, they would use again for Dudley. There is also no Riverside Line on the map, which would definitely put it before 1959.

It is a good map though. It looks like the green line tunnel was shortened after Adams closed, and relocated because city hall is now on that site. I didn't realize the southbound tunnel from Haymarket was still the same as it was back then.

Science Park opened in 1955. Thats why that station isn't on the map either.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby Otto Vondrak » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:37 am

For some reason, I want to say that Science Park station on the Green Line el didn't open until 1955 or 1956. I could be wrong.

The extension of the Blue Line is shown... but no Riverside Green Line... that wouldn't come till 1959... would have made this map unruly, too!

I didn't know that the Braves were in Boston until 1952... I thought they had left much earlier!

If I find any more interesting stuff, I'll post it.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby BC Eagle » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:59 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Adams was a northbound-only stop on the Green Line, eliminated as part of Government Center urban renewal in the 1960s.

Before the MTA became the MBTA, a number of stations had multiple names, depending on which platform you were on:

Boylston/Essex - now Chinatown
Winter/Summer/Washington - now Downtown Crossing
State/Milk/Devonshire - now State
Haymarket/Union/Friend - now Haymarket

Oh yeah, now I remember about Adams. Wasn't it right near where city hall is now, and closed when they built city hall?

I've always read that the Orange Line subway stations had two names because of the way they were constructed. There's some distance between the inbound/outbound platforms for State, Downtown Crossing, and Chinatown, so the dual names make sense for those stations. However, Haymarket Station as it exist today does not meet this criteria. Does anyone know if the present day Haymarket station is the original station, or has it been reconstructed?
BC Eagle

Postby octr202 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:20 pm

BC Eagle --

NETransit's article on abandoned stations lists nothing for Haymarket. I've never heard of it being moved to its present location.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:37 pm

The Orange Line Haymarket never was rebuilt but the Green Line platform was moved.
MBTA1

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)