DANGER: Do Not Walk on Ceiling

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

DANGER: Do Not Walk on Ceiling

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:46 am

If you walk out of the FleetCenter onto the commuter rail platforms and look up, you'll see lots of small signs on the ceiling above reading

DANGER
DO NOT WALK
ON CEILING

Any idea what this is all about?
Ron Newman

Postby fglk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:04 am

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fglk

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:09 am

These signs aren't on the rail cars. They are on the overhanging FleetCenter ceiling. Look way up the next time you're on the North Station platforms.
Ron Newman

Postby CRail » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:46 pm

I have seen these to. I was going to take a picture of one and ask the same thing on nerail.org, but i had a disposable camera without zoom. I noticed, though, that most of them are near an upsidown trap door. They must be telling people not to walk on the ceiling on the top for it might collaps, but thats just a guess.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:06 pm

Ron:

I believe that these strange signs you refer to are placed near hatches in the ceiling of the train shed. I always thought that they were an instruction not to climb through those hatches and expect to walk on that ceiling which would be the floor of that space.

I hope that helps.
SnoozerZ49

Postby NellsChoo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:42 pm

Maybe they just don't want people playing with the laws of gravity!!!
It is still GUILFORD to me... http://www.newenglanddepot.net
NellsChoo

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:58 pm

Massachusetts has a lot of literarily challenged people crafting signs (e.g., "stand back of white line" -- "back of"? How about "behind"?).

What it should say is not to walk on the roof, because as we all were taught at one time or another, the ceiling's what you call it from beneath, and the roof is what you call it from above.
Pete

Postby Plaidline » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:02 pm

Pete wrote:Massachusetts has a lot of literarily challenged people crafting signs (e.g., "stand back of white line" -- "back of"? How about "behind"?).

What it should say is not to walk on the roof, because as we all were taught at one time or another, the ceiling's what you call it from beneath, and the roof is what you call it from above.

Maybe the signs are directed toward insects?
Plaidline

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)