Parking Questions / Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Parking Questions / Discussion

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Actually I heard is that the pass is good for all lots, I think you're worng, banshee
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby diburning » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

And am I correct in assuming that the pass is only good in MBTA owned lots?
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm

It would have to be for MBTA owned lots. The lots that are town owned have separate enforcement/collection methods(resident stickers for example). And lots controlled by other small transit systems have passes already(LRTA and MART for example).

I am curious to how the pass will work, look like.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes, I think you're right, Mr. djburning. I doubt that you can use that monthly pass at municipal owned stations such as: Brockton Centre (owned by BAT), Mansfield (town owned), and of course Rte 128/Westwood, sincethat one is Amtrak owned and also has it's own electronic parking payment method.

Also, banshee, as far as using it in different lots, that shoudn't be an issue as long as they charge the same amount (4$/day) but you may be right about others (like the Red Subway, which charge more per day) but the monthly pass should be station-be-dextrous as long as they charge the same $4 per day.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby diburning » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Can someone list all of the MBTA owned lots and/or the non-MBTA owned lots please?
diburning

Postby Sudburian » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:59 am

Sudburian

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 am

Only $3/day to park for a $198/month ferry and we wonder why noone pays $4/day to park for a $223/month ride on the Greenbush?
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:52 am

And the boat serves beer!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby banshee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am

Co-Worker received a parking violation notice on his windshield for nonpayment last week. Not really noteworhty except the envelope was under the windshield wiper...right over the monthly pass which was sitting on the dash inside the car..in plain sight!

Way to go LAZ!
banshee

$21.00 non-payment fee

Postby bierhere » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Are they nuts? I'll be the first to admit that the $1.00 fee seems too low. If you use game theory on it, it pays to take the risk of not paying if you find out they are not checking the honor boxes very often, but $21.00? I think an increase in the fee to say $6.00 would have reasonable to stopping people from cheating. Ultimately its an honor box, and its very easy to be short a buck or to put your money in the wrong slot. Its also very easy to forget to pay. I refuse to pay electronically until the train actually arrives, I've had too many no show trains to pay before the train arrives. But if I get on the train and distracted, I'll forget to pay. I don't mind paying a reasonable free, but don't see how $21.00 is reasonable.

Are they going to offer parking refunds with they cancel trains? They answer is no, but they want to charge me an outrageous fee for forgetting to pay.

Imagine what is going to happen to the occasional rider, the person who rides the train once or twice a year and doesn't have have 4 dollar bills and itsn't signed up for the electronic payment system.
bierhere

Re: $21.00 non-payment fee

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm

seems reasonable to me, next time you won't forget ;-)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby butts260 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:15 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:the surcharge for buying a ticket on the train should be $5 for non peak trains and $10 during peak

So if I and my wife want to take the train into Boston from Rockport, we pay an extra $10; or is there a ticket office somewhere in Rockport I can get the tickets ahead of time?
butts260

Postby Chemist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I saw this notice for the first time today when I arrived back at my car this evening. I agree with the opening post -- ridiculous increase. There have been times I paid and got a notice for non payment, and other times where I might have put money in the wrong slot. I don't think I've ever actually forgotten, but I have paid twice on a number of occasions. Now, If I happen to not have exactly $4.00, I might as well drive all the way into Cambridge (Kendall Square area) and park for less where I can pay with a credit card if need be (I've done that on those occasions when my train is cancelled, so I know what that costs). I might wind up buying a monthly pass, but that won't be a good deal for months where I am taking a week or more vacation or business trip, and it won't work for my wife who only goes in a few time per week.
Chemist

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Just pay the $4. If you think that that's too high, park in the City. You'll feel like you won the Lottery in the T's lot.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby chfriend » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Here's the article about the non-payment fee from Boston.com:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/braintree/2011/06/local_t_stations_develop_new_c.html

I usually park at Riverside when I go into Boston, but obviously that doesn't usually work if the Red Sox have a home game. In those cases I've found Waban to be reliable. Unfortunately, both times I've parked there I've paid and gotten a yellow ticket. The first time I had to call and whine at them because I had stuffed $6 into the box because I didn't have exact change (and yes, it was the correct space). They supposedly removed the violation.

The second time was a few weeks after and I decided to pay online through parkmobile before I even left the lot. Surprise! Another violation when I got back to the truck. The receipt ended up stuffed into the parking spot slot with a nasty message on it and I had to email Parkmobile customer service to get the violation removed from my record.

If they are going to enforce this they better fix the issues they are having with the equipment and persons they are using to collect and record parking payments because there is obviously a problem. The second time almost ever car in the lot had a violation envelope on the windshield or driver's side window. I'm willing to bet most of these people had paid and they were trying to take advantage of the fact that most of them are Red Sox fans and wouldn't even bother fighting the surcharge.

Has anyone else had this issue (besides the aforementioned monthly parking pass person who got a ticket right over the pass)?

Chris
chfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)