Parking Questions / Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Parking at Oak Grove

Postby jbn7474 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi all,
Was coming into the city for a couple of days and was wondering if you could park at Oak Grove or any other T station for 48 hrs. The cost of parking downtown is outragious and wanted to know if I could do this as an alternative.
jbn7474

Re: Parking at Oak Grove

Postby lockt87 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:53 pm

jbn7474 wrote:Hi all,
Was coming into the city for a couple of days and was wondering if you could park at Oak Grove or any other T station for 48 hrs. The cost of parking downtown is outragious and wanted to know if I could do this as an alternative.

Oak Grove station does not permit overnight parking, the nearest station on the Orange Line you could leave a vehicle for that long is Wellington station. If it doesn't have to be on the Orange Line, I've always had good luck parking at Alewife. If there's any snow/ice while you're here, that might be a better bet since its a covered garage and not a surface lot.

You can find more information about parking on the T's website
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/parking/
lockt87

Re: Parking Questions

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 am

Wow, reading these comments I feel I'm being ripped for my $5.50/day at Oak Grove. :(

And @whoever said Oak Grove needs a garage... YES, it really does! IMO, any terminus should...
BostonUrbEx

Postby RailBus63 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:21 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:And @whoever said Oak Grove needs a garage... YES, it really does! IMO, any terminus should...

I disagree, since Oak Grove is located in more of a residential neighborhood with poor highway access. Wellington and Sullivan have the best highway access on the Haymarket North extension and those stations should be the key Park & Ride stations on the line with appropriate parking facilities.

Ashmont and Forest Hills are other examples of terminal stations with less than ideal highway access.
RailBus63

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I have a quick question, I heard from an A/C the other day that they have to pay for their own parking when reporting to Stoughton, Needham or Providence for a job. It got me thinking, can't they just put their MBCR hat in their dashboard and not have to pay since they work for the RR??
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Nope, parking is an issue with all of us too. There are some locations that are not official parking areas for employees, but it's allowed. However, sometimes we have lost these priviledges because of someone being careless or selfish, such as not locking a gate after exiting, or blocking an area that C&S or track departments need access to.

There are only a couple of a/c positions that report in Stoughton. Needham has some parking inside the facility, just like Franklin and Worcester, but not enough.
CSX Conductor

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 pm

oh man thats rough! so the A/C's have to pay the 4 bucks a day to park at a station if they have to!!?? wow lol
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am

I'm sure they might be able to claim it on their tax return.
CSX Conductor

Postby jamesinclair » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:39 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:oh man thats rough! so the A/C's have to pay the 4 bucks a day to park at a station if they have to!!?? wow lol

Why is this a problem?

People who drive downtown pay $30 a day.

They could always bike instead.
jamesinclair

Postby sery2831 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:40 am

Just like everyone else that has to pay to park to go to work. The Asst. Conductors are no different. The only argument I have always tried is, we don't get to choose where we have to park, where everyone else does. But it falls on deaf ears.

I think we have beat this to death. Lets move on from employee parking issues... Please :-)
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby jbvb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am

The city of Haverhill (with considerable assistance from state/federal) has started construction of what appears to be a 4-story garage with possible office or station-like space on the corner of Granite St. facing Railroad Sq. Pictures on the site fence show a bridge to the easterly platform. Given that the Haverhill downtown station lot has rarely been more than half full since the increase to $4, I wonder what they're going to charge. I have the impression that a lot of commuters coming from outside the immediate Haverhill area shifted to Lawrence so they could save $1/day.
jbvb

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 pm

ahhh true true, I didn't look at it that way. Sure thing sery, my question was answered :)
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

MBTA to start selling monthly parking passes

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm

"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Re: Parking Questions / Discussion

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Yeah I heard about that yesterday, and I WILL jump into that. I just hope that these passes can be used at the honor box sections of the Quincy Adams and Braintree Parking Garages, since they are $7 a day and they sell for $70 a month, which would save me around $80 a month while the CR lots which charge $4 a day will be saved $10 a month. That would be great for me, since I could use it everywhere I take the train from that has MBTA honor boxes, especially around Southeast Ma, which I sometimes do depending on my extracurricular activities' location after work
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Re: Parking Questions / Discussion

Postby banshee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah I heard about that yesterday, and I WILL jump into that. I just hope that these passes can be used at the honor box sections of the Quincy Adams and Braintree Parking Garages, since they are $7 a day and they sell for $70 a month, which would save me around $80 a month while the CR lots which charge $4 a day will be saved $10 a month. That would be great for me, since I could use it everywhere I take the train from that has MBTA honor boxes, especially around Southeast Ma, which I sometimes do depending on my extracurricular activities' location after work

Robert,
Don't get too excited. Initial reports are that you will be buying a pass that is good at ONE lot only...whichever is your "home" lot.
It would make sense to have a pass be valid at ANY honor box lot but that's not what i've heard.

Also Garages with small honor box lots are not likely to be included in the monthly program (like QA or Braintree)
banshee

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)