Parking Questions / Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Parking question

Postby l008com » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 pm

What about oak grove? Don't they have both? A gate at one side and commuter rail style yellow box on the other?
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:18 am

Veristek wrote:Why don't they have automated gates that only open once you put in the money? I've seen some automated gates at toll booths like that. It could save the T some much needed money to get out of its debt, and reassign these attendants to more cruical jobs like driving trains or buses, or work at BET or what have you.

The people that collect the money do not work for the T, they are contractors. Just like the people that work at BET.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:
diburning wrote:most lots have a box where you stuff the money into. I think they do routine checks and empty the box and tow cars in spaces that haven't been paid for.

The box is for violation tickets they give to you if you do not pay in the morning, if you wait to pay when you come off the train going home from work in the afternoon, they you'll see a little yellow ticket affixed to the windshield which you must also put in an extra 75-cent penalty for failing to pay in advance. Also, you do not get credit for payment in wrong slot, so always make sure the slot number matches the space in which you parked your vehicle.

Also, there's this type of pre-pay parking available up front at Braintree Station's Pick Up-Drop-Off area, but you need to get there very early in the morning.

Not for Worcester station. That parking lot is unmanned although they arrive at certain intervals to collect the money out of the box. They only charge a dollar for parking and it says specifically to pay the box.

Veristek wrote:
e-m00 wrote:
l008com wrote:OK so if it's $3.50 to park, what are you supposed to do, squeeze some quarters up in the slot? And there's no way to tell if you haven't paid, unless no one has been in that spot all day right?

The lot at Wellington (where it costs $3.50) has gates with attendants who collect the fee when you leave.

Why don't they have automated gates that only open once you put in the money? I've seen some automated gates at toll booths like that. It could save the T some much needed money to get out of its debt, and reassign these attendants to more cruical jobs like driving trains or buses, or work at BET or what have you.

Because people could just smash through the gates and not pay?
diburning

Postby jbvb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Newburyport, Rowley, Haverhill, Bradford and (I think) most of the other Eastern/Western route stations have the yellow box and no gate/attendant. Lawrence has an attended garage, which cost $3 if you showed a train ticket last time I used it. It's been a while since I tried the Lynn garage, but at that time it was free, and from what I hear patronage hasn't increased....
jbvb

Postby l008com » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Back to oak grove again. The other day I tried to hop on the orange line to get into the city. I got to oak grove and there was a line of cars at the parking lot entrance. After about 5 or 10 minutes, the line hadn't moved. Thats when I figured the lot was probably full and the person as the booth was just waiting for someone to leave the lot. I wasn't next in line so I left and drove into boston. And actually made out well with meters.
This was around 1PM. So how often is oak grove's lot full like this? I can't take the train if I can't park at the station. If it's like this a lot, it's really going to ruin my plans to start taking the train to all my Boston appointments.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Veristek » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 pm

l008com wrote:Back to oak grove again. The other day I tried to hop on the orange line to get into the city. I got to oak grove and there was a line of cars at the parking lot entrance. After about 5 or 10 minutes, the line hadn't moved. Thats when I figured the lot was probably full and the person as the booth was just waiting for someone to leave the lot. I wasn't next in line so I left and drove into boston. And actually made out well with meters.
This was around 1PM. So how often is oak grove's lot full like this? I can't take the train if I can't park at the station. If it's like this a lot, it's really going to ruin my plans to start taking the train to all my Boston appointments.

What about parking at other Orange line stations? Or what about the CR?
Veristek

Postby e-m00 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

l008com wrote:Back to oak grove again. The other day I tried to hop on the orange line to get into the city. I got to oak grove and there was a line of cars at the parking lot entrance. After about 5 or 10 minutes, the line hadn't moved. Thats when I figured the lot was probably full and the person as the booth was just waiting for someone to leave the lot. I wasn't next in line so I left and drove into boston. And actually made out well with meters.

Wellington's lot is much larger than Oak Grove if I remember correctly. There is also a large garage at Wellington.
e-m00

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Yes, Wellington has a large lot on the East side and as mentioned the garage on the West Side. Unfortunately they took the tram out and you have to walk over the Wellington Shops as opposed to riding. :(
CSX Conductor

Postby dbperry » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 pm

OK, I win the prize for most expensive parking! It cost me $600 to park at the Route 128 station one weekend in March 2006......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2J-RYBagI

Dave
dbperry

Postby Veristek » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:31 am

dbperry wrote:OK, I win the prize for most expensive parking! It cost me $600 to park at the Route 128 station one weekend in March 2006......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO2J-RYBagI

Dave

I can't understand what's being said in the video since I'm deaf and no subtitles. Can you tell me the gist of what happened?
Veristek

Postby l008com » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:35 am

He pulled up to the fastlane at the garage. Gate didn't open so he took a ticket. Left later that day and paid cash. Drove back to garage a month later, entered fastlane. Left fastlane. Fastlane charged him for the whole month, as if his car had been parked in there the whole time. Remind me to never use my fastlane at a garage. Speaking of garage, they shoudl build one at oak grove :-) If I'm going to drive all the way to wellington, I'll just drive in to boston.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Stmtrolleyguy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 am

Warning to those going to Wellington - they're expanding the garage there, so ALL the spaces on the side of the garage they're expanding are closed off - a good 8 or 10 spaces PER FLOOR.

I had problems with Oak Grove being full, and the garage at Wellington wasn't full before I drove in, but it was after I parked :P
I'd swear I got the LAST space on the top floor of the garage.

It looks to me like Oak Grove could expand the small parking lot they have with the pay box (not the one with the attendant) by a good 10 spaces or more if they simply expanded the lot towards Boston, since there seems to be an empty parcle of land right there between the station and the auto bridge over the tracks.
Stmtrolleyguy

Re: Parking Questions

Postby jbvb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:58 pm

There are several parking decks in Malden within a block or two of the station; the flat lot by the station is almost always full, but the garages seem to charge $6 for "early bird".
jbvb

Postby dbperry » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:41 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:For those have not noticed, the MBTA now collects money 7 DAYS A WEEK/52 WEEKS A YEAR. HOLIDAYS AND WEEKENDS ARE NOT FREE ANYMORE.

As of this morning at the Framingham commuter rail station, parking in the lots that are on MBTA owned property (managed by Central Parking Systems) is still free on holidays and weekends. Must be a lot-by-lot change.
dbperry

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:45 pm

dbperry wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:For those have not noticed, the MBTA now collects money 7 DAYS A WEEK/52 WEEKS A YEAR. HOLIDAYS AND WEEKENDS ARE NOT FREE ANYMORE.

As of this morning at the Framingham commuter rail station, parking in the lots that are on MBTA owned property (managed by Central Parking Systems) is still free on holidays and weekends. Must be a lot-by-lot change.

same thing with Attleboro parking, it is still free on weekends and holidays. Just the few stations I saw showed the above message.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)