Derailment at Wollaston, 8/12

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Derailment at Wollaston, 8/12

Postby fm535 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:38 pm

01612 derailed southbound right out of Wollaston station at 4pm 8/12. From what the inspectors told me at Braintree as I waited to a northbound train, that there was heavy damage to the tracks, and there was the need for a lot of torches!
At the same time, Braintree police had something going on at the CR platform which further shut down Red Line operations, as they kept announcing that during 'police actions' no trains can open their doors, and that no train will move until they get clearance from the dispatcher after the 'police action' was thru.
I rode 01827 north past the derailment, and it felt like it needed some serious bearings or a brake repair. I thought we were going to derail with the grinding and pulling that poor car was going thru. When I got off at JFK, 2 hours later, it smelled like brake linings burning.
fm535

Postby octr202 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:45 pm

That explains the mess on the Red Line today. About 4:05 I entered Kendall, and there were announcements about "minor delays on the Braintree Line due to operational difficulties." I'll say. A 10 minute wait yielded a 4 car southbound Braintree train, and I heard some radio "spill-over" into the PA about police activity -- didn't realize they were different things.

Overall it was a bad day on the T this afternoon. It took me 55 minutes to get from Kendall to Brookline Village, with an almost 15 minute wait for a D train starting at 4:20 at Park St. I gotta give a lot of respect to the people that ride the Green Line every day -- its a battle!
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby lstrong » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:48 pm

I rode past Wollaston on the commuter rail from Middleboro. I was sitting on the wrong side of the train so I didn't see it myself, but I overheard someone say that they had dug up the tracks next to the platform. Some Old Colony commuter rail trains were delayed slightly because they were stopping all of the trains at JFK/UMass, Quincy Center, and Braintree. My train was right on time though.
lstrong

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:29 pm

[quote]It took me 55 minutes to get from Kendall to Brookline Village, with an almost 15 minute wait for a D train starting at 4:20 at Park St. I gotta give a lot of respect to the people that ride the Green Line every day -- its a battle![/quote]

From someone who rides the Green Line everyday and lives in the Mission Hill/Brookline Village area you should have just taken the E Line to Riverway a.k.a. South Huntington and walked. Lately the D seems to be unreliable.
MBTA1

Postby octr202 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:06 pm

From someone who rides the Green Line everyday and lives in the Mission Hill/Brookline Village area you should have just taken the E Line to Riverway a.k.a. South Huntington and walked. Lately the D seems to be unreliable.

After I got home I looked at the map and realized that. As I was waiting at Park St. I just thought that the E would be too slow down Huntingdon Ave. to make it worth it. I'll know better the next time I try to do that trip.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Well I avoided the entire episode since I DROVE INTO work today!!!

No headaches for me, thats for sure.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Braintree

Postby Paul Cutler III » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:56 am

Someone I know was on the Braintree CR train when the "police action" took place.

Seems that someone held up the MBTA booth attendant at Braintree and ran onto the commuter train. He then ran all the way through the cars and out the end, heading for the wye with 4 or 6 cops after him.

Apparently they were all having trouble running on the ballast, and the cops shot the guy on the run. I don't know the condition of the criminal, but there was an EMT crew on scene.

This is all second hand, so if the facts are different, don't come running to me... :wink:
Paul Cutler III

Postby fm535 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:28 am

The booth attendant was not in his hole because of the derailment. When I came thru, as it was all going down - with the derailment and all, the attendant was waving everyone in from the gate, standing there, laughing and chatting with riders as they approached telling them to expect a major delay with everything going on. Someone must have thought he was vunerable outside of the booth. I went up to the platform, they closed the doors behind me as I sat down, and I thought we were off, -instead we sat there locked down for approx 45 minutes, then they opened the doors for 5 minutes when the police finished their business, and then we took the long ride home from there.
fm535

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:40 am

[quote]After I got home I looked at the map and realized that. As I was waiting at Park St. I just thought that the E would be too slow down Huntingdon Ave. to make it worth it. I'll know better the next time I try to do that trip[/quote]

Yes definatly true during rush hour the E can slow down a little and its also slow if another train is infront of you. But still it usually runs well and is a fun ride with all the cars driving around you.
MBTA1

Postby fm535 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:50 am

I have a question to pose toward Rob or Carl since they live the Red Line! :-D Since the derailment, the Braintree section between the Neponsett River and Quincy Ctr has the trains crawling at less than 5 miles an hour, especially the south bound side. I have noticed that there are clamps and turnbuckles starting to be put in place along the tracks at Wollaston and North Quincy holding the tracks together, placed every few yards and ONLY where there are concrete/cement ties. Has there been inherent problems with these concrete ties in the past, because as you approach some of these stations, you see where massive piles laying along the ROW, where there has been replacement with wooden ties?

Any idea of how long it typically takes the T to rectify these problems, because my commute is soooo long now into Braintree with the choo-choo crawl? I have a sneaky suspicion, that it is going to be an extended period of time, and given comment about track condition report from the 90's on the T-8 thread, I think the T waits until disasster strikes before they tackle problems. What a beauracratic nightmare!

And in the same thought process about attitudes toward safety and maintenance... on my way home yesterday, 01723 was rolling along with its end door wide open, rolling back and forth, with the the lock apparently malfunctioning, and the crew really didnt care!
fm535

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:23 am

Any idea of how long it typically takes the T to rectify these problems, because my commute is soooo long now into Braintree with the choo-choo crawl? I have a sneaky suspicion, that it is going to be an extended period of time, and given comment about track condition report from the 90's on the T-8 thread, I think the T waits until disasster strikes before they tackle problems. What a beauracratic nightmare!

That's because of the track work you mentioned, and to hopefully fix the derailment site, so in the interim, you and me will be seeing a "10-code" from the Anderson Flyover till Downtown Quincy with a "25-code" for a few hundred yards between Wollaston and Quincy Centre.

And in the same thought process about attitudes toward safety and maintenance... on my way home yesterday, 01723 was rolling along with its end door wide open, rolling back and forth, with the the lock apparently malfunctioning, and the crew really didnt care!

Well, you're not the only one to see that happen. Yes, the crew is supposed to clear that car of passenger if the bulkhead door of the coach car doesn't secure. But I guess they wanted to just not bother with it. Also that would entice someone (even myself included) to pass between cars, just like I already do in the NYCT New York City Subways, which ALL end doors are unlocked except on the R44, R46, R68 and newer models. Only from R-1 to R-42, one can still pass between coaches.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:18 pm

To add to the door thing I got that yesterday on an 01800. The operator left the door to the cab wide open, he must of not closed it all the way when he got out. I wouldn't of been suprized of some nosey person went in and fooled around with the controls or something and then when the controls are out of wack and the train keeps going into emergency the opereator is going to be puzzled.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:08 pm

To add to the door thing I got that yesterday on an 01800. The operator left the door to the cab wide open, he must of not closed it all the way when he got out. I wouldn't of been suprized of some nosey person went in and fooled around with the controls or something and then when the controls are out of wack and the train keeps going into emergency the opereator is going to be puzzled.

Oh No...................ALL T Employees are supposed to double check the cab doors to be sure that they are secure. You're right, there could have been possible terrorist activity, or someone curious destroy the cab, or when the train would be sitting at a station, A passenger could have a pointer device or another makeshift key, all of a sudden startup the train, and program it to go the other direction, and "have a 'field day'".

T Crews should REALLY start to double check those doors, and If I see that a cab door is open, I would secure it also. I've seen on two occasions of cab access doors being unlocked and opened on some R68A NYCT Trainsets as I was riding in the last car, I checked to see if those cab doors were locked, but they weren't, I tried to even secure it myself, but it didn't work, those R68A car cab doors would stay open, so I kept a watchful eye on them so nobody else would try to "swipe" the train on us.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby fm535 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:37 pm

While waiting for a train at Braintree tonight (9-3), I spoke to an operator that was standing by for the next train as well. She told me that the slow-down on the tracks should change after testing for 4 to 6 weeks. She said the operators are all ready to climb out of the cars and walk along side of the trains, that it has become so frustratingly slow!!! She said there are so many ten codes all over the tracks, they are totally frustrated and hate it, and can't wait for the 'test period' to be over. She has been an operator for over two years and she says every time there are any track problems, they will blame it on the heat, or the wooden or cement ties, and test for 4 to 6 weeks, and then resume the speeds again. She was pretty candid with her comments, and said the derailment did heavy damage on both sides of the platform due to the thump the car gave the platform!
fm535

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:45 pm

Oh Boy then, hopefully after the 4-6 week tesing period, then normal speeds can resume once again. I can't wait.............
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)