New Work Train Caboose (MBTX 13743)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Work Train Caboose (MBTX 13743)

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Well the person who told me this is incharge of all the C/R work cars they have and is a foreman for the T not MBCR its his caboose so I believe him on what he says lol. Trust me I don't argue with him.

Yeh... it's a good idea to never argue with a guy that big, huh? lol! :P
jwhite07

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 pm

Agreed Jon :wink:
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm

GP40MC 1116 wrote:The MBTA Commuter Rail System has two Cabooses

MBTX 13743- Most recently owned by Perini Corp Bow,NH Ex Missouri Pacific
MBA "C-1"- North Side Caboose

For some reason which I can't explain, instead of MBTA or MBTX for the reporting marks for C-1, it is lettered as MBA C-1

Anyone know the reason why?

Probably because they couldn't decide on a reporting mark.

MBA was probably one that was considered along with XMBT (rumored to be inside the cabs of the locomotives) and then they settled on MBTX which is painted on the back of 1119, on the Short Bay Window caboose (ex-mopac), and on most if not all of the MOW cars in Commuter Rail work service.
diburning

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 pm

MBTX is on the 1119, 1116 simply because MBTX is the MBTA's reporting mark for interchange etc. C-1, if I recall correctly was worked on and painted I believe by the Plymouth and Lincoln Railroad up in Lincoln, NH. I do know for sure that the plows where done up in Lincoln as this picture shows:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20051 ... 932328.jpg

As for reporting marks, I know these:

XMBT MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSIT AUTHORITY
MBTA *MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSIT AUTHORITY
MBTX MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
GP40MC 1116

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:23 am

The XMBT acronym is found in all revenue CR Locomotives, they dont use MBTX, it's XMBT for example "XMBT 1074"
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Well I don't remember off hand. I found a website that listed this as a XMBT reporting mark

XMBT MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSIT AUTHORITY

This photo might further back up some stuff

http://sery2831.smugmug.com/gallery/472 ... 2726_qpaYa
GP40MC 1116

Postby GP40MC1118 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 pm

The official MBTA reporting mark is MBTX.

XMBT, as I understand it, was an improper reporting mark.
Ironically, the Boise Overhaul units still have the XMBT mark inside
the cab. Probably MPI saw them in there and kept them.

MBA was once an official reporting mark, but was not renewed.

D
GP40MC1118

Postby Stmtrolleyguy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 pm

This is from Wikipedia, and I'm trying to fact-check it further :

"Marks that end in X are assigned to rail car owners that are not common carrier railroads themselves (typically these are private car owners, leasing companies or railroad museums)."

Wikipedia defines a Common Carrier :

"A common carrier is a business that transports people, goods, or services and offers its services to the general public under license or authority provided by a regulatory body. A common carrier holds itself out to provide service to the general public without discrimination for the "public convenience and necessity". A common carrier must further demonstrate to the regulator that it is "fit, willing and able" to provide those services for which it is granted authority. Common carriers typically transport persons or goods according to defined and published routes, time schedules and rate tables upon the approval of regulators. Public airlines, railroads, bus lines, cruise ships, motor carriers (i.e., trucking companies) and other freight companies generally operate as common carriers."

So, if that's true, it looks like the MBTA would be a common carrier, and therefore shouldn't have reporting marks ending in X. . .
(Same reason CSXs reporting mark is csxT so that it doesn't end in "X")

Now, another interesting thing, is that MBTA cars probably aren't technically in interchange service - they stay within the confines of the MBTA operations, so it might be different when when a car gets sent out for repair in interchange. . .
Stmtrolleyguy

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 pm

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:This is from Wikipedia, and I'm trying to fact-check it further :

"Marks that end in X are assigned to rail car owners that are not common carrier railroads themselves (typically these are private car owners, leasing companies or railroad museums)."

Wikipedia defines a Common Carrier :

"A common carrier is a business that transports people, goods, or services and offers its services to the general public under license or authority provided by a regulatory body. A common carrier holds itself out to provide service to the general public without discrimination for the "public convenience and necessity". A common carrier must further demonstrate to the regulator that it is "fit, willing and able" to provide those services for which it is granted authority. Common carriers typically transport persons or goods according to defined and published routes, time schedules and rate tables upon the approval of regulators. Public airlines, railroads, bus lines, cruise ships, motor carriers (i.e., trucking companies) and other freight companies generally operate as common carriers."

So, if that's true, it looks like the MBTA would be a common carrier, and therefore shouldn't have reporting marks ending in X. . .
(Same reason CSXs reporting mark is csxT so that it doesn't end in "X")

Now, another interesting thing, is that MBTA cars probably aren't technically in interchange service - they stay within the confines of the MBTA operations, so it might be different when when a car gets sent out for repair in interchange. . .

which would explain why some BTCs have MBTX on their front
diburning

Postby GP40MC1118 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Some MBTX work equipment does go off-line. The orange MBTX gondolas
have gone off the property in the past. Also some of the sidedumps have
gone to Maine on Guilford (scrap ties for some energy plant)

D
GP40MC1118

Postby diburning » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought continuing on this thread would be more appropriate than starting a new one.

Why hasn't this caboose "entered service" yet? Why is it still at BET and not south as was originally intended?
diburning

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 am

Perhaps because there are no work trains on the South Side right now and there is more room for storing it at BET as opposed to Readville or in the Front Yard.
CSX Conductor

Postby sery2831 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Every now and then a team of guys go to work on the car. But it seems still quite uncompleted. Remember we got from a field with no running gear/trucks. This seems like a very low priority project.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 am

sery2831 wrote:Every now and then a team of guys go to work on the car. But it seems still quite uncompleted. Remember we got from a field with no running gear/trucks. This seems like a very low priority project.

Well, sorry to bring up an old thread with no answers and only more questions, but is this still the case? I imagine at this time the focus is on getting enough equipment in service, but if there's ever a slow down, do they still go to work on 13743?

Also, why is MBTA C-2 still on the Hobo railroad? It's been complete for maybe a year? Longer? Shouldn't it be returned to the MBTA by now?
BostonUrbEx

Postby daytripper1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:
Also, why is MBTA C-2 still on the Hobo railroad? It's been complete for maybe a year? Longer? Shouldn't it be returned to the MBTA by now?

It's not compltete, still. It's status hasn't changed. It needs a handful of parts still. There's been some internal political infighting over this, and for no good reason. The particulars cannot be discussed in an open forum, tho.
daytripper1

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)