New Work Train Caboose (MBTX 13743)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Work Train Caboose (MBTX 13743)

Postby l008com » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:20 am

That caboose would kick ass if they refurbished it. Did it up like a living room on the inside, with a small bathroom. And used those huge decks for lawn furniture and a grill. Have a little rolling BBQ party.

:-D
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:41 pm

l008com wrote:That caboose would kick ass if they refurbished it. Did it up like a living room on the inside, with a small bathroom. And used those huge decks for lawn furniture and a grill. Have a little rolling BBQ party.

:-D

Awesome! :-D :-D :-D
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby concordgirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Hahaha! Hey make sure it stops in Concord LOL Seriously the combo of bbq and trains is f-ing genius. Nicely done :-D Too bad the commuter rail doesn't roll by Blue Ribbon in Arlington ;-)

Would a caboose ever get painted in the MBTA colors? I know John said this one won't get painted. I'm asking if it's traditional for a caboose to be a diff color scheme from the rest of the fleet. Kinda like the work extras?
Rockport and Newburyport
nightmare b4 xmas inked on my arm
** Bring back 3247! **
concordgirl

Postby Guilford Guy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 pm

concordgirl wrote:Hahaha! Hey make sure it stops in Concord LOL Seriously the combo of bbq and trains is f-ing genius. Nicely done :-D Too bad the commuter rail doesn't roll by Blue Ribbon in Arlington ;-)

Would a caboose ever get painted in the MBTA colors? I know John said this one won't get painted. I'm asking if it's traditional for a caboose to be a diff color scheme from the rest of the fleet. Kinda like the work extras?

Duuuuude... Blue Ribbon smells sooo goood walking past it on the way home from school...
As for the caboose, it may or may not happen... 902 and 904 until last year, had their old SEMTA Colors. 3247 seems to be one of the first pieces of work equipment to get purplified. If that trend continues new equipment may also get purplified, but non-revenue equipment doesn't often get paint priority. It'd be nice to have some screamers have a new coat of purple before going and painting the entire work consist...
Guilford Guy

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 pm

The other caboose is painted in a MBTA work train scheme...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 pm

concordgirl wrote:Hahaha! Hey make sure it stops in Concord LOL Seriously the combo of bbq and trains is f-ing genius. Nicely done :-D Too bad the commuter rail doesn't roll by Blue Ribbon in Arlington ;-)

Traditionally, it was illegal to run a freight train without a caboose. The caboose was where the conductor looked out to make sure that none of the frieght cars had overheating axles. In this era, the cabooses were all red. When that law was no longer in effect with the advancement in technology, freight companies started painting their cabooses with their company colors.

When that happened, there is no standard to the paint scheme of cabooses.
diburning

Postby concordgirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks, everybody :-) I was really curious, it's cool how the work extras stand out bc they are a diff color but... I LOVE the 3247 and its paint job! It'd be strange to get a pic of the cabooses side by side seeing as how they will look so diff (orange vs purple).

(Hey Guilford Guy-- check out the brisket and pulled pork ;-) )
Rockport and Newburyport
nightmare b4 xmas inked on my arm
** Bring back 3247! **
concordgirl

Postby paulrail » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:18 pm

When the old New Haven RR was carrying freight in New England prior to it's demise in 1969, it ran cabooses in primarily five different paint schemes and colors. It included all black buggies and black with white body and cupola "ends" and a red-orange door and window frames.

Talk about poor visability!,....an all-black caboose. The other black cabooses were modified with the white and red-orange front and rear facing ends when the crews complained to their unions about the visability factor.

The sides of these black cabooses did have the white block herald "N" over the red-orange "H" also known as the McGinnis paint scheme. He was the President of the New Haven at that time.

Paul
paulrail

Postby NHN503 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:18 pm

FWIW I was told before we shipped this caboose to PAR, was that it was purchased because it could be used on lines with overhead wires with no worry about clearance.

Also, these are not transfer cabooses. Mopac built these cars between '77 and '83 based on an International Car Company design. They were actually used in road service and not "transfer" service. Rail Yard models also makes a pretty nice HO scale craftsman kit of em.
NHN503

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:02 pm

It will be used on the Southside as many folks have said. The Northside already has a work train caboose so their is no need for two cabooses to be on one side.
GP40MC 1116

Postby bmcdr » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:10 pm

I spoke with the man who was involved in the purchase of the caboose on Thursday, he said they will be painting it red and as it stands now, it will retain its Mopac number and it will be used on the Southside. As it is now, every time they run a ballast train, they have to use a locomotive on each end, a commodity we are in short supply of on MBCR.
David Hutchinson
bmcdr

Postby Veristek » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:26 am

bmcdr wrote:I spoke with the man who was involved in the purchase of the caboose on Thursday, he said they will be painting it red and as it stands now, it will retain its Mopac number and it will be used on the Southside. As it is now, every time they run a ballast train, they have to use a locomotive on each end, a commodity we are in short supply of on MBCR.

Why would they need two locomotives on both ends? Aren't the locomotives cramped for space?
Veristek

Postby Stmtrolleyguy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 am

I would think they need a locomotive on each end so that they have a way to run the train in both directions. Without a caboose, there's no way for a crew memeber to be on the head end of the train unless he/she is hanging onto the end of one of the cars in the work train - and uncomfortable and dangerous situation. With a caboose, I would think a crew member could radio back to the engineer the signals, switches, etc., so the train could be run with the caboose leading.
Stmtrolleyguy

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 am

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:I would think they need a locomotive on each end so that they have a way to run the train in both directions. Without a caboose, there's no way for a crew memeber to be on the head end of the train unless he/she is hanging onto the end of one of the cars in the work train - and uncomfortable and dangerous situation. With a caboose, I would think a crew member could radio back to the engineer the signals, switches, etc., so the train could be run with the caboose leading.

That is correct. MBCR will most likely outfit the new caboose with ditch lights and a horn (the northside caboose has these) so the train can run in reverse at up to 30MPH (according to NORAC rule 116. Somebody chime in if there's an MBCR bulletin that supercedes that).
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Veristek » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:I would think they need a locomotive on each end so that they have a way to run the train in both directions. Without a caboose, there's no way for a crew memeber to be on the head end of the train unless he/she is hanging onto the end of one of the cars in the work train - and uncomfortable and dangerous situation. With a caboose, I would think a crew member could radio back to the engineer the signals, switches, etc., so the train could be run with the caboose leading.

Hmm. The MBTA can manage with just one locomotive pushing / pulling consists, with the cab control cars and all. Just wondering why a work train doesn't work like that? Don't they have cab control cars on the work trains in lieu of a caboose?
Veristek

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)