Southwest Corridor, then and now.....

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Southwest Corridor, then and now.....

Postby jaymac » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm

...to continue with the off-topic, rubber-tired, and chain-drive remembrances, let's not forget Walter Snow Fighters, no small number of which carried MTA identification...
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm

back on track,Photos · Historic Jamaica Plain Trolley Photos ( And more @http://www.jphs.org/display/ShowPicture?moduleId=96230&galleryId=11889&pictureId=1922100
Attachments
1964 nhrr train passing along side forest hills station.jpg
1964 nhrr train passing along side forest hills station.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Teamdriver

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:24 pm

3rdrail wrote:There are still remnants around the Terrace St. area of some of the sidings off the Corridor. Look closely out an outbound Orange Line car's right side between Roxbury Crossing and Jackson Sq. Stations.

Um, the only thing visible from the right side of an outbound Orange Line train between Back Bay and Forest Hills is the concrete wall a foot away.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Leo Sullivan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 pm

You must be thinking of someplace else. There were never (since 1873 anyway)
any sidings between Roxbury Crossing and Jackson Sq. Sta. There are however several
sections of the old embankment wall that are visible from Terrace St.
LS
Leo Sullivan

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 pm

I remember picking up meat at an Armour place somewhere off Columbus ave, past Roxbury crossing heading in to town.Could that have had a siding at time? It was in a strange place, away from Newmarket, which had rail car service, and it was near the tracks,just cant recall what the setup was.It was actually called an abattoir, or slaughter house from the past.
Teamdriver

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:24 am

My Rail,

Do you remember behind Healey field, Florence st & near Blakemore st, right against the tracks there was a company that sold sheetrock or some other such thing , Whittemore Products comes into mind, and I think they got rail cars , 60's, 70's, ? It was a basic crude operation, heavy stuff. Think there is housing there now.
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 am

Just very vaguely. That area is where Mount Hope Station was along the Main Line. It had been a New Haven stop up until a fire erupted, Recently, during the construction of the condos there, I had occasion to speak with a guy connected with the construction. He told me that when they were digging, that they found massive cement foundations for each station (they were kitty-cornered and not opposite, one brick, one wood). For many years there, you could see the staircase leading down to the outbound station platform from Florence to the station, as well as a stairway leading down from the Blakemore Bridge to the inbound station platform.

Great shot of the "Budd-liner" from the Tollgate Bridge. Thanks for that. I really enjoyed it and have saved it on my computer. That was a great place to watch everything go underneath you at 80 MPH - Budds, Alcos, Turbo-trains, FL-9's and a variety of steam before my generation. The wooden bridge would shake, you'd be enveloped in diesel smoke, you'd feel the wind blow you back, and hear the doppler effect as the train roared beneath. My cousin and myself were the "Kings of the Tollgate". It was out lair.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Charliemta wrote:It was a major mistake to relocate the Orange Line away from Washington Street. Moving it to the railroad corridor moved it away from an established high density spine over to a hard to access low denity area. Also, it moved it close to an existing transit facility, the Green E Line on Huntington Ave., resulting in duplicated service along part of the route.

It would have been better to refurbish the elevated line, make it a bit more modern and keep it where it was, at least the portion from Dudley Square to downtown. A rebuilt elevated line would have served Roxbury much better than the current SW corridor location, and would have retained a transit-oreinted urban vitality along Washington Street.

South of Dudley Square the line could have been relocated over to the SW corridor, as it is not far from Washington Street there.

One thing about the Sw Corridor is that it doesn't really serve the Roxbury neighborhood very well. The SW Corridor more or less just skims through Roxbury.
rhodiecub2

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:55 pm

rhodiecub2 wrote:One thing about the Sw Corridor is that it doesn't really serve the Roxbury neighborhood very well. The SW Corridor more or less just skims through Roxbury.

Doesn't serve Roxbury ? It's provided commuter rail and rapid transit to Roxbury under Boston & Providence, New Haven, and MBTA for many years. Where do you think Jackson Square, Roxbury Crossing, Ruggles, and Mass Ave Stations are ?
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:44 pm

I didn't say that it "doesn't" serve Roxbury. What I meant to say was that the SW OL doesn't serve the Roxbury area as well as the elevated OL line did.
rhodiecub2

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm

OK, if you insist on playing semantics, "it doesn't serve Roxbury well" ? What community is better served than Roxbury ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm

I think it serves as the present day border between JP and Roxbury, but I'm not familiar with the area.
BostonUrbEx

Postby jaymac » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 pm

The folks living in the areas immediate to Egleston, Dudley, and Northampton had quicker transit to downtown during the days of the El. That convenience helped further concentrate population in that area, as well. The structure did have to go, and tunneling costs would have been prohibitive, so the NEC alignment made economic sense, but also helped foster a sense of isolation among people living near the old stations by increasing transit times to downtown.
jaymac

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:05 pm

I agree if you are just using the old El as an example. However, I can't think of a more well served community as a whole with four rapid transit stations, plus numerous bus lines which connect practically every block of Roxbury. I've often made the suggestion that the Corridor Orange Line was to keep the community groups at bay while the Arborway Streetcar was vaporized. Roxbury was not as vocal at the time as was JP and the South End was just coming back. I don't think that that plan would have worked now. The South End is the neighborhood that got the shaft. Comparing the South End to Roxbury regarding service is like comparing the Toonerville Trolley to the Disney Monorail.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby jaymac » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Paul-
You're right: Roxbury does have heavy OL service, but not particularly attractive or convenient service for bus-connection-dependent riders. The South End has continued to be short-served by the T all the way back to the closure of the Tremont Street Incline. On the same subject and incline, Southie should be added to the neighborhoods that have suffered from loss of convenient feeder service, and mega-ditto for the other side of the Charles. Charlestown, in decades past, had been fairly well integrated with the rest of the city. The rapid transit service remains good, but getting to and from that service isn't always equally good.
jaymac

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)