Southwest Corridor, then and now.....

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Southwest Corridor, then and now.....

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 pm

MarkB wrote:@ 3rdrail - at one time, the Boston-Providence rail line had commuter service with stops in Roslindale and Hyde Park, and the West Roxbury line had/has a stop right at Rosi square and also had the Bellevue stop at the edge of West Roxbury.

Hi Mark !
Yes it did, and it continued on into the New Haven era as well. Just a couple of minor adjustments; The Dedham Branch continued on through West Roxbury and Spring Street Station into Dedham Square and where you see that municipal parking lot is where the large Dedham Center Railroad Station sat. Rozzie has had actually a total of three stations covering the area. The Roslindale Square Station that is currently serving the Needham Branch, Bellevue Station, which is officially indicated as in West Roxbury but is actually in Roslindale, and Mount Hope Station, which is the only one off the Boston-Providence Main Line. Urban Edge condos reside at this location now. In West Roxbury, currently on the Needham Branch, we have Highland Station and West Roxbury Station.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 am

Hey Rail, This is now, (Is M cClays still there ? )
This is Tollgate Way: ( From The phantom Tollgate By adamg http://www.universalhub.com/roslindale )
Attachments
tollgate-sign 2.jpg
tollgate-sign 2.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
tollgate-today 1.jpg
tollgate-today 1.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 am

There's the Tollgate Way, TD, I grew up next to this location. From the Tollgate Way, you could see all that New Haven offered at speed running through the Boston - Providence Main Line. It was the only connection for pedestrians between Washington St. and Hyde Park Avenue, between Forest Hills and the Blakemore Bridge.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

3rdrail wrote:There's the Tollgate Way, TD, I grew up next to this location. From the Tollgate Way, you could see all that New Haven offered at speed running through the Boston - Providence Main Line. It was the only connection for pedestrians between Washington St. and Hyde Park Avenue, between Forest Hills and the Blakemore Bridge.

Hey my Rail,
Crumbling Forest Hills bridge torn down overnight
http://www.universalhub.com/2012/crumbl ... -overnight
Attachments
bridge-be-gone_0.jpg
bridge-be-gone_0.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Sorry to see it go. Lot of memories on that old girl. As you can see, it was a bridge with succesive levels over the New Haven tracks which the kiddos would use on our way to the Francis Parkman School (or a rail buff that I know well to watch both New Haven and Metropolitan Transit Authority operations). I recall vividly a New Haven public safety crew coming into the school one day with a guest lecture and movie about the perils of being near railroads. The film that followed began with the usual grade school smirks and remarks and ended with pale, silent kids who wanted to run home to the safety of mom's apron. It was intended to scare the living hell out of us and did it's job well. Not only did we not want to be near a railroad car after that, but there were kids who wouldn't even cross the Tollgate Bridge for quite a while, believing that they could be caught in some kind of a vortex or something, being drawn down into a version of the grissly victims seen in the movie ! I know of a few that chose to walk the extra half mile or so around Forest Hills to get from HPA to Washington Street ! I'll toast the bridge this evening.

(By the way...thanks for your confidence in me regarding my knowledge of the area HenryAlan in one of the "comments" below the link. I really do appreciate it. My last name is Joyce however, not Sullivan. (same country, different county) :-))
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Aerial of bridge.

It is apparent the bridge was once part of a pathway through the park.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 am

No, no park. What you're seeing in that view is the way that the upper level of the bridge sat for many of it's later years when the bridge was taken out of service and all the other levels had been removed. From right to left, what you are seeing is Hyde Park Ave., the BERy Forest Hills Yard (n)(moved to the other side of the Orange Line), the Tollgate Cemetery (s), the original Boston and Providence later New Haven four-tracked Main Line, what was a Boston public school on the site of what later became the Doherty, then the DB&S Lumber Yard (n), 3884, 3882, 3880 Washington St., and Washington Street. The bridge was originally constructed primarily to cut the walking distance between Hyde Park Ave. and Washington St., @ 500 feet by bridge, 1/2 mile by walking around to Forest Hills, especially to keep the wee kiddos off the railroad tracks where the trains got up to 80 MPH +. Originally, the bridge was all wood, a later incarnation saw steel supports over wooden a support system.

True story regarding a tidbit from the bridge's history:
In the early 1900's, my grandfather used to go up to the top of the bridge with a friend with their telescope as they were both astronomers, particularly when there was a noteworthy astronomical event occuring. One night, as the two stood spellbound watching the heavens, an old busy body called the cops reporting that two men were trying to "spy on her with a telescope" on top of the bridge. The call had a policeman come in from the Washington Street side as well as the Hyde Park Ave. side to prevent "escape". My grandfather was literally "collared" and all their indignant protestations did little to convince the officers that they were engaged in a scholarly activity. When my grandfather reported that he lived in the house next to the bridge at 3882 Washington St., the policemen dragged him down there where a knock on the door brought out my grandmother. The policeman asked her, "Ma'm...Have you ever seen this man before ?" My grandmother calmly answered, "Officer, I've never seen this man in my life". Just as he was about to go head first into the police wagon, she admitted who he was. hahaha!!!
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 am

3rdrail wrote:When my grandfather reported that he lived in the house next to the bridge at 3882 Washington St., the policemen dragged him down there where a knock on the door brought out my grandmother. The policeman asked her, "Ma'm...Have you ever seen this man before ?" My grandmother calmly answered, "Officer, I've never seen this man in my life". Just as he was about to go head first into the police wagon, she admitted who he was. hahaha!!!

Ahahaha! That's great. Got me laughing good! :-D
BostonUrbEx

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:43 am

No bids on T parcel, deadline shifts : http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2012/03/ ... ne-shifts/
My Rail, what is going on here? it is the perfect spot for Railside, transportation museum, haircut hangout ,and speakeasy. Maybe the people at the Greenway conservancy can lay the ground work for you. I have an old Krueger Ale lighted clock I can give to the cause. 3rdrail's Railside , has a nice clang to it !
Attachments
Parcel U.gif
Parcel U.gif (389.68 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Kruegar Ale.jpg
Kruegar Ale.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

Lot of neat collectibles buried in the ground there from the Forest Hills Shop/Yard days as it mostly never had a secondary use. Great place for a metal detector. Brass air guage from an 0200 ? Small Tomlinson ? Reverser bars ? Third Rail Collector bar ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Fri May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Maybe Ribs on Wheels will make a comeback........

There’s plenty of action in Jackson Square.

A major redevelopment of the Jamaica Plain area where Columbus Avenue crosses Centre Street has kicked into gear, aimed at finally healing the old wounds of an ill-fated highway project.
$52M project will kick off work on ‘scar’ left by failed highway
http://bostonherald.com/business/real_e ... ition=also
Attachments
JacksonSq.pdf
(877.75 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Teamdriver

Postby wicked » Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 am

Why wasn't this thought of 25 years ago when they were building the transit line through there? Or even 15 years ago, when they were busy building a Stop & Shop up the street? Just seems like a major oversight, with that land sitting there for a very long time.
wicked

Postby wicked » Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 am

And I just realized ... the new line opened 25 years ago last Friday. Did the T make note of it?
wicked

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 pm

wicked wrote:And I just realized ... the new line opened 25 years ago last Friday. Did the T make note of it?

As I recall, some NU or MIT student or something was throwing some 'party' in its honor. I say 'party' because I don't know what became of that plan.
BostonUrbEx

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)