Weston Station?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Weston Station?

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:02 pm

According to google maps....

There is a station under construction between Auburndale and Wellesley farms on the Worcester line.

Why?

Was this ever planned?
jamesinclair

Re: Weston Station?

Postby diburning » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Not that I know of... It would seem to be a bad idea since the Worcester line is suffering problems due to the length of the line and the number of stops. Adding a station won't improve the already not-so-good on time service rate.
diburning

Postby johnpbarlow » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:44 am

If another station was to be added to the Framingham line in that locale, I would vote for a station at the former Riverside station site along with construction of convenient connection to Green Line trains. The T could wire up the current siding and build 1-2 more holding tracks to permit commuters to make an across the platform connection during the morning & evening rush. This would enable commuting from MetroWest into the Brookline area perhaps decongesting rte 9 a bit.
johnpbarlow

Postby trainhq » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am

No, I think this is the right place to put a station. A decent 128 MetroWest commuter rail station is long overdue. Granted, Riverside would give MetroWest access to Brookline, but how many people actually commute there vs. downtown? Also, there's the parking issue; Riverside is already pretty crowded; adding CR trains would make it impossible to find a parking space. This location is readily accessible from both 90 and 95,as well as the local area, and will make CR to downtown much more easily used by Metro West users wanting to avoid downtown traffic. I will be glad to use it the next time I go to a Red Sox game.
trainhq

Postby Yellowspoon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:38 am

The alleged station (according to Google maps) is at Liberty Mutual _OR_ off Recreation Road. Recreation Road only has access to I-95 northbound (on/off). It has no access from the turnpike from the west (unless they allow a U-turn after paying the toll). If they put a station there, is it for Liberty Mutual or are they going to build a parking lot by taking some land from the Leo Martin golf course? This is a puzzler....
Yellowspoon

Postby tober » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 am

This seems improbable to me. Although it seems like a potential park-and-ride, taking land from the golf course for a parking lot strikes me as politically entirely untenable... and the prospect of an "employees only" or "employees mostly" station for the industrial park also doesn't sound like something that would fly, but perhaps it's a little more likely. I can only think of one similar existing situation - the River Works stop on the Rockport/Newburyport line - however that station has historical precedent and the GE Industrial Complex is rather isolated. Finally, this proposed/supposed station is really too close to Auburndale - and yet I can't imagine that it would be replacing it.
tober

Postby ThinkNarrow » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm

There is also a possibility, indeed remote, that Weston Station is a map maker's creation intended to detect copyright violators. It is not unheard of for a map company to create a phony location and then take legal action against anyone who shows that location on their maps, as it is plain evidence that they copied the first company's maps.
ThinkNarrow

Postby Veristek » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 pm

ThinkNarrow wrote:There is also a possibility, indeed remote, that Weston Station is a map maker's creation intended to detect copyright violators. It is not unheard of for a map company to create a phony location and then take legal action against anyone who shows that location on their maps, as it is plain evidence that they copied the first company's maps.

The topic starter said that the map is from Google. I'm sure Google maps are for free use on the internet, not a pay-to-view map like the map books (Rand McNally comes to mind) you find in the bookstore or gas stations. Has Google actually did this copyright lawsuit stuff before?
Veristek

Postby obienick » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:50 am

Yellowspoon wrote:The alleged station (according to Google maps) is at Liberty Mutual _OR_ off Recreation Road. Recreation Road only has access to I-95 northbound (on/off). It has no access from the turnpike from the west (unless they allow a U-turn after paying the toll). If they put a station there, is it for Liberty Mutual or are they going to build a parking lot by taking some land from the Leo Martin golf course? This is a puzzler....

If you go westward on Recreation Rd. and take a right turn onto Park Rd., you can get to I-90 eastbound. You can continue around the block by taking a right onto South Ave. to get to Rte 128 southbound.

If I am not mistaken there is an empty lot there (?) across Recreation Rd. from the golf course/ski area.
obienick

Postby ags » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 pm

That Weston station marker has been on Google maps for several years, since they starting mapping railroad networks. Since that time, there has been no mention of a new station creation in any of the MBTA capital planning reports, so it is probably a mistake or a mapmaker's wishful thinking.
ags

Weston Commuter Rail Station?

Postby B&Mguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:15 pm

I was looking at Google maps today for a train watching location on the Worcester Line, and just west of 128/95, there was a label on the map saying that Weston Station is under construction. Is this actually under construction, or just an error? I haven't heard anything about any new stations on the Worcester Line, and was wondering if anyone has any info on this.
B&Mguy

Postby davidp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Not a likely spot for a station as the track is elevated on an embankment squeezed between Recreation Road to the south and Liberty Mutual's parking lot to the north. I agree with the suggestion that if a station were to be built in the area, the site of the old NYC Riverside station with a connection to the Green Line makes more sense from a transit connectivity standpoint. This would establish a reasonable transit route between Metro-West and Newton, Brookline and the Longwood Medical area for instance.

Dave
Dave
davidp

Postby harry2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 am

the weston station you may be referring to may be an old train station.just north of the center of the town of weston on church street there is an old abandoned train station which is located on a old abandned train bed.its located just south of the presant kendall green stop.i found this location on some road maps.
harry2

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm

harry2 wrote:the weston station you may be referring to may be an old train station.just north of the center of the town of weston on church street there is an old abandoned train station which is located on a old abandned train bed.its located just south of the presant kendall green stop.i found this location on some road maps.

Central Mass line. An idyllic little well-preserved B&M station. Google Street View in Weston seems to be busted today, because if you go to the Church St. bridge over the Central Mass (where the power transmission lines run) you'll see the still intact and wide-open stairs from the bridge down to the platform with linked pictures of the station building. Pretty easy walking distance from Post Road and Weston center vs. Kendal Green out in the middle of nowhere.

Phantom "Weston (Under Construction)" station on the Worcester line was finally scrubbed in Google's last software upgrade, but it persisted in error on the map for a few years.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby FP10 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:45 am

Semi-related, at least in google earth (not sure about maps) they show the purple line of the commuter rail running all the way down through taunton to somerset. I have a feeling someone at google is overly optimistic about the mbtas expansion.
"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)