Blue Line to Lynn A step closer to Reality

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Blue Line to Lynn A step closer to Reality

Postby jack615 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:36 pm

Blue Line extension to Lynn awaits governor's approval
By Thor Jourgensen
Friday, August 6, 2004

LYNN -- More than $260 million in state money to bring rapid transit service to Lynn and jump start development on the Lynnway is awaiting Gov. Mitt Romney's approval.

Romney has until Tuesday to approve the money or veto spending it. The veto would stand unless two-thirds of the Legislature's members vote to override it.

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/ ... cleid=6828

Jack
jack615

Any update

Postby marlowe » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:42 am

Since it's now Wednesday, any word if this passed or not?
marlowe

Postby MBTA1 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:46 am

If Lynn is passed, do you think a Salem extension would be in the works?
MBTA1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:13 pm

It's in the T's long-term plans.

Then again, so is converting the Silver Line to light rail, so who knows about how realistic it is to expect that.

But they seem to genuinely care about fixing up the blue line lately, so I'd say there's a strong chance of the blue line going to Salem someday.
trigonalmayhem

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:22 pm

The feelings in Salem are mixed so it will probably be a long time before it gets up there, if at all.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby BC Eagle » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:50 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:It's in the T's long-term plans.

Then again, so is converting the Silver Line to light rail, so who knows about how realistic it is to expect that.

But they seem to genuinely care about fixing up the blue line lately, so I'd say there's a strong chance of the blue line going to Salem someday.

When did the T ever say that converting the Silver Line to light rail was a long-term plan? With the way they have been trumpeting "Bus Rapid Transit" I find it doubtful they would ever make such an assertion.
BC Eagle

Postby Charliemta » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:08 am

The MBTa isn't committed to it, but the City of Boston's Transportation Plan is, which was discussed recently e;sewhere on this forum.

I'm sure the MBTA intends to never convert either of the two Silver Line segments to light rail.
Charliemta

Postby Railsfuture1 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 am

Although I'm sure the denizens of Salem [u]might[/u] benefit from the Blue Line going that far up, I think that doing that would be a drain on very limited public transit funds and reduce the efficiency of the Subway in Boston. A cheaper alternative would be to expand commuter rail service to Salem. To be fair, while a Lynn extension may be called for, beyond that, the fabled Blue Line extension to Charles/MGH is much more needed. It could go even further (maybe). Then there are extensions of the Green Line, general maintainence, AFC, etc that could be done. A lot of work is necessary that will benefit a larger segment of the population. In addition, sending up expanded service into an area that doesn't absolutely need it will only become ammuninition for Anti-Transit, pro-highway people.
Railsfuture1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:09 am

BC Eagle wrote:When did the T ever say that converting the Silver Line to light rail was a long-term plan? With the way they have been trumpeting "Bus Rapid Transit" I find it doubtful they would ever make such an assertion.

http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/pmt/pmt.htm

It's in there somewhere. They have a lot of different plans, but I think the Silver Line to light rail one wasn't one of the favourably rated ones.

It was, however, at least mentioned.
trigonalmayhem

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:11 pm

Well said, Railsfuture1.
vanshnookenraggen

etc

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:58 pm

It seems to me that if the State of Massachusetts is so flush with transit
funds, an extension of the Middleboro Line to Hyannis ought to be of the
first order.
A way needs to be found to add a second track at least between Boston
and Braintree. It would probably be much cheaper to go to Fall River/
New Bedford this way too with some more track capacity.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:04 pm

I know, Mr. Weaver, I'm in the same page with you. There ought to be direct rail service from BOS all the way down to Hyannis just like the good ol' days.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Cotuit » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:18 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:There ought to be direct rail service from BOS all the way down to Hyannis just like the good ol' days.

Bourne Selectmen this week backed a proposal to pressure the state to at least think about rail service to at least Buzzards Bay.

Cape Cod Times
Cotuit

Romney did pass the bond bill including funds for BL to Lynn

Postby jack615 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:01 pm

Romney spares funding for Blue Line extension to Lynn
By David Liscio
Thursday, August 12, 2004

LYNN -- Gov. Mitt Romney Tuesday signed the transportation bond bill but vetoed several sections, saying he is committed to spending less than half of the money authorized and that the bill has serious flaws.

The money allocated for the Blue Line extension from Revere to Lynn and funds to bury power lines crisscrossing a key waterfront development site on Lynn Harbor were spared.

Now all we have to work on now is the federal funds!

Jack

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/ ... cleid=6828
jack615

Postby Xplorer2000 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 pm

trigonalmayhem wrote:
BC Eagle wrote:When did the T ever say that converting the Silver Line to light rail was a long-term plan? With the way they have been trumpeting "Bus Rapid Transit" I find it doubtful they would ever make such an assertion.

http://www.ctps.org/bostonmpo/pmt/pmt.htm

It's in there somewhere. They have a lot of different plans, but I think the Silver Line to light rail one wasn't one of the favourably rated ones.

It was, however, at least mentioned.

I have a print out of that somewhere, too. It was with a whole plethora of projects, like the Green Line to Medford, Blue Line to Charles/MGH,Urban Ring ( which now looks to be headed for the Ts next BRT waste of money...) ,etc...
I'm sort of torn.... Of course, I want transit improvements, but I don't nessescarily see extending the most crowded, limited capacity line there is on the T (even T management came out and admitted this prior to the DNC) to Lynn, possibly at the expense of the commuter rail. There have been too many instances where shortsighted management took away from the Commuter Rail way back when, and now that they need the capacity, there isn't any because the built a transit line on the ROW trying to get what would traditionally Commuter Rail level service at supposedly cheaper prices, just like they're trying to masquerade a tarted up bus as a Transit line in the Silver Lie. They really need to consider using the original Narrow Gauge ROW, most of which is still usable, from Wonderland , most of the way to Lynn Central Square. Thats just my POV.... no rants, just common sense.( to me any ways)
Xplorer2000

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)