MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby type 7 3704 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Why not run hybrid locomotives like diburning said? Most South Side routes pass through the NEC for at least a part of the trip, so run trains under electric when under NEC wires and when they leave the NEC, just switch to diesel.
type 7 3704

Postby maxman927 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:13 pm

also, should they buy 'lectrics they could electrify the downeaster line and amtrak could save fuel money by using AEM-7s.
maxman927

Postby mxdata » Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 pm

The most likely candidate is a locomotive that meets the specific requirements of the RFP.

MX
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"
mxdata

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:20 am

type 7 3704 wrote:Why not run hybrid locomotives like diburning said? Most South Side routes pass through the NEC for at least a part of the trip, so run trains under electric when under NEC wires and when they leave the NEC, just switch to diesel.

That still is a waste Old colony lines don't run very far under the catenary and even going towards Needham and Franklin they would only use the lines for a couple of miles.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am

maxman927 wrote:also, should they buy 'lectrics they could electrify the downeaster line and amtrak could save fuel money by using AEM-7s.

Ok you guys are beating a dead horse now with the electrics. Can you please tell us where the money is going to come from to electrify the downeaster line or where does amtrak have extra electric locomotives to add to another line?? All this electric talk is just a buffs dream for now, this is reality and its not just lets string up catenary go buy electric locomotives and run them! Like Sery said

"So lets move off this subject and get back on topic. The has put out it's RFP, we have an idea what we are getting. Lets stick to what we know the T is looking to purchase."
AEM7AC920

Postby Veristek » Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Rising gas prices may force electrification of Old Colony, Greenbush, Franklin, etc. lines. Gas is hitting $4 per gallon here and it's not even June. I shudder to think what gas prices will be this next winter and next summer (2009). $6 per gallon perhaps?

Right now oil is about $130 per barrel, whereas a couple months ago it was just below $100. That's like a 30% increase in total prices in just 2 - 3 months. Scary, huh?

I heard on the news that gas is actually $10 a gallon already in England. No wonder England has a far better public transportation system than in the USA.
Veristek

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Veristek wrote:I heard on the news that gas is actually $10 a gallon already in England. No wonder England has a far better public transportation system than in the USA.

This is OT, but England (and most of Europe, as I understand it) has enormous taxes on gasoline. That's why 1) the price is so high over there, and 2) how they're able to pay for all that public transportation.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Veristek wrote:Rising gas prices may force electrification of Old Colony, Greenbush, Franklin, etc. lines. Gas is hitting $4 per gallon here and it's not even June. I shudder to think what gas prices will be this next winter and next summer (2009). $6 per gallon perhaps?

Right now oil is about $130 per barrel, whereas a couple months ago it was just below $100. That's like a 30% increase in total prices in just 2 - 3 months. Scary, huh?

I heard on the news that gas is actually $10 a gallon already in England. No wonder England has a far better public transportation system than in the USA.

Hmm I think we would see either a fare raise or cut in service before any of that happens but were wandering more and more off topic now.
AEM7AC920

Postby Veristek » Thu May 29, 2008 8:20 pm

If they cut service, it would create more problems. If service is cut amid rising gas / oil costs, people who depend on these trains may not be able to get to their jobs, creating additional economic strain. I think fare raising is more likely though.

Back on topic, I remember the T bought a couple hybrid locos last year I think. They should buy more of these hybrid locos, kinda like how the Toyota Prius hybrid car was a big step forward in miles per gallon when it came out a few years ago. Maybe if the T buys more hybrid locos, we won't really need to electrify tracks. Then again, if oil hits $300, $500, or $1000 per barrel, electrification will probably become th only viable option to continue CR and likely freight rail operation.

Sorry to drift off topic but I thought it merited some discussion, especially with the soaring gas costs the past couple months and all.
Veristek

Postby diburning » Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Veristek wrote:If they cut service, it would create more problems. If service is cut amid rising gas / oil costs, people who depend on these trains may not be able to get to their jobs, creating additional economic strain. I think fare raising is more likely though.

Back on topic, I remember the T bought a couple hybrid locos last year I think. They should buy more of these hybrid locos, kinda like how the Toyota Prius hybrid car was a big step forward in miles per gallon when it came out a few years ago. Maybe if the T buys more hybrid locos, we won't really need to electrify tracks. Then again, if oil hits $300, $500, or $1000 per barrel, electrification will probably become th only viable option to continue CR and likely freight rail operation.

Sorry to drift off topic but I thought it merited some discussion, especially with the soaring gas costs the past couple months and all.

The hybrid locos are Genset switcher units. They will not be used for revenue service. They were ordered to supplement the MBTA's 2 existing switchers 3247 and 904
diburning

Postby mbta1051dan » Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 pm

diburning wrote:
Veristek wrote:If they cut service, it would create more problems. If service is cut amid rising gas / oil costs, people who depend on these trains may not be able to get to their jobs, creating additional economic strain. I think fare raising is more likely though.

The hybrid locos are Genset switcher units. They will not be used for revenue service. They were ordered to supplement the MBTA's 2 existing switchers 3247 and 904

Speaking of the genset switchers i saw a pic of them on nerail will they ever be repainted into MBTA colors?

-D
MBTA 1051
mbta1051dan

Postby mxdata » Fri May 30, 2008 6:10 am

I am still trying to figure out how and when commercial electric power became a free and plentiful commodity. A typical electric locomotive consumes around 3.5 million watts at full load, and the MBTA service area is often power short and also has areas with distribution problems. Next time I talk with a friend at another agency I will ask if he knows how the total cost per mile of running their electrics compares with their diesels.

But it is irrelevant anyway, what gets purchased will have to comply with the RFP.

MX
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"
mxdata

Postby Veristek » Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 am

mxdata wrote:I am still trying to figure out how and when commercial electric power became a free and plentiful commodity. A typical electric locomotive consumes around 3.5 million watts at full load, and the MBTA service area is often power short and also has areas with distribution problems. Next time I talk with a friend at another agency I will ask if he knows how the total cost per mile of running their electrics compares with their diesels.

But it is irrelevant anyway, what gets purchased will have to comply with the RFP.

MX

As far as I know, the US has enough coal to last for the next 400 years at current consumption levels. Not sure about uranium, but I think the US has enough uranium to power nuclear power for like 50 - 100 more years at least.

By then, we'll have fusion power and / or other electrical production, so we'll never run out of electricity. The main concern is that we *will* run out of oil at some point in this century, leaving all gas / oil / natural gas powered cars, locomotives, planes, etc. out of luck. Thus, oil powered transportation will inevitably become unusuable.

But then again, the MBTA lacks any foresight.
Veristek

Postby paulrail » Sat May 31, 2008 12:45 am

That's B S,.... the MBTA is constantly looking to the future;.....look at the list of their capital projects for the next 5, 10, and 20 years. It's easy to criticize the T but there are hundreds of cities who would give anything to have as comprehensive transit system that the MBTA runs.

No foresight huh? :( ... Why do you suppose the T has analyzed it's specific needs for a new "custom" locomotive and put out a specific RFP for companies to see if they can furnish the demands of what the T wants and needs in a commuter passenger locomotive ?

Give me a break;........it's so easy to sit behind a computer and critisize an overall, great transit system with sweeping generalaities, broadbrushing the whole system as "not looking to the future." Grrr......

Yes, I realize the T is not "perfect' as everyone would like to have it be.

Paul
paulrail

Postby diburning » Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 am

mbta1051dan wrote:
diburning wrote:

Speaking of the genset switchers i saw a pic of them on nerail will they ever be repainted into MBTA colors?

-D

The first genset switcher on the property was a loaner to test out how well it worked. MBTA has givien it back already. It was pretty good so the MBTA ordered 2 of them. They're not donw yet. I suppose that they will be painted when they arrive. But I don't know if htye paint them in MBTA colors (904 is an example)
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)