MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby concordgirl » Sat May 24, 2008 9:00 am

mbta1051dan wrote:[

Hey! He probably worked really hard on it! Anyway, I have seen lots of experimental paint schemes, wonder if anyone will actually make one in the current rebuild lightning scheme!

-Dan

I know! I meant if we actually got those locos ;-) To me they look like a big rectangle that nobody bothered to design. You know-- "State of Kansas Jell-o mold!" :P
Rockport and Newburyport
nightmare b4 xmas inked on my arm
** Bring back 3247! **
concordgirl

Postby mbta1051dan » Sat May 24, 2008 1:37 pm

concordgirl wrote:
mbta1051dan wrote:[

Hey! He probably worked really hard on it! Anyway, I have seen lots of experimental paint schemes, wonder if anyone will actually make one in the current rebuild lightning scheme!

-Dan

I know! I meant if we actually got those locos ;-) To me they look like a big rectangle that nobody bothered to design. You know-- "State of Kansas Jell-o mold!" :P

How can it be a rectangle if it has an aerodynamic cab? lol

-Dan
MBTA 1051
mbta1051dan

Postby concordgirl » Sat May 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Yeah alright :) Just that everything but the cab looks boring imho. I realize we can't keep using the same old locos forever tho lol
Rockport and Newburyport
nightmare b4 xmas inked on my arm
** Bring back 3247! **
concordgirl

Postby maxman927 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:58 pm

i think they should wait and buy some 'lectrics to get ready for the N-S link.
maxman927

Postby realtype » Sat May 24, 2008 8:37 pm

maxman927 wrote:i think they should wait and buy some 'lectrics to get ready for the N-S link.

Why doesn't the MBTA already have electric locos?

Every other commuter railroad in the Northeast, save SLE, owns some sort of electric equipment. The MBTA already operates passenger equipment and consists similar to NJ Transit and MARC, but those railroads are able to fly trains along the NEC @ 100mph and 125mph repsectively when using electric power?

Maybe the MBTA should purchase some ALP-46 or HHP-8 locomotives instead of the MP36 locos.
realtype

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:32 pm

realtype wrote:
maxman927 wrote:i think they should wait and buy some 'lectrics to get ready for the N-S link.

Every other commuter railroad in the Northeast, save SLE, owns some sort of electric equipment.

Every other commuter railroad inherited substantial amounts of electrified trackage from Conrail and its predecessors. The T only has one route that's electrified, and it's simply not cost effective to have dedicated equipment for just one line. Even to operate electrics on that route would require expensive electrification projects at Southampton Street and Readville, and perhaps even the entire Fairmount Line for access to the latter. There's no money available for even that minimal electrification, never mind electrifying the rest of the southside.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby mxdata » Sun May 25, 2008 5:21 am

Whatever they do end up getting, it is very unlikely that they will be standard MP36's either. MBTA previously held an option for additional MP36 units on the Utah procurement and did not exercise it. They subsequently decided to do a separate RFP to their own specification. The locomotives recently announced by Wabtec to begin delivery to MARC in a couple months may be the remaining option units on the Utah transaction. If so, there may not be any more option units available to other organizations from that purchase.

MX
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"
mxdata

Postby jwhite07 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 am

I noticed some of the mock-ups said MBTX and others said MBTA. What's the difference? I think all of the real MBTA engines I've been in say MBTX.

Actually they say XMBT in the cab, but the proper AAR reporting mark is now MBTX.
jwhite07

Postby diburning » Mon May 26, 2008 9:43 am

MBTA3247 wrote:
realtype wrote:

Every other commuter railroad in the Northeast, save SLE, owns some sort of electric equipment.

Every other commuter railroad inherited substantial amounts of electrified trackage from Conrail and its predecessors. The T only has one route that's electrified, and it's simply not cost effective to have dedicated equipment for just one line. Even to operate electrics on that route would require expensive electrification projects at Southampton Street and Readville, and perhaps even the entire Fairmount Line for access to the latter. There's no money available for even that minimal electrification, never mind electrifying the rest of the southside.

well, can't they design a hybrid loco that can run off a panto when catenary is availible and runs off diesel when it's not?

Amtrak has P32AC-DMs that can run off a third rail when inside New York's Penn Station. (Diesel emissions are not allowed in that tunnel) and runs diesel everywhere else.
diburning

Postby maxman927 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:45 pm

sounds feasible, you just take some pantographs and onnect them the the generator.
maxman927

Postby AEM7AC920 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 pm

diburning wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:
realtype wrote:

well, can't they design a hybrid loco that can run off a panto when catenary is availible and runs off diesel when it's not?

Amtrak has P32AC-DMs that can run off a third rail when inside New York's Penn Station. (Diesel emissions are not allowed in that tunnel) and runs diesel everywhere else.

That is pointless! We only run under 1 line with overhead catenary so why waste time designing a loco that can only run the option on 1 line out of 14?? The MBTA runs diesel locomotives only and that is how it is going to be for quite some time, we won't see any type of electrics anytime soon and it is easier said then done.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby realtype » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:That is pointless! We only run under 1 line with overhead catenary so why waste time designing a loco that can only run the option on 1 line out of 14?? The MBTA runs diesel locomotives only and that is how it is going to be for quite some time, we won't see any type of electrics anytime soon and it is easier said then done.

I disagree that operating electrics over only 1 line would be pointless. I'm guessing that the NEC MBTA line is either the busiest, or one of the busiest lines in the system. If so it would make sense to use electrics on that 1 line.

MARC currently operates 4 AEM-7s and 6 HHP-8s on the NEC Penn Line (DC-BALT-Perryville)--MARC's busiest line. MARC's other two lines are non-electrified CSX ROW, so the electrics are limited to the one line. The use of electrics is definitely worth it, as it allows MARC to take full advantage of the 125mph top speed on that line, making MARC the fastest commuter railroad in the country. While about half the trains on the Penn Line are still diesel-powered (especially the midday trains), all of the longer trains are powered by electric locos. Part of the reason for this is because MARC's GP40s only have enough HEP for 6 cars, and the GP39s only have enough for 4 cars.

I also am willing to speculate that it would be cheaper to operate electrics on those long trains in electrified territory, rather than paying for diesel fuel. I think the MBTA should just buy some secondhand AEM-7s from Amtrak.
realtype

Postby sery2831 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:11 pm

realtype wrote:I think the MBTA should just buy some secondhand AEM-7s from Amtrak.

Amtrak has no electric locos that they could sell off. They need every unit they have. The T has no way to maintain electric equipment. And operationally speaking the T does not run dedicated equipment to one line. The best example is the Old Colony trains run everywhere on the South Side and you see regular trains on the Old Colony.

So lets move off this subject and get back on topic. The has put out it's RFP, we have an idea what we are getting. Lets stick to what we know the T is looking to purchase.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby mbta1051dan » Tue May 27, 2008 2:34 pm

AAARRRRGH This thread is sounding really like a broken record player now...

Everyone talks about MP36s, but I think a more likely candidate for us is what GO Transit has, the MP40?

-Dan
MBTA 1051
mbta1051dan

Postby mxdata » Tue May 27, 2008 11:06 pm

The most likely candidate is a locomotive that meets the specific requirements of the RFP.

MX
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"
mxdata

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)