Court Street Open Today!

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Court Street Open Today!

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:20 pm

If this is already posted somewhere than I'm sorry but today at Government Center you could see right through to Court Street Station. There were lights on inside but I couldnt see much because it was only the top of the vent that was open. Since there were lights on I assume that they use it for something, if so what is it used for?
MBTA1

Postby NealG » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:45 pm

Where can you see it from?
NealG

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:23 pm

It is viewable on the North Station Bound platform towards the Park Street side.
MBTA1

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Just what is the "court street station?"

I've never heard of this before.
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:41 am

It's a former terminus for the Blue Line that was obliterated when the Blue Line was extended further west.
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 am

NETransit has a good introduction to abandoned portions of the subway system, by Jonathan Belcher, on its website. Here's the section about Court Street:

" Court Street:

Court Street station was the original terminus of the East Boston tunnel from December 30, 1904, to November 1914, when the extension to Bowdoin was opened. To extend the tracks, the floor of Court Street was removed, and the tunnel built below. This allowed the new tunnel to pass underneath the Scollay Square station of the Tremont Street subway. Scollay Under was built to replace Court.

Court Street was on the same level as the Tremont Street subway, and was only separated by a thin wall. A passageway connected Court to Scollay (upper). Court Street has remained abandoned and without a floor since. In the last ten years, the space has been converted into a ventilation room. It can best be viewed from the Green Line Government Center station in the summer, when the vent grates are open. "

The full article is at:
http://members.aol.com/eddanamta/abandoned/abanstas.html
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby BC Eagle » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:50 am

I saw that yesterday passing through on a trolley, and was excited at first thinking it might have been an abandoned platform. Once I saw all the ventilation equipment, I figured I was wrong and went back to reading my book. I should have went with my first instinct! If I new that was Court St., I would have gotten off the train and taken a closer look.
BC Eagle

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:15 am

I almost got off at Park and switched back to see it but I was running late and decided to stay on the train.
MBTA1

Postby CS » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:40 pm

Any pictures of it around?
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby MBTA1 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:30 pm

At this link there is a drawing of Court Street Station and the Court Street Head house. Hope it helps.

http://www.celebrateboston.com/gallery/mbtablueline.htm [/img]
MBTA1

Postby Charliemta » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:13 am

MBTA1,

Awesome gallery of the first East Boston line! I worked my way back in the website and found similar pictures and write-ups for the historic Green and Orange lines. The link is:

http://www.celebrateboston.com/gallery/gallery.htm
Charliemta

Postby lstrong » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:57 pm

How much of the station is still intact?

The article mentions a passageway between Court and Scollay Upper. Where is/was this passageway?
lstrong

Postby MBTA1 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:28 am

When you are leaving Gov't Center towards State if you look on the operators left, in the abandoned trolley platform there is a metal staircase which I believe heads up to Court St. Can anybody confirm this?

Also I believe that most of the station is still intact except that a lot of the floor was removed to make the Bowdoin extension. :wink:
MBTA1

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:04 am

I can. In the Images of America series of books, the one about the Blue Line has a picture of GC when they rebuilt it in '63. There is a picture of the old station with the metal strairway.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby lstrong » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:03 pm

you can get a really good view of it out the window of a train as it passes in front of that vent if you're not moving too quickly... anyone got a camera?
lstrong

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)