Merrimack River Bridge in Haverhill

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Merrimack River Bridge in Haverhill

Postby jbvb » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 am

New bridge timbers are installed up to the former location of the "island track" switch just short of Washington St. Galvanized grating walkway is installed at the Bradford end, but no railing yet. It also looks like they've started the guardrail.
jbvb

Postby jbvb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:18 am

The westerly track has been finished for more than a week. They replaced the timbers on the girder span over the road in Bradford last of all. There is only one guardrail. The deck truss spans have full-length walkway and railing. The trhough truss span has a couple of refuge platforms. No obvious change in the speed limit and the employee I asked wasn't sure whether the "one train at a time" requirement had changed. Since the work was completed, every T commuter I've seen arrive in Haverhill has used the westerly track.
jbvb

Postby NV290 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:03 pm

jbvb wrote:The westerly track has been finished for more than a week. They replaced the timbers on the girder span over the road in Bradford last of all. There is only one guardrail. The deck truss spans have full-length walkway and railing. The trhough truss span has a couple of refuge platforms. No obvious change in the speed limit and the employee I asked wasn't sure whether the "one train at a time" requirement had changed. Since the work was completed, every T commuter I've seen arrive in Haverhill has used the westerly track.

They were doing testing on the bridge saturday. They had two F40's (No cars) and they put strain gauges all over the bridge and were running the units back and forth and stopping them in certain areas.

There still is ALOT of work to be done. Thousands of rivets need to be replaced as well as the entire #1 track deck.
NV290

Postby fully » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Do you guys know if there are any other operations (other than MBCR and Amtrak) that use this bridge? I'm looking at a property nearby and wondering how busy this railway is. Seems like it handles a couple of trains per hour based on their posted schedules.
Thanks!
fully

Postby tober » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Pan Am (fka Guilford) does use this bridge, it is on their freight main.
tober

Postby fully » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks tober. Unfortunately, that wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

I'm doing a noise study for a nearby project that is applying for HUD funding. The study requires details about the freight operations to estimate the sound levels. Anyone know who I might talk with (phone number or email for a central disbatcher?) to find out how frequent their operations are?
fully

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Ask over in the Pan Am/Guilford forum.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby jbvb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:43 am

The MBTA sent out an email notice that re-timbering the easterly ("outbound") track on the bridge starts 18 April and may take as much as a month. A few more trains will be bus-substituted, I'll post the list tonight.
jbvb

Postby jbvb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:17 am

"During this phase of the project it is anticipated that all commuter rail service may experience delays of up to 15 minutes."

#209 terminates at Lawrence. #218 starts out as a bus at Haverhill at 0945, train leaves Lawrence o/t at 1014.
#227 (1630 outbound) terminates in Bradford with a bus across the bridge. #236 starts out as a bus at Haverhill at 1805, train leaves the outbound (easterly, #1 track) platform at Bradford at 1815.

And "Passengers MUST access and egress all trains utilizing the INBOUND platform." Ok, A in vocabulary, C- in style and clarity.
jbvb

Postby jbvb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:41 pm

As of Thursday, bridge timber replacement had reached the southerly end of the through truss span, and new rail had reached the northerly riverbank. Since the project started, #227/#236 had been operating normally to Haverhill, rather than being bussed from/to Bradford, but tonight they tried the bus, with the same problems seen with evening rush-hour arrivals in Bradford as observed during last year's project.
jbvb

Postby sery2831 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:43 am

The normal plan for #227 is arrive at Haverhill, move east to CPF-HA to allow the Downeaster to pass. Then deadhead to Bradford where it crosses over to the number one track, and sits in the outbound Bradford station until leaving time. The passengers are bused from Haverhill to Bradford for that inbound.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:33 pm

John -

As I said on the other board, Thursday change for 227/236 was due to a small timber fire on the bridge.

d
GP40MC1118

Postby sery2831 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 am

I should have mentioned that in the post. I was just trying to say how it is supposed to go :-)
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby jbvb » Sat May 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Friday, tie replacement had reached the most southerly pier, but new rail still ended at the north bank. In the area of the through truss span, several new ties had been lifted and I think I saw metal shavings on the bridge structure in the openings.
jbvb

Postby jbvb » Tue May 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Rode #223 today. The Merrimack River bridge is completely re-timbered except for a couple of sections on the through truss span. Rail has been replaced on the northerly deck truss span. They are definitely replacing rivets on the crosswise support beams of the through truss span. They haven't done anything about the timbers on the through girder span over the road by the Georgetown Branch switch.
jbvb

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)