T cleans up...sorta

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

T cleans up...sorta

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:00 pm

As a Boston commuter I stopped using the T during the DNC. I just took a ride the other day and I am amazed at what the T did to clean up and help commuters.

Hynes/ICA bus stop: WOW! Where did that come from! I used to take classes near here at the BAC and I can't belive how great it looks. It couldnt have cost that much to fix up.

All those signs. They are helpful but I saw a few that confused me still. There was one at DC going north that said Outbound...but I thought that was still going Inbound until State?

Green signage at Park St 'Under'...I was walking down the platform and I noticed that above the signage that points to the Green Line the red strip was replaced with a green one. I don't know if that helped but it was an interesting idea.

LCD signs... nope, still nuthin.

Clocks: I saw a few that told the right time but most didnt.

Park St: FINALLY that store opens up. I don't know what they sell but at least it adds nice atmosphere.

Anyone else notice any nice new additions....or bad ones for that matter?
vanshnookenraggen

Postby trigonalmayhem » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:46 pm

I actually really hate those new signs. They're tacky (on cardbord, no less!) and the font is atrocious. It doesn't go with any of the signage and I think it really detracts from the overall look and feel of the T.

They might make a few things clearer, but I really would rather that they go away and proper signage be invested in. I can't believe that they claimed 'improved signage' was one of the things the DNC brought.
If those things stick around, I'm going to be less than thrilled (and maybe take it into my own hands when no one is around).
trigonalmayhem

Postby jwhite07 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:44 am

Green signage at Park St 'Under'...I was walking down the platform and I noticed that above the signage that points to the Green Line the red strip was replaced with a green one. I don't know if that helped but it was an interesting idea.

I noticed the same thing on the Blue Line westbound platform at State. The alternating blue and orange looks like a circus tent. :wink: I suppose it's a good idea, even though it isn't too easy on the eyes.

Wonder what the guys at Cambridge Seven think about it?
jwhite07

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:19 am

I agree on the signage, it is ugly and they should invest in better signs. I have a feeling that the T will probably leave them up until people start ripping them down.
vanshnookenraggen

Re: T cleans up...sorta

Postby BC Eagle » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:50 pm

vanshnookenraggen wrote:All those signs. They are helpful but I saw a few that confused me still. There was one at DC going north that said Outbound...but I thought that was still going Inbound until State?

That sign at Downtown Crossing does sound like an error. Downtown Crossing is considered the "central" station for the Orange Line. All the permanant signage uses the terminals to indicate direction, Oak Grove and Forest Hills. This can be confusing because the central station for the Red Line is Park St. There are some permanant signs at Downtown Xing that indicate outbound and inbound on the Redline.
BC Eagle

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:16 pm

what the T needs to do is put an LED lign on Track 3 outbound side at the high level platform and in the middle of the platform and it should say what track the train is going to be on. For those of you who don't know, the MBTA sometimes runs trains #811 and #813 on Track 4 (inbound track) in Attleboro, and the way the attleboro station is, if you are on the high level platform in Attleboro on the outbound side, you can't see the train untill it is coming up the hill, and then you have to run the 800 feet or so to the end, down the stairs, under the bridge and back up and make it on time for the train . just my opinon
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby apodino » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:10 am

They need to do that on the old colony as well. Often times the outbound train on the middleboro line uses the inbound track at montello, and I have boarded the inbound train once from the outbound track there.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)