GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:14 pm

With the addition of the 1129, its five GP40MC's out to AMP.

1116 & 1119 out there since May 2007 for the mysterious road-switcher
mods experiment. Dead silence on these two...

1128 & 1131 out there since April 2008. Nothing on the CSX Trace about
them coming back...

The 1129 landed in Rochester, NY July 17th. I assume it will be handed
over to the R&S this coming week to take to AMP in Danville.

D
GP40MC1118
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby GP40MC1118 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 pm

The 1128 & 1131 arrived in Selkirk today on Q380-21. I suspect they will be coming to Boston tonight or tomorrow or Q420 to Beacon Park.

D

Oh ya...silence is golden regarding the the 119 & 1116
GP40MC1118
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby diburning » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 pm

I hope it comes in on Q420. I just don't know when Q420 gets to beacon park though. It would be nice to get pictures of it trailing behind CSX units.

Does anyone know when Q420 gets to beacon park?
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 am

diburning wrote:I hope it comes in on Q420. I just don't know when Q420 gets to beacon park though. It would be nice to get pictures of it trailing behind CSX units.

Does anyone know when Q420 gets to beacon park?


Q420 usually gets into Beacon Park in the evening hours, I want to say around 6-8, but it could get to Beacon at midnight
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby Veristek » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 pm

What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?
Veristek
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby diburning » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Veristek wrote:What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?


It's a train number. More like a trip number. For example, Q420 goes from Selkirk Yard, NY to Beacon Park Yard, MA daily.

The rain was pouring so I didn't bother to go out today. I guess if Q420 comes in during the evening, it would be hard to take pictures too.
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 pm

diburning wrote:
Veristek wrote:What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?


It's a train number. More like a trip number. For example, Q420 goes from Selkirk Yard, NY to Beacon Park Yard, MA daily.

The rain was pouring so I didn't bother to go out today. I guess if Q420 comes in during the evening, it would be hard to take pictures too.


The train that MBTA loco's are getting shipped out on is Q421, which leaves Beacon Park in the early morning hours, but if your lucky, you can catch them during the late morning hours. I have seen them come through Framigham at 12:30 pm
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Q420 through Chatham Center at 1725 hours with leader CSXT #691, CSXT
(?), MBTA (?) and MBTA #1131 with 64 cars.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby mbta1051dan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 am

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Q420 through Chatham Center at 1725 hours with leader CSXT #691, CSXT
(?), MBTA (?) and MBTA #1131 with 64 cars.


Anyone got pix? I live in the Canaan area during the summer, so I probably heard it last night. No screaming HEP generators, though!lol

-Dan
MBTA 1051
User avatar
mbta1051dan
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby diburning » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:47 pm

mbta1051dan wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Q420 through Chatham Center at 1725 hours with leader CSXT #691, CSXT
(?), MBTA (?) and MBTA #1131 with 64 cars.


Anyone got pix? I live in the Canaan area during the summer, so I probably heard it last night. No screaming HEP generators, though!lol

-Dan


The HEP generators were probably not running. The locomotives were only trailing, hitched and pulled as rolling stock. The MBTA locomotives were not pulling or helping to pull the freight train. (although CSX "lost" a FL9 once and it was found later that they were using it for road power for freights... An FL9 pulling freight... That's a sight to see)

How early in the morning does Q421 leave beacon? Also, how can I find out when the next two units are leaving for overhaul?
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Even if the the MBTA units were providing tracion the HEP would not be running anyways just the main engine would since there are no cars to provide HEP for.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby mbta1051dan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:36 am

AEM7AC920 wrote:Even if the the MBTA units were providing tracion the HEP would not be running anyways just the main engine would since there are no cars to provide HEP for.


I know that I was just kidding lol because they are so loud :)

-Dan
MBTA 1051
User avatar
mbta1051dan
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:13 am

diburning wrote:
mbta1051dan wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Q420 through Chatham Center at 1725 hours with leader CSXT #691, CSXT
(?), MBTA (?) and MBTA #1131 with 64 cars.


Anyone got pix? I live in the Canaan area during the summer, so I probably heard it last night. No screaming HEP generators, though!lol

-Dan


How early in the morning does Q421 leave beacon? Also, how can I find out when the next two units are leaving for overhaul?


I have read that they leave as early as 3 am, usually when Q119 heads west. CSX conductor can give you a better answer on their call time.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:44 pm

The 1128 & 1131 were delivered by CSX B721 today in Somerville.

D
GP40MC1118
 
Posts: 3294
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

Postby diburning » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:26 pm

I think two units went out or arrived yesterday (saturday, july 26). I went by beacon on my way to north station and I saw two mbta units sitting at beacon.
User avatar
diburning
 
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Practicing safe CSX by using Three-Step Protection

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StefanW and 9 guests