Special North Station-Back Bay trains for DNC follks?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Special North Station-Back Bay trains for DNC follks?

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:29 am

I spent Monday and Tuesday afternoons volunteering for WalkBoston, encouraging delegates and other DNC folks to walk to the convention instead of taking buses. While doing so, I looked at an official map that was being handed out by DNC volunteers. It had the North Station entrance, at Causeway and Canal streets, labelled as "Back Bay Express Train". Was there really a special Orange Line train for DNC people this week?
Ron Newman

Postby typesix » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:27 pm

It must be the "VIP" trains I heard on the scanner that were run.
typesix

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:43 pm

Do you know when they ran, and how many? Did they run only from North Station to Back Bay, or also the other direction?
Ron Newman

Postby typesix » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:40 pm

I was casually listening at night while doing chores and heard the Orange dispatcher mention the VIP trains. Therefore I don't know how many were run and in what direction. I just heard VIP trains mentioned several times between 10pm to midnight.
typesix

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:33 pm

In that case they'd probably be southbound -- people leaving the convention hall as the day's events neared an end.
Ron Newman

Postby SbooX » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:23 pm

I semi-witnessed one tonight on my way home. North Station Southbound platform was filled with people who had obviously just left the convention, shortly after the big speech tonight. Yeah, I'm pissed. As if these people have had enough special privledges already. So much for public transportation. I wonder how many of the were searched.
SbooX

Postby bierhere » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:48 am

bierhere

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:59 am

ShooX - how did you see this? Were you on a regular northbound or southbound Orange Line train at that time?
Ron Newman

Postby SbooX » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:52 pm

I was on a regular northbound train, which I boarded maybe 20-30 minutes after Kerry's speech ended.
SbooX

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:43 am

But Marin said the T should be going out of its way for all its 1.1 million daily riders, making permanent the service improvements instituted for the convention, such as clearer signs.

Oh my god, does this mean they're going to KEEP those garish signs they put up for the convention in every station?

Those are so ugly (worst font selection ever) and completely don't mesh with the rest of the system signage.
trigonalmayhem

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)