Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:25 pm

frrc wrote:Read an article in the local paper stating that the goal is 80mph speeds on the Fitchburg line, after the track upgrades. What's the current
max speed on this line anyway ?


Max speed is 60.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby mbta1051dan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:
frrc wrote:Read an article in the local paper stating that the goal is 80mph speeds on the Fitchburg line, after the track upgrades. What's the current
max speed on this line anyway ?


Max speed is 60.


How often do they make that?
MBTA 1051
User avatar
mbta1051dan
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:40 pm

mbta1051dan wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:
frrc wrote:Read an article in the local paper stating that the goal is 80mph speeds on the Fitchburg line, after the track upgrades. What's the current
max speed on this line anyway ?


Max speed is 60.


How often do they make that?


60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby mbta1051dan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:49 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...


Hmmm yeah and I've been riding the Fitchburg since we first moved here which was way back in 94 or so I even remember when we ran K cars on this line!!!

I wonder if any other stretches West of South Acton still have joints??? The furthest I have ridden is Shirley and as I remember it was 60 and continuous rail from S. Acton back when I rode to Shirley in '06.
MBTA 1051
User avatar
mbta1051dan
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby 130MM » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:39 am

mbta1051dan wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:60? and it's done all the time on various stretches... Ex Kendall green and concord...


Hmmm yeah and I've been riding the Fitchburg since we first moved here which was way back in 94 or so I even remember when we ran K cars on this line!!!

I wonder if any other stretches West of South Acton still have joints??? The furthest I have ridden is Shirley and as I remember it was 60 and continuous rail from S. Acton back when I rode to Shirley in '06.


Only a couple of small patches in Ayer, and a little in and west of FG up to Water St. OH bridge on Track 2, but the passenger trains no longer use that track.

DAW
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Here is an article regarding upgrades to the Fitchburg line in Leominster. They mention an interlocking, what Interlocking would this be?

Leominster environmental concerns
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby ST214 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 am

Can't get the article to open...

I had heard the possibility of putting a interlocking at Slab City, but nothing has come of it that i know of.


MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Here is an article regarding upgrades to the Fitchburg line in Leominster. They mention an interlocking, what Interlocking would this be?

Leominster environmental concerns
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
User avatar
ST214
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby GP40MC1118 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I understand that a new interlocking at Derby curve will replace Slab City.
Also, the west end of Ayer gets power up. Tentative name is CP-Camp

D
GP40MC1118
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby 130MM » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

GP40MC1118 wrote:I understand that a new interlocking at Derby curve will replace Slab City.
Also, the west end of Ayer gets power up. Tentative name is CP-Camp

D


Tentative Interlocking Disposition:

Swift -- Stays as is
West Cambridge -- retired (don't worry you Watertown Branch fanatics, the switch will be retained as a hand throw)
Hill Crossing - retired
Hills -- universal #20 installed approximately MP 6
Waltham -- remain, though the easterly switch (the #1) will be moved east out onto the tangent
Baker Bridge -- installed near where Rt. 126 crosses over
South Acton -- renamed Maynard Jct. to differentiate it from South Acton station. Also, the double track will extend through the interlocking and the station (a new center island platform will be built). Will consist of a #15 crossover east of new platform
Martin St. -- retired
Acton -- an equilateral at the end of double track between Richardson's Crossing (Central St.) and Mass Ave.
CPF-WL (Willows) -- no change
CPF-AY (Ayer) -- gets an additional power turnout to W. Main St siding, no other changes
CPF-Camp -- new universal #20 with power connections to the west end of the Camp Track and W. Main St. siding.
CPF-Slab City -- Retired
CPF-Derby -- universal #20 installed area of Lununberg Middle east of Derby Curve. #1 track to be shifted to location of middle track with existing #1 retained as a switching lead for the two consignees there connected to the new #1 with a #10 power crossover
CPF-FG -- westerly crossover (the #7) gets changed from a #15 to a #20

Of course, all of the above is subject to change at any time before it is put into track
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Yikes that is a good amount of changes some of us will need to requalify for all of that. :wink:
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby jonnhrr » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

I thought the single track sections in Waltham and S. Acton to Willows were being doubled?

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
User avatar
jonnhrr
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Sabattus ME USA

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby 130MM » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm

That was originally part of the plan, but the scale of the project has been cut back to meet the available money.

DAW

jonnhrr wrote:I thought the single track sections in Waltham and S. Acton to Willows were being doubled?

Jon
130MM
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby trainhq » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 am

Well, in that case, they're not going to be doing a whole lot. I had remembered that the
double tracking was fairly high on the priority list, right behind the replacement of jointed
track with CWR. However, be that as it may, just doing that would give a considerable
increase in speed. That may be about all they get done for now.
trainhq
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 pm

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby TheOperator » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 pm

They're gonna do some things... like close the Waltham Tower, leaving me out of a job :(

Also, why would they take out so many interlockings east of Waltham (i.e. Hill Crossing, West Cambridge)? They're still used frequently to cross over passenger trains when needed and move rail equipment from West Cambridge yard... dumb move by MBCR.
"Paranoia; you only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile." - George Carlin
TheOperator
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:38 am
Location: South of Boston

Re: Fitchburg Line Upgrades

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Well the T is making these calls, not MBCR! I am sort of surprised that they are making the West Cambridge MOW base have a hand throw entry!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests