Spaulding Hosptial

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Spaulding Hosptial

Postby Porter Sq » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:48 pm

I had the pleasure staying at this hosptial for 2 weeks after a car accident i was in. the best part about it was the trains all day long. For the first week I had the side facing the commuter rail and the zakim bridge. After that i moved to the side with the green line witch was great because i knew it was being torn down and watched all i could while i was there. My questions is does anybody on this forum railfan down there next to the CR tracks? There is a litlle walkway that goes out to the drawbridge and gives great views of trains coming in and out. The enginers are also pretty friendly usually the would wave to me when they would go buy. But for anybody that needs to be in rehab and a railfan this is the place to be and it has some of the best views around boston.
Porter Sq

Postby Charliemta » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:11 pm

The Spaulding Hospital offers great views, but I wish they had never built it there. It blocks the future use of one of the unused N. Station rail platforms. Earlier plans for the Big Dig would have wiped Spaulding Hospital out, but the highway designers managed to work around it.

It just seems like very poor planning to put a high rise hospital in the path of future railroads, riverfront parks and highways.
Charliemta

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:49 pm

That is because the future is very grim, thanks to all of the NIMBY's in the world today......even if the railroad was there for a 100 years before the NIMBY decides to build a house next to the tracks, unfortunately the NIMBY will win to some extent. :(
CSX Conductor

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)