Orange Line Searches

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby BC Eagle » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:53 pm

ST214 wrote:But again, if the train is in the tunnel, or in a ststion, then when the cops board, they're gonna blow themselves up before they get searched.

The 9/11 Commission report revealed that the terrorists conducted extensive reconnaissance prior to the hijackings, including taking the flights several time in preparation. One could only assume that if planning an attack on the MBTA, or any other train system, they would do so again. Upon learning of the searchings, why bother going through with their plans? They would easily find out about them before executing an attack, either from the news, or during test runs. I think it a safe assumption that they would change their methods rather than risk a search. Whether this includes moving to a different train system, or something not involving trains at all, either way it prevents one type of attack. Why would a terrorist risk detection, or be forced to launch their plans early, not achieving their full objective? They would most likely scratch the plan, and go at it another way. Granted, this would not completely erase the threat of a terrorist attack, it would more than likely prevent one on a rapid transit line conducting blanket searches. Random searches changes everything, the possibility of getting to your objective without detection significantly increases, and thus random searches don't accomplish as much. On the Orange Line last week, the T conducted blanket searches. As my train each day passed underneath the Fleet Center I felt much safer than I would have otherwise.
BC Eagle

Postby BC Eagle » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:01 pm

Ron Newman wrote:I went to that Patriots victory rally and never got searched...

I attended the Patriots rallies in both 2002 and 2004. I'm not sure at which one it was, but my bag was searched atleast one of the times. I entered through Center Plaza, and Boton police were searching bags. If you don't remember it happening last February, then it was in 2002. This would make more sense given the proximity to September 11. Either way, my point remains valid. Searches are conducted on public lands for special events, fireworks displays, concerts, etc.
BC Eagle

DNC

Postby Porter Sq » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:17 pm

Rode OL From DTX to Community College on the 23rd. While I was on the platform at Dtx 2 MP's and Transit Cop walked by together down the platform. When we got to Haymarket one TSA personal checked my car. No one on the train objeted to their bags being searched. On the way back from CC they were searching the train also i got on with no problem because I didin't have a bag.
Porter Sq

DNC

Postby Porter Sq » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:18 pm

Rode OL From DTX to Community College on the 23rd. While I was on the platform at Dtx 2 MP's and Transit Cop walked by together down the platform. When we got to Haymarket one TSA personal checked my car. No one on the train objeted to their bags being searched. On the way back from CC they were searching the train also i got on with no problem because I didin't have a bag.
Porter Sq

Re: DNC

Postby BC Eagle » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:31 pm

Porter Sq wrote:Rode OL From DTX to Community College on the 23rd. While I was on the platform at Dtx 2 MP's and Transit Cop walked by together down the platform. When we got to Haymarket one TSA personal checked my car. No one on the train objeted to their bags being searched. On the way back from CC they were searching the train also i got on with no problem because I didin't have a bag.

Are you sure this was Friday, July 23? I'm pretty sure the type of security you're describing wasn't in place until Monday, July 26.
BC Eagle

Searches

Postby Porter Sq » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:20 am

It was the 27th i just can't can't backwards sorry for the mix up.
Porter Sq

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:04 am

Now that things are back to normal, the extra police presence should go away by now, only if the terror alert goes up to orange or red.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)