Closed cars on red line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Closed cars on red line

Postby lstrong » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:29 am

I've run into at least 3 Red Line trains this week that had a single car out of service. This used to be very rare. Is there a car shortage on the Red Line?

The trains have been made up of 15/16/1700s The cars out of service seem to be mostly 1700s.
lstrong

Postby Reddy Rocker » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:52 pm

Basically this is another serious problem that the T has. It needs to etiehr stop, or they need to explain why the cars are isolated. Of course since neither is going to happen, I advise you to just wait for the next train if you encounter one of these screw ups.

All rants aside, anyone else know why the T could screw around like this?
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:39 pm

Speaking of out of service cars I just hate how you get a train and there always seems to be that one car in the consist that has no working AC. The last few times i been on the red line i have got isolated cars in a consist just makes you wonder where all the tax dollars are going.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Isolated cars

Postby McTed » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:35 pm

Generally for the most part an isolated car means only one of two possibilities.

1 A door problem of some type, such as 2 half doors in the same door or a sensitive edge went bad.

2 A hot car where the air conditioning has failed for some reason.

Both theses issues more than likely happened after the train went into service but since they do not effect the propulsion or braking systems they are ok to run in service and taken off after the rush hour for repairs.
McTed

Postby McTed » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:39 pm

PS: Sorry forgot to mention isolated cars are an inconvenience to all involve but far less of an inconvenience than taking the train out of service all together. I would be more likely to assume they were hot cars considering the temperatures we experienced the last few days.
McTed

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:57 pm

Guys, don't worry. This has happened to me also, especially that I have to ride the Red Line from/to Braintree every day for work, and I've had several trains delayed because of T officials having to shutter cars on the Red Line mainly.

Just to let ya'all know, even the 01800s are not imune either, especially when the temperature exceeds 100 degrees in the car, it has failing A/C sometimes, and for that as mentioned, the 01800 cars are shuttered too.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Reddy Rocker » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:17 am

The main problem I have is the fact that they don't warn about it or explain to the passengers anything about the reason why the car was isolated. According to the MBTA Bill of Rights, on their wevb site, the passengers have a right to know about delays and problems with service. However, this Bill of Rights is obviously a joke as we can see here.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby McTed » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:27 pm

Reddy

I don’t really want to get into a debate about this, but look at what you’re asking. If you were standing in a station waiting for a train how would they warn you if one of the cars in the next train arriving has an isolated car?
If you mean writing an email to the MBTA it maybe how you ask the question is how you get the answer. Next time you want such a question answered be sure to include the car number, date and approximate time which was effected during the disabled and ask for a detailed response from maintenance as to what the cause of the isolated car was?

Or

Send me an email give me a few days and I’ll be glad to find out for you. Mcted@lycos.com

I’ll warn you I do not look at this email account everyday so be as patient as you can.

Lastly I read this forum at least once a day.
McTed

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)