Worcester/Framingham expansion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Worcester/Framingham expansion

Postby bierhere » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:15 pm

bierhere

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:58 pm

I hope the metrowest NIMBYs don't kill this. Framingham gets twice as much service as Worcester, and I'd really like to see that change.

They might complain about it only being for people in Worcester and Boston, but I think that's fair in any case.

Plus, what I really don't get is that if they run more trains to Worcester, that means Framingham et al also get more trains per day, so how can they say that it won't do them any good?

It sounds like some angry drivers want to derail (ha ha) this. The traffic concerns are the only 'legitimate' problem they raise, and the whole point of transit is to make it easier to get places without a car.
trigonalmayhem

Postby ST214 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:29 am

Framingham will not get more trains. These new Worcester trains will be current trains that terminate in Framingham, just being extended to Worcester. This means more delayed trains, due to CSX.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

There will more trains if FSC station get created

Postby bierhere » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:13 am

Since Framingham State College is off a freight spur, you would have to increase the total number of trains to increase Worcester service and provide service to FSC.

Current trains that terminate in Framingham would go to FSC and you would add more trains to increase service to Worcester.

The biggest compliant for people in Framingham is the gates at 126/135 already come down 4x per hour between MBTA/CSX. This intersection is already terrible and this will make it much worse, but I really believe Worcester needs the increased service.
bierhere

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:00 pm

Much work would have to be done to the Ficthburg Secondary (which by the way is Form D territory and begins in the North Yard) in order for MBTA trains to head north to FSC.

As far as the crossing at Concord St, I love coming through there on a Friday afternoon with about 40 or more cars at Restricted Speed........everyone looks so pissed-off....... lol especially coming off the Framingham Secondary, because now your train is blocking RTe135 (Waverly Street) also at the same time..... :P
CSX Conductor

Postby ST214 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:17 pm

They give them a Form D?? Since only one train goes up there, why not do what Reading did years ago and just put up a sign that flips that says "TRAIN ON BRANCH"
ST214

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:37 pm

and also, the article is incorrect........CSXT owns the tracks all the way into Boston as far as the west side of Cove Interlocking (the interlocking just east of Back Bay Station).
CSX Conductor

Postby trainhq » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:04 am

I don't know about the Framingham State Extension. It would certainly
get plenty of riders, and would help take traffic off 30/90. It's hard
to say whether they would stop there or view this as the first step in
phased expansion to Marlborough. To do the entire Marlborough expansion, however, would cost well over $200 million, which the
T doesn't have. I think what they might do is extend it to Framingham
State, see how ridership is, and then maybe extend it further when
they have some $$$.
trainhq

Postby johnpbarlow » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:16 pm

I like the incremental approach. The next stop constructed after Framingham State could be New York Ave industrial park at the Sheraton Tara/Bose/Mass Pike interchange. It's close to Staples HQ and lots of other businesses. There should be room to build a reasonable sized parking lot, as well.

Then the next stop to be built could be Southboro/Rte 30, which could service Marlboro as well as Southboro riders. Maybe that's as far as the T needs to go
johnpbarlow

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:58 pm

Thats about the only way CSXT will improve the track,,,,at the T's expense :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby ST214 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:24 pm

Oops, don't plan anything for the Fitchburg Secondary yet. I have a hunch it's going on the market. CSX has said it wants to shed itself of over 1200 miles of track, and yesterday, they started repairing sections of track, behind a Sperry rail detector.

Hopefully, the MBTA will buy it, restore from Leominster to Fitchburg, and shuttle equipment that way. A trainset of equipment that needs to head for BET would be sent out of South Station, on a train for Fitchburg Via Framinghan, and then run into North Station via the Fitchburg line. THe equipment to replace it could then come out of BON, go to Fitchburg, then head south to BOS Via Framingham. All this being done with the trains in revenue service. One big draw would these trains would stop in Clinton, and possibly other communities. Regular schedules would exist, just some movements would be equipment transfers.

Any takers???
ST214

Postby claytor » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:20 pm

CSX- You are incorrect. The tracks between Cove and Cp-21 are the property of the Mass Turnpike Authority and as it's agent the MBTA owns the property.
claytor

Postby mwzr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:20 am

what is a Form D?
mwzr

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:32 am

Yes Claytor, I know that the Mass Pike Authority owns the land......as far as just west of Auburndale though buddy. And the MBTA does NOT maintain the tracks...CSX maintains and operates west of Cove... :wink:

As far as that Sperry car.......it sure found a lot of bad track, only 2 miles of the 21 miles of Framingham Secondary are still at track speed (25MPH), the rest is all 10 MPH....uggh :(

For the fella inquiring as to what a Form D is, maybe this link will give you some eduaction to the signals and some track authority procedures in rail operations operating under Norac rules, which MBTA. CSXT (former Conrail), Amtrak, P&W, and Guilford operate under>>>

http://www.vnerr.com/training/NORAC_Signal_Rules.htm
CSX Conductor

Postby mwzr » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:27 pm

much appreciated, CSX Conductor
mwzr

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)