Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Diverging Route wrote:It's interesting that'd post this under "Green Line."

As myself and others have indicated above, this is in keeping with the general rebranding of the line, and eliminates the difference between the advertising and the operations. Only the performance remains "Red Line" or is that "Flat Line"
Last edited by Gerry6309 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Tonight's evening rush: 3087, 3262, 3254, missing, missing. That's assuming the shhool vacation 5 car schedule, as opposed to the normal six car schedule. What was happening at Mattapan for the last 18 months? (3234 probably caused the alert - it was running earlier.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Every single MBTA map, whether online, printed, posted in a vehicle, or posted in a station, colors the Mattapan Line red.
Ron Newman

Postby Epsilon » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Every single MBTA map, whether online, printed, posted in a vehicle, or posted in a station, colors the Mattapan Line red.

Perhaps that will change? (Meaning the T would need to update all their maps, including those few that were updated to show the Greenbush line, but since when have they cared about something like that?)
Epsilon

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Every single MBTA map, whether online, printed, posted in a vehicle, or posted in a station, colors the Mattapan Line red.

Let's wait and see what they post at the Mattapan Line stations before casting that in concrete. Since the signs are now green, my bet is the maps will show it that way. Remember, it took about 10 years to erase the Washington St. El and there are still maps without the Silver Line.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

Gerry6309

Postby danib62 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm willing to bet that on the maps it will still be in red. I think the T was just trying to be cute with the green "old-timey" looking signs.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby jamesinclair » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:09 am

Rebranding Mattapan as Green is extra dumb.

It runs at the end of the red line, is not connected to the green line, and does not follow the a-b-c-d-e scheme. Internal designation doesnt matter. For costumers, mattapan should be red. That's how it's been for decades, that's how people know it, and that's the easiest way to tell newcomers.

Whats easier:

"Take a green line from kenmore inbound, transfer to the red ashmont train at park and then take the trolley to mattapan"

Or

"Take a green line from kenmore inbound, transfer to the red ashmont train at park and then take the green line outbound to mattapan"
jamesinclair

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:12 am

Yeah, but the trolleys are orange. That obviously makes things much easier.
"Take the Green Line from Kenmore inbound, transfer to the Red Line Ashmont train at Park and then take the orange colored Green Line trolley outbound to Mattapan"
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby ironcladlou » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:14 am

Got an alert from wheresthet.com this morning that put Mattapan back with the Red Line.

http://wheresthet.com/alert/3086/
ironcladlou

Postby danib62 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 am

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Yeah, but the trolleys are orange. That obviously makes things much easier.
"Take the Green Line from Kenmore inbound, transfer to the Red Line Ashmont train at Park and then take the orange colored Green Line trolley outbound to Mattapan"
I think that fact that that the trolleys are orange is not such a big deal. I can't think of any other city other then boston where the colors of the lines match the rolling stock.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby danib62 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:48 am

There is an article in the globe today on the high speed line. See if you can spot the inaccuracies! It might be worth picking up the actual paper for this article today because there were some great pictures not in the online version.
danib62

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:16 pm

The only reason why the trolleys are Orange is because back in the MTA days, that was the color they wore. The Mattapan Line is part of the Red, but lettered on the rollsigns as "M", as if it were part of the Green. I say just leave them in Orange. I want to say that they were actually painted in Red at one time, but can't remember for sure.
CSX Conductor

Postby sery2831 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes, at one time they painted the ex-Dallas cars red. I believe this is when they modified some(all?) of these cars to be single ended.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Fred Rabin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:28 pm

danib62 wrote:
AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Yeah, but the trolleys are orange. That obviously makes things much easier.
I think that fact that that the trolleys are orange is not such a big deal. I can't think of any other city other then boston where the colors of the lines match the rolling stock.

Matching colors: Boston is probably the only place where the lines are 100% incompatible.
Fred R
Fred Rabin

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 pm

Right. In other cities such as Washington DC, you can stand on one platform and watch trains of more than one colored "Line" go by on the same track.
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)