Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jamesinclair » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Im confused at the fare area.

Do the trolleys charge bus fare? If not, doesnt this mean you have to pay 2 subway fares to transfer?

Also, the green signs are a really bad idea, I think.
jamesinclair

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:51 pm

jamesinclair wrote:Im confused at the fare area.

Do the trolleys charge bus fare? If not, doesnt this mean you have to pay 2 subway fares to transfer?

Also, the green signs are a really bad idea, I think.

The trolleys charge the standard subway fare. Coming from the Red Line, of course, you'd get a free transfer.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:56 am

There is little effort to collect fares from a large crowd, though. Mattapan and Ashmont should both be prepayment, but since the buses share the inbound Mattapan platform again, its impractical.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby danib62 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:39 pm

[cross-posted from the "other" forum]

I rode the Mattapan line today around noon for the first time since it reopened. There were three cars operating on the line. I had 3234 heading outbound, 3262 inbound and 3087 was the third car on the line.

Now that I saw them in person I don't mind the new signs so much. In fact I think they mesh better with the line then the old standard red ones. On the high speed line I don't think you need to worry too much about non-locals getting confused seeing as there aren't that many non-locals using it other then railfans.

They charged fares at every stop and everyone I saw had a charliecard. They also had staff out at every single station, I'm not quite sure what the point of that is. At Ashmont the entrance by the trolleys to the subway had fareboxes on wheels but there was no one staffing them to make sure people were paying fares. On the other end they have a little shack with some faregates. My charliecard worked fine for the transfer from the red line to the trolley.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby dieciduej » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:44 pm

I believe the personnel at every station is in regards to payment at every stop now as well as giving out Charlie Cards. The station crews where pushing the Charlie Cards on Saturday to promote the free transfer from trolley to Red Line service.

So they fixed what ever was wrong with 3234 and I am glad to see 3262 is back on track. I think the 3 car format is a 12 minute headway.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Does anyone know how much snow fell in total from the last few storms.

I had heard that after they got 3262 un-stuck the Green Line crews from Riverside who came over to help get it back on the rails had to hand shovel the track and so forth

What happened to 5164 being used on the line. NE Transit shows it looks to be stored at Riverside?

Also on a related note, the PCC Wire Car 3332 is also at Riverside Stored as well

I don't understand really why the MBTA has taken the 2 Mattapan/Ashmont Work Cars and moved them to Riverside...??
GP40MC 1116

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:08 pm

5164 has been out of service for sometime now. The Dallas PCC wire car was moved there but never once used to my knowledge. I am assuming that the overhead work done on the line is done with high rail trucks.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I believe CharlieTickets are also supposed to provide free transfer between the Mattapan trolley and the Red Line. Anyone know for sure?
Ron Newman

Postby danib62 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Ron Newman wrote:I believe CharlieTickets are also supposed to provide free transfer between the Mattapan trolley and the Red Line. Anyone know for sure?
In a similar vein the on the green line you can request a transfer printed on a CT good for either the silver line Washington or the Mattapan line if you pay with cash on board.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:00 pm

danib62 wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:I believe CharlieTickets are also supposed to provide free transfer between the Mattapan trolley and the Red Line. Anyone know for sure?
In a similar vein the on the green line you can request a transfer printed on a CT good for either the silver line Washington or the Mattapan line if you pay with cash on board.

What if you board at a subway station and wish to transfer to the Mattapan line?
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby danib62 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:13 pm

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:What if you board at a subway station and wish to transfer to the Mattapan line?
Then you use the CT that you used to get on at the subway.
danib62

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:49 pm

sery2831 wrote:5164 has been out of service for sometime now. The Dallas PCC wire car was moved there but never once used to my knowledge. I am assuming that the overhead work done on the line is done with high rail trucks.

The plow had a center bearing problem, which was complicated by a lack of personnel qualified to operate it. The line car was sent to Mattapan to get it off the Green Line making room for Type 8s. Both are likely to join their many sisters at Seashore. Delivewd in early 1908, 5164 will probably celebrate its 100th birthday on the property. When it departs, 3087 will become the oldest surviving passenger car on the property (due to turn 63 in April and still carrying passengers).
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:29 pm

sery2831 wrote:I am assuming that the overhead work done on the line is done with high rail trucks.

Yes.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby RailBus63 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:30 am

3rdrail wrote:Now that Gerry has cleared up the fact that the cars are running on their original division, does anybody know if this is unique in the U.S. ? Philly ?

San Francisco operates three of their original 'Torpedo' double-end PCC cars on the F Market route. The route itself only dates back to the mid 1980's, but these PCC's operated over some of the same trackage on Market Street from 1948 until the opening of the Muni Metro subway in the early 1980's.
RailBus63

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:47 pm

First posted delay of the renewed service...
Green Line Alerts

Subway Green Line - Mattapan line is experiencing 15-20 minute delays due to a disabled train. 12/26/2007 3:26 PM

It's interesting that'd post this under "Green Line." As we all know, the light rail (Green Line) division operates the Mattapan-Ashmont trolley. But to the general public, it's an extension of the Red Line -- and that's where they'd naturally look for delays on their service.
Enjoy Life!
Take the Diverging Route
Diverging Route

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)