Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Great explanation, Gerry. I would have expected nothing less. Thanks.
I miss that sound coming from the PCC's. You know, I'll bet that that sound saved many lives during the lifespan of the PCC's because, with the exception of that sound, the PCC was (is) a very quiet car. On street running, it could sneak up on you, especially if it was competing with regular traffic sounds. Park Street Station just isn't the same, is it ? :-D
(Moderator John - Gerry's explanation is worth a sticky, in my opinion.)
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 pm

One of the reasons the all-electric cars "broke down" so often was that operators didn't like them because pedestrians couldn't hear them coming. (super resilient wheels and no brake noises) This did not evolve at Arborway in the sixties. It was even more of a problem in Southie in the forties. The solution was to turn the car in for some arcane problem. The car got run in one end of the shop and out the other, "No Trouble Found", but to an outsider looking at the maintenance records, the cars were constantly breaking down.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

The woosh of air, the clumpety-clump of the track brakes, the ringing of the wheel - the song of the PCC.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby typesix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 pm

The cars Gerry were referring to were 3287 and 3299. 3287 had the Acoustaflex wheels also originally used on the LRVs. 3299 had I believe Bochum wheels.
typesix

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:39 pm

The experimental wheels were only on the rear of the cars as I remember. The front (handbrake) trucks were not changed. This meant it would not make the cars much quieter. The experiment was to see how the wheels held up in service, not to improve the PCCs sound quality. :(
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby typesix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:49 pm

3287 started out with both trucks with the resilients, don't know about 3299, never saw it with the resilients. I rode 3287 several times with the resilients and it was much nicer with the minimal squeal and the isolation from bumps like Copley Junction.
typesix

Postby RailBus63 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 am

After growing up riding the MBTA's PCC cars and their steel wheels, it still seems unusual to ride PCC's in other cities that have resilient wheels. The sound is very pleasant, though, and as much as I associate the squeal of the Boston PCC cars with the 1970's and 1980's, I find myself wishing that they had kept the quieter wheels instead of going with the solid ones.
RailBus63

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Update!

3260 is reportedly back at Mattapan with its new nose repairs and paint job. Although RTSPCC reports it as in service it is actually going through the HVAC program, which, though previously started, will take two or three weeks to complete.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

Gerry6309

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 pm

How are fares handled nowadays in the CharlieCard era for the Mattapan line? Is it still a free transfer from the Mattapan line to the Red Line?

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

jonnhrr wrote:How are fares handled nowadays in the CharlieCard era for the Mattapan line? Is it still a free transfer from the Mattapan line to the Red Line?

Jon

If you are riding on any type of pass, just run/tap your pass.
If you paid with a charlie ticket to get on the RT system, keep it, you need it for a free transfer to the trolley. If you pay with cash on the Green Line ask for a receipt, it is good at Ashmont. If you paid your fare with a Charliecard you get a free transfer. Otherwise $2.00

If you pay with cash on the Mattapan car you get a ticket issued by the farebox which is good at Ashmont. Tap a stored value Charlie Card, and the fare box will deduct $1.70 - tap it again at Ashmont and the transfer is free, Same goes for Bus transfers at Ashmont, Milton, Central Av. and Mattapan. Bus - RT - Bus is supposed to work but doesn't

NO MORE FREE RIDES.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

Gerry6309

Postby danib62 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:40 pm

They really need to correct the no Trolley-Red Line-Bus transfer issue. Other systems such as MetroCard in NYC is able to credit extra transfers if the need arises (SIRR-ferry-subway-bus)
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:28 pm

I noticed today that two of the spring clips holding the rails by the new Ashmont platform have snapped off. I wonder if they got a bad batch and more of them are starting to fracture?
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CGRLCDR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Here's a digital watercolor that I made from a photo of PCC 3260 last year just for the fun of it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgrlcdr/3296437462/

This is just a test - I've never tried sticking a Flickr photo on here before. :-D
CGRLCDR

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 am

Red Line-Mattapan Line-On Monday March 2, 2009 bus service will replace train service on the Mattapan line. Personnel will be on scene to assist passengers. Please plan ahead for your commute. We apologize for any inconvenience. 3/2/2009 5:10 AM
GP40MC 1116

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 am

Why, are they doing some sort of construction today?
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)