Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 am

How and why are you so confused?

New loop- Part of the New Station Construction
The new apt. building- Went up after the old station was torn down and new land developed as it was where the old Parking Lot used to sit
The new fare system- $1.70 Per Ride using a CharlieCard, $2.00 Per Ride Using a CharlieTicket or Cash-on-board
The new station signage- The Mattapan-Ashmont Line is operationally part of the light rail division of the MBTA, aka the Green Line. All heavy repairs etc that are needed are done at the MBTA Green Line Riverside Shops in Newton, MA, the smaller repairs can be done on site in the Shed at Mattapan

Don't mind me being sarcastic a bit :P
GP40MC 1116

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:53 am

For the sake of reminiscence, here's a thirty year old shot of Mattapan Yard with a loaned Toronto sweeper and Dallas Double Ended "Texas Rangers", used on the line for many years.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 713408.jpg
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:25 am

The line is still shown in red on all MBTA maps, so painting the station signs green doesn't make a lot of sense.
Ron Newman

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:43 am

Ron Newman wrote:The line is still shown in red on all MBTA maps, so painting the station signs green doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's just the Sign Shop showing off their new skills that they wanted to show off with the re-opening of the line. :-D

Not to nit pick more, but did anyone catch the front and style of the sign's? They are totally different that what the normal MBTA stations signs look like

Capen Street "New Sign (Thanks to MBTA3247):
http://carter.gamerspage.net/Mattapan_H ... ge-10.html

Older Style Sign and Front we are used to seeing
GP40MC 1116

Postby Mdlbigcat » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:56 am

3rdrail wrote:Three cheers for the Mattapan High-Speed Line and the M.B.T.A. !
This line and it's equipment = a retro-experience on a real, live transit company. Any Boston trolley buff can be proud of this line and the efforts of those to save it and the PCC's that buff it's rails. Is this the only line run in America solely using it's own original PCC's ? (San Francisco uses a variety of equipment on the "F" - most of which is not native to SF, and I'm not sure about Philadelphia.):-D

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 914881.jpg

The carbodies are native to the city, but the components in the PCC 2's are new LRV components, not original PCC components.
69th St. Train Making All stops.......Doors are Closing!
Mdlbigcat

Postby danib62 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:59 am

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:The line is still shown in red on all MBTA maps, so painting the station signs green doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's just the Sign Shop showing off their new skills that they wanted to show off with the re-opening of the line. :-D

Not to nit pick more, but did anyone catch the front and style of the sign's? They are totally different that what the normal MBTA stations signs look like
Yea the fonts are totally off.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby savebowdoin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 pm

The MBTA's complete disregard for fonts and styles, and staying consistent with them, drives me up the wall! My latest rage began with all the temporary DNC signs that they adopted into their regular means of communication for about two years.

As far as I have determined, Helvetica and/or Helvetica Neue are the official fonts used on the typical station signs. At least on the Capen Street sign, they used the proper font for the Outbound designation, but a completely off-the-wall font for the main station name.

And where did that silver stripe come from?

The Cambridge Seven Associates must be rolling in their graves. :-)
savebowdoin

Postby Gerry6309 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:40 pm

The Apartment Building that Otto referred to is the Carruth a triangular mixed use structure, occupying the site of the former parking lot in front of Ashmont station. I have no objection to the building itself, but I think it should have waited until the station was complete before beginning construction. The disruption it caused fo MBTA operations and both automotive and pedestrian traffic in the area was unforgiveable especially with the trolley shut down.

The Mattapan Terminal was rebuilt and some track within the station was replaced but nothing was changed. The biggest difference is that there are now 5 heated waiting shelters at Mattapan. Their placement is poor, though, as two are placed at the bus unloading area (where nobody will wait), two near the lightly traveled route's loading area on the outbound side of the tracks, and one shared between the trolleys and the heavily traveled Blue Hill Av. routes on the inbound side of the tracks. The original proposal was to have those routes load on the outbound side, but it did not work well during the shutdown so the old loading area was restored with few amenities.

The Ashmont terminal is totally new. The loop and platform are on an elevated structure, built partly on the alignment of the old overpass behind the station. At Radford Lane the inbound track curves slightly to the west and enters a short tangent where the platform is located. The platform is used for both loading and unloading, and can berth two cars if spotted carefully. The loop begins immediately north of the platform and leads to another short tangent after which the tracks join and run down the ramp toward Cedar Grove. The loop crosses over the Red Line tracks immediately north of the platform and again on the tangent which approimates the previous outbound crossing. The structure is concrete, with the rails directly attached to pads bolted to the structure. Platform canopies and permanent lighting have yet to come.

Permanent canopies are in place at Butler St. and at Central Av. All other stops have temporary shelters. The work at Butler and Central looks attractive. Left hand loading and unloading is no longer possible at Ashmont and Mattapan, thus the left hand doors are only used at Butler, which still has its island platform.

Photographers will love the view from the Ashmont Platform which commands an unobstructed line of sight beyond Cedar Grove. Bring the long telephoto, but remember tripods are not allowed. The lobby at Ashmont is just a plywood shell with several fareboxes (no charlie gates or ticket machines). There is a shelter for the Customer Service Agent though. Stairs lead down to the inbound Red Line and up from the outbound. An escalator is in place on the outbound side but still incomplete. An elevator will be needed eventually, but in the interim a "Ride" van is stationed nearby tp take wheelchair customers to the Peabody Sq. entrance.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby dieciduej » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Here is the link to some of the photos I took at the reopening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cem6357/sets/72157603531474963/show/

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:50 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:
Photographers will love the view from the Ashmont Platform which commands an unobstructed line of sight beyond Cedar Grove. Bring the long telephoto, but remember tripods are not allowed.

Hey folks - Do you want to have the use of a tripod while not having to have one with you ? I'll give you an old professional photographers trick : Carry a small bean bag with you. Loosely filled, it makes a nice solid support for your camera and lens that you can place on almost every surface. (Use a trigger plunger if your camera will accept one.) I've been using it for years with excellent results. It's not prohibited by MBTA rules, and you'll get as good, if not better results.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby StevieC48 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks for sharing the shots.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Otto - The loop is a tight radius curve at the western...

Thanks all for the info, I'm pretty familiar with the layout of the A-MHSL. I'm a pretty big Mattapan Fan, after all! I just meant that all the changes were so confusing to me... but not really. I'm sure it will all make sense when I come up to visit.

This article covers my last two visits:

http://railroad.net/articles/railfannin ... /index.php

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby CS » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:53 pm

I agree Mattapan F.. uhh, Otto.. as far as the signage goes (and the new fare structure)...
What is up with the signage!? For christ sake, if you're going to distinguish it from the Red Line, make historical type signs or something...
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby danib62 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Is the new Ashmont trolley loop a fare controlled area?
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:04 pm

danib62 wrote:Is the new Ashmont trolley loop a fare controlled area?

Not at the moment. That could always change in the future, though. In fact, if the T has any sense at all they *will* make it a fare controlled area, because that would make loading cars during the evening rush hour much faster.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)