Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby djimpact1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm

typesix wrote:3048 has been long gone and wouldn't have been a candidate for the original rebuild program anyway.

Thank you typesix & sery! I went back & self-confirmed it was 3087 involved, as well as sery's other listed PCC. I guess my mind was on turkey & stuffing...my apologies for the error.
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
User avatar
djimpact1
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Weymouth, MA

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Were you able to see how bad the damage to the cars was? I don't think the High Speed Line can afford to lose 2 cars for any length of time.

EDIT: looking at the news footage on Boston.com, the damage appears to be largely cosmetic.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

PCC Collision 11/26

Postby Martin Baumann » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 pm

User avatar
Martin Baumann
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:14 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:Were you able to see how bad the damage to the cars was? I don't think the High Speed Line can afford to lose 2 cars for any length of time.

EDIT: looking at the news footage on Boston.com, the damage appears to be largely cosmetic.


"Hard coupling" collision. From the way the cars were touching headlight-to-taillight there might be a mashed coupler/drawbar assembly under there that made them difficult to pry apart. But doesn't look like the carbodies themselves put any mutual dents in each other.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7190
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Another oops on the High Speed Line today. A rear ender but minor damage. Type 7s would have been two total losses. 7 people to the hospital, minor injuries. It happened in the cemetery, they had to cut the fence and climb down the embankment to reach the spot.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
User avatar
Gerry6309
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:26 pm

I think this one shows some minor damage.

Image
User avatar
Adams_Umass_Boston
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby Tom6921 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 pm

If both cars were able to operate under their own power following the collision, I guess it's a good sign that the cars will be able to be returned to service.

In 2001, I was on a PCC streetcar charter in Toronto and the car #4549 rear ended CLRV #4062. No damage to either car and both operated under their own power after plus 4062 was in service the next day.

Any idea how fast 3087 was going when it hit 3238?
Tom6921
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Subway Delay Reports and Discussion

Postby Gerry6309 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 am

Tom6921 wrote:If both cars were able to operate under their own power following the collision, I guess it's a good sign that the cars will be able to be returned to service.

In 2001, I was on a PCC streetcar charter in Toronto and the car #4549 rear ended CLRV #4062. No damage to either car and both operated under their own power after plus 4062 was in service the next day.

Any idea how fast 3087 was going when it hit 3238?

The speed had to be low, as the ends are designed to collapse somewhat in serious collisions. Fortunately these cars were well rebuilt in the late 1990s and early 2000s and most deteriorated components replaced. In the past, the battery compartment under the rear seat would have been a mass of rust, which was encouraged by the old lead-acid batteries. The present batteries were alkaline types and are less likely to leak and corrode the body.

Note all of the leaves on the ground, This area is known for slippery rail due to leaves. If the wheels slide for any reason, the dynamic brakes drop out, the air brakes come on and the wheels lock. The only way to unlock them is a complete release, difficult in tight quarters. If this incident was inbound, can't tell from the photos, the grade would have contributed also.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
User avatar
Gerry6309
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby typesix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

The Herald today is reporting that one car rolled backwards into the other:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/11/operator_error_probed_in_trolley_fender_bender

Today's Globe newspaper is also reporting same.The out of service car rolled backwards into a stopped car.
typesix
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:23 am
Location: Boston

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:33 am

typesix wrote:The Herald today is reporting that one car rolled backwards into the other:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/11/operator_error_probed_in_trolley_fender_bender

Today's Globe newspaper is also reporting same.The out of service car rolled backwards into a stopped car.

This indicates that the accident was outbound, and that the car may have been unable to start due to wheel spin. One way to deal with that would be to let the car drift back onto better rail to gain traction. I think that the Mattapan cars now have an anti-rollback switch (very simple on a Boston PCC), but no wheel slip protection. If so, the backward motion may have been deliberate.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
User avatar
Gerry6309
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:28 pm

The accident was on the inbound track. One of the photos on the previous page clearly shows the Adams St bridge ahead of the cars.

I've never noticed it, but I suppose it's possible that there's a slight downward grade from Cedar Grove through the cemetery until you reach the uphill grade for the flyover above the rail-trail
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:26 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:The accident was on the inbound track. One of the photos on the previous page clearly shows the Adams St bridge ahead of the cars.

I've never noticed it, but I suppose it's possible that there's a slight downward grade from Cedar Grove through the cemetery until you reach the uphill grade for the flyover above the rail-trail

Are you certain it is the Adams St. bridge and not the cemetery bridge?

Of course there is no such thing as zero grade, especially with roller bearings.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
User avatar
Gerry6309
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Gerry6309 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:The accident was on the inbound track. One of the photos on the previous page clearly shows the Adams St bridge ahead of the cars.

I've never noticed it, but I suppose it's possible that there's a slight downward grade from Cedar Grove through the cemetery until you reach the uphill grade for the flyover above the rail-trail

Are you certain it is the Adams St. bridge and not the cemetery bridge?

Of course there is no such thing as zero grade, especially with roller bearings.

There are also houses visible in the same photo, something you wouldn't see looking from Adams St into the cemetery.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: Trolley Running - Well, Sort of...(Mattapan High Speed L

Postby Tom6921 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:59 am

Someone keep their eyes out to see when the cars are back in service.
Tom6921
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario


PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NeedhamLine and 8 guests