MTA Map, 1950s

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MTA Map, 1950s

Postby Otto Vondrak » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:12 pm

Look what I got tonight.

http://www.tsny.com/otto/boston_mta.jpg

Discuss amongst yourselves. :)

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:30 am

Oooohhh... ahhhhhh... :)

I've never seen a map of that type... I do have a number of old BERy, MTA, and MBTA System Maps (including the first edition MTA and MBTA maps) that look similar to yours, but I never even knew that such a thing as a "fare map" existed. Neat find!

Where'd you get it, by the way?
jwhite07

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:27 am

Came from a friend's collection. If anyone could pinpoint a date, that would be cool.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:35 am

That particular fare schedule was in effect between August 6, 1949 and January 28, 1950. That close enough for ya? :D
jwhite07

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:21 am

And all those surface lines are streetcars, or are some trackless?
Pete

MTA Map, 1950's

Postby eddiebear » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:50 am

The map covers all modes.
eddiebear

Postby Reddy Rocker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:26 am

Those were the good ol' days... Thanks for the cool pic, Otto.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby dr_wu002 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:38 am

Is there any way to tell which ones are rail lines and which ones are bus lines? Does anyone know?
dr_wu002

Postby Reddy Rocker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:43 am

I think the darker lines are the rail lines...
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:49 am

As regards surface lines, not on this particular map. But on system maps in that era, route numbers were printed within a rectangle (bus), circle (streetcar), or triangle (trackless) at each terminus of that particular route.

As Karl said, rapid transit lines were designated by a bold line.
jwhite07

MTA Map 1950's

Postby eddiebear » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:32 pm

Get the new Boston Street Railway Association book on Trolley Lines of the Hub, th 1940s. You'll get the whole decade including bus and tt substitutions if the happened during that decade. There are extensive track maps of the routes, short turns, terminals and service track, those segments that kept seemingly isolated rail lines linked to the rest of the system. There were other segments that linked nearby operating rail which looked like they would have had a rather round-about routings to move equipment from one line to another.

As a note on the fare map. I believe the lines with the ordinary black dots on them (not the heavy ones from the trolley subway portals) are surface only lines that did not enter transit terminals. If you didn't use a rapid transit station to board or leave you surface vehicle, you rode for a no-transfer surface line fare.
eddiebear

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:32 am

I noted last night that there was mention in Trolley Lines of the Hub that the "5-10-15-20" fare schedule indicated on Otto's map introduced the nickel exit fare that was made famous (infamous?) in the folk song "Charlie on the MTA".

So Otto, you really do have a rare find there!
jwhite07

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:13 pm

Cool notes on the map.

I also have a series of "system maps" from BERy 1938, the first MTA, and later MTA showing Green Line to Riverside.... they are large and I dont know how to scan them to share them with you all... but if I can find a way, I will try.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby Cotuit » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:20 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:Cool notes on the map.

I also have a series of "system maps" from BERy 1938, the first MTA, and later MTA showing Green Line to Riverside.... they are large and I dont know how to scan them to share them with you all... but if I can find a way, I will try.

-otto-

You could take them to a print shop like Charette. They have oversized scanners for architectural drawings. Tell them you want to save it in a format to put on the web (i.e. not a super large file). It'll probably cost you ten bucks or something. Maybe a bit much to spend just to show us lot, but it would be nice for yourself to have the electronic copy for archival purposes.
Cotuit

Postby BC Eagle » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:05 pm

Some Staples also offer that service. I'm not sure how much it costs. It also would be worth it to call first and ask if their Copy Center can scan architectural size blueprints. If they say no, then ask where the location of the local "hub" store is that would be able to do it. They would also be able to reduce the size, and then copy/scan.
BC Eagle

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)