Greenbush Cohasset NIMBYs fight on

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Greenbush Cohasset NIMBYs fight on

Postby trainhq » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:41 pm

These guys never give up!

See

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... rail_line/

Do you suppose that once they've built the line that they'll lie down in
front of the train to stop it?
trainhq

Re: Greenbush Cohasset NIMBYs fight on

Postby NealG » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:54 pm

trainhq wrote:Do you suppose that once they've built the line that they'll lie down in

That might solve part of the problem...
NealG

Postby ST214 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:50 pm

You know, it's too bad that the T has to build this. If it was me in charge, i would tell them to go screw(Since they odviously enjoy sitting in their cars in rush hour traffic), pack up, and have work commence on the Fall River/New Bedford line.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

South Shore

Postby Paul Cutler III » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:27 pm

You forgot, ST214, to cancel the MBTA commuter boat service and the MBTA bus service for these communities. That is, if you want to go all the way... :D
Paul Cutler III

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:01 am

i would have done the New Bedford/ Fall River line first
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Greenbush vs. FR/NB

Postby Paul Cutler III » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:19 am

The main differance between the Greenbush and the FR/NB lines is that the MBTA has a legal requirement to build the Greenbush because of the Big Dig lawsuits. Meanwhile, there is no such requirement for the FR/NB.
Paul Cutler III

Re: Greenbush Cohasset NIMBYs fight on

Postby Xplorer2000 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:19 pm

NealG wrote:
trainhq wrote:Do you suppose that once they've built the line that they'll lie down in

That might solve part of the problem...

One could only Hope..... :wink:
Xplorer2000

Postby atkelly » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:53 pm

To me the argument is so pathetic. What is more environmentally damaging? Coal Burning Steam locomotives spewing cinders, smoke and steam (which ran through the swamp on the rite of way for what 100 years???) or Modern EPA compliant diesel locomotives. It is clear the "Environmental Disaster" that one abutter spoke about was to his own personal sense of Isolation. I hope it is clear to the Judicial authorities that this is just another case of opponents to development using environmental laws and the court system to suit their narrow parochial anti-development viewpoint. If they fail, they should be forced to reimburse the T (and the rest of us tax payers) for the both the legal costs and the cost of delays...
atkelly

Postby KidRailfan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:22 pm

What is more environmentally damaging? Coal Burning Steam locomotives spewing cinders, smoke and steam (which ran through the swamp on the rite of way for what 100 years???) or Modern EPA compliant diesel locomotives.

Also which is more polluting: one train carrying 500 people or the 450 or so cars they would be driving to get to the same place?
KidRailfan

Postby necnomad » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:55 pm

I couldn't agree more, with over $100 million invested so far out of the total of $500 million the entire job is worth, nobody, including myself is just going to pack up and leave. All those stall tactics do is delay the inevitable and burn away money that could be put to better uses.
By the way have these people been to Scituate and or Braintree lately? Face it, the railroad is coming. I'd love to see the looks on those Nimbys faces when they start seeing a hundred or so truckoads of rail and even more loads of ties zooming by there houses for the next three months!!!
necnomad

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:46 pm

I'm amazed that the Green Line to West Medford plan still has a life. It was propsed back in the late 40's and 50's by a Metropolitan Panning Committee. I believe that the BSRA has published a proposed map of this system in some of their books.

I also noticed that when the North St. bridge was built over the New Hampshire Route main line in Medford that room for a third track was left. I would guess the plan would be to single track ( i.e. "hamstring" ) the commuter rail system and give two tracks worth of width to the light rail line.

I would imagine though that the current time from West Medford to North Station could not be beat by the travel time on any light rail line as it would need to make a lot of stops along the way to be an effective people carrier. For $2.00 there isn't a faster way to get down town from West Medford than the Commuter Rail.
SnoozerZ49

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:13 am

Although you say 'faster,' that only takes into account the time spent once you leave on the train. Since light rail would offer much better frequency for departures, people would no longer have to plan their trip around the CR schedule.

The whole idea of rapid transit isn't necessarily a faster ride than CR (often times it's quite slower, look at getting from yawkey/back bay to downtown), but rather to offer higher frequencies so people no longer have to plan their day around the CR schedule. Once you factor in the wait time between CR trains, you have the light rail as a viable and even favourable alternative.
trigonalmayhem

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:44 pm

I certainly agree with you about the benefits of light rail vs. commuter rail. Certainly the potential ridership would be drawn from a larger area than that of a commuter rail station.

I would like to hear from any commuter that has the choice of commuting from Riverside or Auburndale.

Excluding the availability of parking I wonder which is more favorable? Both modes certainly have their advantages. From a fare perspective the 1B fares and the light rail fare structure would be about even, I think.

I guess I can't help it, a much as I like trolleys I like commuter rail better, oops, sorry I didn't mean for that to slip out.

I really think that the green line should be stretched from Lechmere through Union Square and Inman Square through to Harvard Sq. Than portion of Somerville and East Cambridge needs better service!
:)
SnoozerZ49

Postby trigonalmayhem » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:43 pm

Yeah, I actually think that the routing through Inman would be favourable myself, but isn't the T legally committed to the West Medford extention?

I know they had an alternate plan to extend the Blue Line out that way, but it seems a lot less likely than the Green Line plan (at least to me).
trigonalmayhem

Postby ceo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:45 pm

I haven't looked at the entire distance, but I believe there is room for two more tracks at least as far as Medford Hillside (behind Tufts). Between there and West Medford may require some acquisition and bridge rebuilding. There's also a plan to extend the Somerville Community Path (itself an extension of the Minuteman Bikeway) along the Lowell Line ROW to Lechmere; this would mostly be along the top of the cut and therefore not be in the way of the Green Line.

The alternatives are to extend the Green Line to Inman Square and either end there or tunnel under Prospect Hill to join the Lowell Line and so on to West Medford. The tunnel option is by far the best in terms of serving the most people, but is also by far the most expensive. I've generally felt it was more important to serve Inman than West Medford, as it's a major population center served only by buses, but since I'm about to move to Ball Square I may change my mind on that. :-)
ceo

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)