Official T OPTO Discussion(One Man Subway Ops) Rapid Transit

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Official T OPTO Discussion(One Man Subway Ops)

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Arborway wrote:The T can't get rid of the guard in the second (or third, if that day ever comes again) Green Line car because it would mean giving up all hope of collecting fares.

This is a discussion for the other thread...but they have finally been testing rear door card readers.

Most transit systems in the world require the operator to drive and ONLY to drive, for their safety and the safety of the passengers. Fare collection is left to staff that have the power to enforce fines and makes arrests.
jamesinclair

Postby Disney Guy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:53 am

>>> ... designed the Charlie machines to ...

The T has (or had) machines called validators that issued a proof of payment coupon. These were supposedly installed at Riverside line surface stops and a few stops on the other lines.

Operators, guards, and conductors accept fares. Deputized and sworn personnel (currently a missing link) collect fares.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby sery2831 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 am

Lets not get on a 'proof of payment' topic here. I am not saying you can't bring it into this discussion, but it has to be related to the one man operation.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:30 am

Are there any commonplace really desirable logistical matters related to not-so-keen eyesight that a guard looking both ways can perform from 2/3 the way back in the train that the motorman at the front can't perform as well?

Excluding frills and excluding matters that also happen in the first car that the motorman also overlooks unless brought to his attention.

If someone is not partially outside the car where someone else looking down the side of the train can see him, the door will likely close without whacking him squarely.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby dieciduej » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 pm

OPTO-ization of the Orange Line is moving along. Beside the mirrors, spotting markers we now have LCD monitors at Chinatown NB, State NB and Wellington SB. There maybe more in place those are the ones I have noticed. The one at State NB was live with four views of the train. Also some of the cabs have received the hands-free mikes. Initially OPTO was supposed to start with the Winter rating, Dec 30th, but it has been delayed until the Spring rating.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:58 am

Just like the Blue line, which also have the hands free mikes on it's Hawker Siddeley Cars as well, so now the HSC 012/13s will have that mike as well. I'll have to look for them. But the Red Line will still have to retain a second person because opf the length unless that's subject to change
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby obienick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:But the Red Line will still have to retain a second person because opf the length unless that's subject to change

Length is not the issue! The Red Line trains are only a handful of feet longer than the Orange Line. Successful OPTO is done with longer trains of numerous transit agencies. (e.g. Washington = 8 cars)
obienick

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:59 pm

And the BMT Canarsie (L) Line too. if then, they then should do the Red Line too, since they can install monitors too at the motorperson's end
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Robert the mic on the operators console of the #4 cars are not hands free it is push to talk lol not hands free. :wink:
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby RailBus63 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm really surprised that the Carmen's Union isn't going ballistic about this. What will happen to the door operators once the Orange Line goes OPTO? That is going to affect a lot more employees than the Blue Line conversion did.
RailBus63

Postby dieciduej » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 pm

RailBus63 wrote:I'm really surprised that the Carmen's Union isn't going ballistic about this. What will happen to the door operators once the Orange Line goes OPTO? That is going to affect a lot more employees than the Blue Line conversion did.

I don't think its an issue. The position of "Train Attendant" was eliminated within the pass two years. I believe they were allowed to test or train to be come "Train Operators" or take other positions, Inspectors, CSAs and so on. The latest lottery lists the job as Train Operator/Train Attendant. I now regularly see senior people that I know as operators doing attendant duty and on return trips back as operators. So I don't think there was, or will be, a big stink about it since no one was shown the street.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby jamesinclair » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:47 am

dieciduej wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:I'm really surprised that the Carmen's Union isn't going ballistic about this. What will happen to the door operators once the Orange Line goes OPTO? That is going to affect a lot more employees than the Blue Line conversion did.

I don't think its an issue. The position of "Train Attendant" was eliminated within the pass two years. I believe they were allowed to test or train to be come "Train Operators" or take other positions, Inspectors, CSAs and so on. The latest lottery lists the job as Train Operator/Train Attendant. I now regularly see senior people that I know as operators doing attendant duty and on return trips back as operators. So I don't think there was, or will be, a big stink about it since no one was shown the street.

JoeD

Wouldnt it be great if all these attendants could operate new trains, thus improving headways?

I doubt a single person was fired.
jamesinclair

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:56 pm

dieciduej wrote:I don't think its an issue. The position of "Train Attendant" was eliminated within the pass two years. I believe they were allowed to test or train to be come "Train Operators" or take other positions, Inspectors, CSAs and so on. The latest lottery lists the job as Train Operator/Train Attendant. I now regularly see senior people that I know as operators doing attendant duty and on return trips back as operators. So I don't think there was, or will be, a big stink about it since no one was shown the street.

It’s a net loss of jobs for the union – there’s no way they let this slip by unless management is compensating them in some other way.
RailBus63

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Ah, so there IS a topic on this... Just did a search for "monitors" as I have seen a few around in the past month or two. I first noticed this on State Street Blue Line outbound. I recall there being two, actually. One looked surprising nice with 4 camera views on the screen, however, I got the impression that it looked temporary... a part of the ongoing construction. The other, which I later noticed, was very large and was a security camera view of the other end. Then I saw one at Malden Center inbound, along with 3 MBTA employees in their orange vests apparently pointing at, and talking about, the monitor. I still haven't noticed if it's working or what that one has a view of. And a third location that I saw was, well, I'm not sure... I think it was Back Bay, and if it was it was outbound side.

I remember immediately thinking "They're eliminating the door operators," heh.

State, Blue, eastbound
Malden, Orange, southbound
Back Bay, Orange, southbound (?)

Anyone else seen anything new?
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm

The Blue Line had monitors installed at Bowdoin, Gov't Center, State, Suffolk Downs for a long time. They recently have been updated with new flat screens with more platform views. The Orange Line has had the monitors slowly being installed all summer. I know Malden Center, and Community College have them. Early summer the Orange Line got door marks for the motorman at the end of the platforms at all the stations.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)