Official T OPTO Discussion(One Man Subway Ops) Rapid Transit

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Official T OPTO Discussion(One Man Subway Ops)

Postby Finch » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 pm

The computer may make these errors far less frequently than a human, but when the error occurs, it's often more costly (Washington D.C. collision).

IMHO, that seems a rather difficult claim to prove. And even if it is true, humans can make huge mistakes as well. I wonder if there's any "data" of sorts on this type of question.
Finch

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:17 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe the Red Line is running under OPTO now.

Inspectors with flash lights are helping out at Park St, and there seems to be two people per cab pretty often, so I assume the doorman now sits up front with the motorman most of the time.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm

They seem to be trying it, but still operating with a guard on rush hour trains.

The TV screens are VERY unreliable. I was watching the one at Park Street reboot itself every second. Some other ones display the Internet Explorer window (I didn't see whether the cameras were hooked up to the internet or some internal network) while also displaying that Windows Virtual Memory was low. :-D.

Kendall Station would often show a Windows 7 Desktop. Broadway Station would often show a windows desktop with an off-white wallpaper with BROADWAY STATION in black text, Arial font.

The orange line doesn't seem to have all these problems. I wonder what's causing the problems on the red line.
diburning

Postby obienick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:09 am

diburning wrote:They seem to be trying it, but still operating with a guard on rush hour trains.

The TV screens are VERY unreliable. I was watching the one at Park Street reboot itself every second. Some other ones display the Internet Explorer window (I didn't see whether the cameras were hooked up to the internet or some internal network) while also displaying that Windows Virtual Memory was low. :-D.

Kendall Station would often show a Windows 7 Desktop. Broadway Station would often show a windows desktop with an off-white wallpaper with BROADWAY STATION in black text, Arial font.

The orange line doesn't seem to have all these problems. I wonder what's causing the problems on the red line.

Sounds like morons are running the show again.

There is absolutely no reason these cameras need to be hooked up to the internet. Presumably all that can be seen is whether or not the doors are open. This will be of little value to police as there are usually plenty of cameras around the platform. All that is needed is some cameras, some monitors, and coaxial cables or the like to link the two! If this works on a 1992-era scientific instrument I use, it is certainly available today.
obienick

Postby CRail » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 pm

A lot of highly paid well educated people were and are involved in this. I'm sure if they're doing something a certain way, there's a reason for it.

I'm willing to bet the cameras and monitors are hooked up through an intranet. This way a tech just has to come in and assign which cameras show up on which monitor, which can probably be done from a centralized remote location. I doubt the monitors will display the raw signal. Instead there will probably be a software program, perhaps a web based one, used to combine and display the camera footage. Otherwise, I think it would be pointless to have the monitors connected to a computer (hence the windows screens). I would assume that the old Blue Line monitors simply took the camera inputs and displayed them directly, but I don't know that.

The reason there are monitor issues with the Red Line is because they aren't done setting it up yet, and with the delays in implementation I'm sure the IT people have been dragging their feet, since there are probably more imminent projects for them to be working on. Operations may be trying it out to get ready for it, but it will not begin to take effect until a new rating begins.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:41 pm

CRail wrote:I'm willing to bet the cameras and monitors are hooked up through an intranet.

This.

The program merely uses a regular browser, like FireFox or Internet Explorer, but it's not necessarily using the internet, but rather an intranet.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Diverging Route » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 pm

There is undoubtedly some processing going on. Watch carefully. There is a slight delay between a train begins to move, and you see it moving in the image.
Diverging Route

Postby Scott10690 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Railroad.net(ers),

I've been a little nervous about posting this here as I hope not to start a flame-war between the "Two Person Train Operation" supporters and the "One Person" or "Zero Person" people. I however am a supporter of Two Person Train Operation. I feel that the T's proposal to eliminate Train Attendants from the Red Line is not only irresponsible but a waste of the authority's resources as extra employees will merely be shuffled elsewhere into (mostly) less important jobs.

Anyway I've spent the last nine months or so compiling a written, photographic, and video essay as a defense of Two Person Train Operation. I'm not affiliated with the T or the Boston Carmens Union and this was not an assignment for school. Its merely a personal exercise in defending an operation style that I believe in. I hope you all will take some time to watch the video and enjoy/appreciate the arguments put forth.

"The Last of Their Kind: A Video Essay in Defense of Two Person Train Operation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf5JFQooG5M

-Scott James Page
Scott10690

Postby danib62 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 pm

While I disagree with a good deal of your points overall good job on the video. Overall production was pretty good. My one pointer is you might want to invest in a tripod or a monopod to cut down on some of the shaking (though I think the T requires a permit if you want to use a tripod though I'm not sure about a monopod).
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby Scott10690 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Thank you danib62 for the kind words about the production and your respectful "disagreement" with my viewpoint. I appreciate it :)

I should probably invest in a real camera lol. I shot it with an iPod nano.
Scott10690

Postby BigUglyCat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 pm

danib62 wrote:While I disagree with a good deal of your points overall good job on the video. Overall production was pretty good. My one pointer is you might want to invest in a tripod or a monopod to cut down on some of the shaking (though I think the T requires a permit if you want to use a tripod though I'm not sure about a monopod).

Use of a tripod is indeed a deal breaker under current rules, unless you want to jump through the permit hoops. :(
BigUglyCat

Postby danib62 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 am

How about a monopod? I though I once heard those were allowed without a permit?
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby The EGE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:54 am

Nope. Monopods are specifically disallowed.

The MBTA's basic fear is someone tripping over tripods on a platform. For a nonprofit student video, I was told that to use a tripod I would have to pay for a guard to stand there to make sure no one tripped over my tripod. They're generally okay with them in places where no one is going to trip and sue.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby diburning » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:17 am

Tripods, monopods, and wiring are not allowed according to the MBTA photo policy. If you are at a station with benches, just put the camera down on the bench.
diburning

Postby The EGE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm curious if gorillapods are allowed. Basically giant pipe cleaners that screw into the camera bolt; you can wrap them around a bench or even your shoulder.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)