Green Line Elevated demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:59 am

They've now demolished all of the concrete and much of the steel from about the northern 1/3 of the I-93 ramp. They're also doing something on the Green Line level but I didn't get close enough to see exactly what. (Didn't feel like wandering into a construction zone this morning and possibly being shooed away.)
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:36 am

Demolition of the Haymarket ramp continues. Here are some photos.
Ron Newman

Postby trainhq » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:20 am

If you live near Haymarket, be sure to stay up late with the Sox tomorrow
night, cause they'll be working in the wee hours of the morning. Don't
know how loud it'll be, but everybody will be up late anyway, so who
cares! Go Sox! :-D
trainhq

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:29 pm

Almost all of the I-93 ramp level is gone. Some steel supports remain, as well as about the bottom 30 feet of concrete ramp at Haymarket. A big concrete wall, left over from the old elevated Central Artery, is also mostly history now.

The Green Line level has been entirely demolished over the subway headhouse on Causeway Street, and for some distance south of there. The trackbed and ties remain further south, but I suspect not for much longer.

Several sections of steel frame remain on Lowell Street next to Basketball City. I don't think Testa has done any work there at all in the past 3-4 weeks. A big piece of un-demolished Central Artery ramp sits next to this piece of El.

Meanwhile, much of the new incline is already in place alongside Martha Road. That work is going so fast that I don't understand why it should take until next June to finish.

(Maybe I should start a new thread soon on Green Line incline construction, once demolition is complete.)
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:17 am

Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:18 am

The incline is rapidly disappearing -- by last night they had removed everything from Causeway Street south to almost Valenti Way. I'll post another report later this morning after I pass through there again.
Ron Newman

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:25 am

Wow, that's something. Now, the area is gonna look unrecognizable to the average 30-year old Bostonian, since the Central Artery was there with the Old Green Line EL. This is gonna be interesting next time I head outthere...........[/quote]
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby FatNoah » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:16 am

I was driving in that area last night. I almost got lost because nothing looked familiar!
FatNoah

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:13 am

Testa's busy taking it apart with blowtorches this morning. They're also using those huge lift cranes (what's the proper name for these?)

By Monday I expect very little will remain of this structure.
Ron Newman

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:03 pm

I don't know, but maybe bulldozers?
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:45 pm

I guess "lift crane" is the right name -- if I enter that into Google I get lots of pictures of equipment like what I saw today.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:51 pm

I'm amazed at how much of the structure was still left in places...There were at least six support stumps left unprotected near the sidewalk on the Orange/Green Line side of Causeway Street. Looks like an accident waiting to happen there...

A related question, anyone know if the new headhouse is part of the project or is it being built under a different contract by a different company?
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:28 pm

Nobody was working on the site today, so I'm going to withdraw my prediction that it will be gone by Monday. Maybe Testa now takes weekends off since their demolition site is no longer in the way of any motor or pedestrian traffic.

Testa only does demolitions, so I'm sure the new headhouse is a different contract.
Ron Newman

New photos

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 pm

New photos from Downtown Dave:

11/07 Progress: Little remains of the ramp and incline

New Science Park Incline: construction continues rapidly

Steam pipe disconnected, so demolition on Lowell Street should resume very soon
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:54 pm

The Haymarket incline and ramp are just about all gone. A big section of steel from the upper level ramp is now lying on top of the lower level. There's rubble everywhere.
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)