Green Line Elevated demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green Line EL

Postby Noel Weaver » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:19 am

From someone in Florida who has ridden this line a number of times over
the years, thank you very much for putting these interesting pictures on
here for all to view.
Almost like being there in person.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:32 pm

OMG, i didn't know that the destruciton of the green line was that far!!!! They are already at the bend going towards Haymarket....i need to get some pics of this before it is all gone!!!
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:00 am

From today's Herald:

What the El! The sun's shining on Causeway Street
By Sheila Halloran

For the first time in 90 years, the sun is shining on Causeway Street and local residents and employees are beaming with delight.

``It's invigorating,'' said Joel Goldstein who works in Boston. ``It's refreshing to let the sun in.''

Over this past weekend, a large section of the elevated MBTA Green line in and out of North Station was demolished, making the area around the FleetCenter open to direct sunlight.

``This is a remarkable transformation,'' said MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo. ``Elevated train stations are officially a thing of the past.''

Since 1912, Causeway Street has been overshadowed by the green transit eyesore. With the completion of the new T station under North Station in June, demolition crews have been working to tear down the elevated structure, which has been demolished as far as Canal Street. The entire project is slated for completion in two weeks, said Pesaturo.

``This has made a world of difference to business owners,'' said Pesaturo.

``It's totally different,'' said Halftime Pizza manager Derick Mains. ``It really adds character.''

``It's unbelievable,'' said union laborer Brian Savi who also works in the area. ``Everything is open and it's a lot cleaner.''
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:29 am

Yesterday the section at the corner of Lowell and Causeway Street came down.

There are only two pieces of original El left to remove:

One is on Lowell Street in front of the Basketball City garage. A steam pipe uses the El to cross the street, and it will have to be moved somehow before they can demolish the El.

The other is on Causeway Street overlooking the intersection with Canal Street. The remaining El beyond that is all temporary, built in the late 1990s.

Nothing was left last night on Martha Road except a support structure, and it may already by gone by today.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:16 pm

do you think it will be gone by this weekend? cause i wanted to get up there and take some pics, but because of school, i can only do it on weekends
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:27 pm

I doubt they will finish this weekend but they'll probably do a lot of work. T spokespeople have variously said the work will be completed "end of September" or "early October".
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:15 pm

More photos from Downtown Dave

Testa has now removed all remaining pieces of El from above Causeway Street.

Next up: demolition of the Haymarket incline and the highway ramp above it.
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:43 am

A piece of original El still stands in front of Basketball City Garage on Lowell Street. A steam pipe uses this part of the El to cross the street. A T worker told me that the pipe serves "the jail and the hospital". I"m not sure if he meant MGH or Spaulding, maybe both. He said that they will need to move the pipe underground before they can demolish this part of the El, and they hope to do so "before winter".
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:07 am

Some more Green Line demolition photos are on the Boston Celtics website.
Ron Newman

to Ron...

Postby Plaidline » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:21 pm

"The hospital" could also mean the Lindemann.

~eeka
Plaidline

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:22 am

Today, Testa is busy removing the surface from both levels of the Haymarket incline. They've already stripped all of the concrete from the northernmost end of the upper (I-93) level.
Ron Newman

Postby trigonalmayhem » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:19 pm

I'm almost kind of sad to see that incline go
it had a great view of downtown from the top of the I-93 ramp part.
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:29 pm

Testa is continuing to work on dismantling the incline. They've removed all of the steel frame from a small piece of the I-93 level.

Seems to be a slower process than what we saw on Causeway Street. Then again, this incline isn't in the way of any traffic, or near any residences, so Testa doesn't need to rush things.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Testa is continuing to work on dismantling the incline. They've removed all of the steel frame from a small piece of the I-93 level.

Seems to be a slower process than what we saw on Causeway Street. Then again, this incline isn't in the way of any traffic, or near any residences, so Testa doesn't need to rush things.

How about being over I93 and the Orange and Green Line as a factor? What about constricted access to the site? What about working around crowds using the adjacent station entrance? I would think those factors would slow down work lest something unwanted happen.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:07 am

Access to the site isn't "constricted" -- they are using the DNC bus parking lot as a giant staging area. They are able to work without affecting either of the North Station headhouse entrances, and I don't anticipate any disruption to I-93 or the Orange Line either.

While watching the Red Sox game in a Commercial Street bar a few hours ago, I saw a truck go by carrying a huge piece of steel, which I suspect came from this demolition site.
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)