Green Line Elevated demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby efin98 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm

open a gate or the fence around the construction area to access the incline
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:03 am

Probably through here:
trigonalmayhem

Postby Reddy Rocker » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:18 am

Great pic, Trigonal. Do you have any more?
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:33 am

Thanks, triagonal! I never thought about that side, but of course that must be it. There is certainly no access from the other side (North Washington St. and the temporary DNC bus parking lot).

Looks like you took your photo from an upper level of the Government Center Garage -- right?
Ron Newman

Postby trigonalmayhem » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:24 pm

Yeah, I took it from the parking garage right on top of Haymarket Station.

I do have quite a few other pictures of the big dig circa this summer (a few even of the green line incline) in this folder:

http://www.trigonalmayhem.com/bigdig/

The ones that would probably be of interest to most railfans are probably:
http://www.trigonalmayhem.com/bigdig/100_6557%20(Medium).JPG
http://www.trigonalmayhem.com/bigdig/100_6522%20(Medium).JPG
http://www.trigonalmayhem.com/bigdig/bd08.jpg
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Early this evening, while no work was going on, I wandered into the construction zone along Martha Road.

The new portal is finished, though it doesn't contain any track yet.

A small section of new concrete incline is also finished, about halfway between the portal and Science Park station.

The two big missing pieces -- between Science Park and the incline fragment, and between the incline fragment and the portal -- can't be started until all the remaining Green Line el and supports are removed.

Also under construction in the same area is a highway ramp from Leverett Circle to I-93 northbound. It will replace the temporary one now in use. Yet another highway ramp will take eastbound Storrow Drive from a new tunnel under Leverett Circle to I-93 northbound.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 pm

excellent photos trigonalmayhem
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby efin98 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:19 pm

for some reason I think access is from the former Haverhill Street side of the incline thanks to http://www.trigonalmayhem.com/bigdig/100_6522%20(Medium).JPG

It looks to be more level with the temporary el structure than the entrance from Canal street. With the old Central Artery out of the way it provides great accesss at level with the incline with minimal ramp compared to the Canal Street view.
efin98

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:24 pm

It looks like progress is going very fast and very well. Too bad they didnt save North Station but it is too late for that now.
I wonder why, if the portal is complete and there is only a small amount of construction that needs to be done, it is gonna take a year to finish the track to connect the portal with Science Park.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby efin98 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:24 am

vanshnookenraggen wrote:I wonder why, if the portal is complete and there is only a small amount of construction that needs to be done, it is gonna take a year to finish the track to connect the portal with Science Park.

The portal may be done, but my guess is that the connection is going to take a lot of time due to the other project adjacent(s) to it. I wouldn't be surprised if one was finished first to allow unobstructed work on the other. Might be quicker to do one before the other, get them both done after each other than dragging construction on for longer than a full year.
Also, what about the testing that needs to be done to the structure plus the approval needed from the DTE and whoever else needs to sign off on the structure. As the new superstation showed us- it can take a while for them to OK the opening.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:07 am

This morning, Testa is removing most of what remains of the El on Lowell Street.

On Causeway Street, they are using a crane to lower various salvageable pieces of the station to a waiting truck. I saw a high-exit turnstile and a token booth door come out this way.
Ron Newman

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:49 pm

Wait, so are they going to rebuild science park as part of this process?
Because it's a pretty dumpy old station too, and it would seem like kind of a waste not to do it now.
trigonalmayhem

Postby MBTAFan » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:49 pm

trigonalmayhem wrote:Wait, so are they going to rebuild science park as part of this process?
Because it's a pretty dumpy old station too, and it would seem like kind of a waste not to do it now.

What are you talking about? They gave it a new coat of paint recently... LOL :wink:
MBTAFan

Postby MBTAFan » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:30 pm

I was in the North Station area today and stopped to watch the demolition process a little bit. Quite a few people were watching. Most of North Station is gone and the work is progressing rapidly. It's amazing the difference it makes in that area - it looks so different. I can't imagine it will be much longer before the rest of the demo work is done - things were coming down quickly today.
MBTAFan

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:07 am

Again, I wasn't able to watch this weekend's demolition, but Downtown Dave did and he has a camera!

North Station Goes South
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)