Green Line Elevated demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby octr202 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:48 pm

Definately. Its virtually impossible to untangle who's construction is who's between Leverett Circle and the back of the FleetCenter at times.

This morning they were moving the jersey barriers around the Causeway/Lowell St. intersection, looking like they're ready to start concrete demolition in the intersection and onto Causeway St.

There's evidence of small pieces (a girder here, another one there) gone on the Martha Rd. Lowell St. section, but nothing more substantial seems to have happened yet.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Here's the latest from the Transit Updates page. Looks like they want to do a lot of work on Martha Road this weekend.

Attention Lechmere - Government Center Shuttle Customers:

Due to construction work, the inbound shuttle will be rerouted between the hours of 8 AM - 9 PM on Saturday and Sunday, September 11 and 12.

Outbound service will not be impacted.

During this time, the inbound stop at the Museum of Science will be moved around the corner to Land Boulevard at O'Brien Highway.

Also, the inbound stop on Lomasney Way, north of Causeway Street (next to the Tip O'Neill Building) will be closed. Please board the Green Line at North Station.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:32 pm

Outbound service will not be impacted.

So the T is going to bus you inbound and force you to walk back outbound? That is odd... not surprising, just odd.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:59 pm

No, that means that the outbound shuttle bus will follow its normal route.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:01 am

Ron Newman wrote:No, that means that the outbound shuttle bus will follow its normal route.

I see, even the T can't be stupid enough to do what I thought I read.
efin98

Postby trainhq » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:08 am

Well, at the rate they're going, the elevated will be down
soon. They're in front of the Fleet center now. Shoulda
seen 'em whacking the headhouse yesterday!
trainhq

Photos of Green Line demolition

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:53 am

I had to go elsewhere this weekend and didn't see any of this, but here are some fabulous photos of Green Line demolition on Causeway Street. Some parts of old North Station are still standing, including the abandoned platform that was last used in the late 1930s.

And here are more demolition photos, from Martha Road and Lowell Street. Scroll down to "9/11 weekend work" for the ones from this weekend.

This morning around 10:30, Testa was once again removing steel from above Lowell Street.
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:24 pm

Wow! After an almost tantilizingly slow process, its like it all came down in one weekend! I take it that by this morning, Lowell St. was the only section left up north of the old station?
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:29 pm

No, it's not all gone along Martha Road yet.

I assume that the T will want to dismantle the two elevators gently for possible re-use, rather than letting Testa slam them to pieces.
Ron Newman

Elevators

Postby Noel Weaver » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 pm

Very interesting pictures, thanks.
I wonder if the elevators in question will be re-installed somewhere else
complete with the odors that were in them in the summer of 2003 when I
was in Boston and used them a couple of times.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby octr202 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:17 pm

Noel:

Those odors come installed at the factory. They're in all T elevators (and some of the stations too). :wink:
octr202

Postby efin98 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:32 pm

octr202 wrote:Noel:

Those odors come installed at the factory. They're in all T elevators (and some of the stations too). :wink:

It's true! I can attest to that! The ones at South Station even come with windows prestained(not stained glass though :wink: )

I think those elevator designs are even spreading to other cities as well. Those same elevators are in New York City stations and come with the same smells and same prestained glass :-D
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:06 pm

Does anyone know exactly how Testa is getting its equipment up onto (and off of) the elevated trackway?
Ron Newman

Postby trigonalmayhem » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:48 pm

I imagine from the north station end they just drove it up the old incline and will drive it back down when they work their way that far over.

No idea about the other side, though. Or are they just working in one direction from up there?
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:54 pm

but how do they get the equipment off the street and onto the incline?
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)