Green Line Elevated demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green Line Elevated demolition

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 am

I've started this thread to report on and discuss demolition of the former Green Line elevated structure, from the Haymarket portal to Science Park.
Ron Newman

Today's demolition report

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:00 am

This morning, Testa trucks were busy digging up the trackbed just east of Science Park station, above Martha Road.

The temporary stairway from the inbound North Station elevated platform to the south side of Causeway Street has been almost entirely demolished. A few stairs are still dangling from the platform, but they are nowhere near the street.

The temporary stairway from the inbound platform to Canal Street (which has been closed for several years) has been entirely demolished.

The temporary stairway and elevator from the north side of Causeway Street to the outbound platform have not been touched. I don't expect to see them removed until after the DNC.
Ron Newman

MBTA demolition notice

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:30 am

This leaflet is pasted inside the window of MBTA offices on Canal Street:

Green Line Customer Information
TO OUR NORTH STATION NEIGHBORS
UPDATE ON DEMOLITION OF ELEVATED STRUCTURE

As you know, Green Line service on the elevated structure ended in June. This will allow MBTA contractor J.F. White sufficient time to prepare the structure for demolition. This prep work includes day and overnight shifts. In August, demolition of the elevated structure will begin at Science Park Station working its way down to Causeway Street.

Once demolition is underway, the T's contractor will work both day and overnight shifts to meet the anticipated completion date in November. For inquiries between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm please call the MBTA project office at 617-222-4901. In addition for your convenience and to accommodate inquiries after 5:00 pm, the T's contractor has set up a project hotline that can be reached by calling 617-557-0072. Thank you for your patience as we complete this necessary work.
Ron Newman

Etc

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:05 am

Interesting information, apparently they are not wasting any time in
removing the structure.
I watched the demolition of one of the EL's in New York many years ago,
most of it occurred at night and it was fascitating to watch.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:46 am

Early yesterday evening, I was able to ride my bike up the long abandoned I-93 off-ramp and look down at the Green Line el. All of the tracks have been removed on the part alongside Canal Street, but the ties still remain. Both tracks and ties have been removed at the lower end of the incline, where it enters the tunnel.
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:02 pm

There is now razor wire on the east side of the elevated Green Line structure from the Haymarket portal to Causeway Street. Feels a little like East Germany, no?
Ron Newman

Postby ceo » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:08 pm

The razor-wired area is the designated protest zone for the DNC. Needless to say, the groups who plan to protest aren't a bit happy about it.
ceo

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 pm

Glad I made it when I did. When will they start demolishing North Station Upper...

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:25 pm

According to that memo, some time between August and November -- probably later rather than earlier.
Ron Newman

Postby ST214 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:08 pm

Are they saving any of the old station, or the even older station closed in 1920, which according to pictures taken in the mid 90's, is still completely intact. Will anything be saved???
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby MBTA1 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:28 pm

Not to my knowladge. I understand Seashore went up and saved what they wanted but I dont believe the stations will be saved. Sorry, I wish they were saved too.
MBTA1

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:35 pm

I don't know of any "older station closed in 1920" that was still standing in the 1990s.

An old platform of the Atlantic Avenue El (which closed in the late 1930s) is still standing as part of North Station, but it's hardly a whole station.
Ron Newman

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:11 pm

Yes, the razor wire is for the "Free Speech Zone", and yes, the protesters are NOT TOO happy about it, but its for 11SEP01 reasons though.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:20 am

according to Fox 25 news this evening, the old El was used as an elevated surveilance point for the National Guard. :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:34 pm

Yeah I know! In fact I even picked up today's Boston Herald and I saw two pictures, one depicting three MP's watching the crowd entering the FleetCentre, and another one depicting one sole MPman walking along the EL trackage with a Red Sox billboard showing Fenway Park and David Ortiz in the background.

They'll be using the former green line aboveground trestle as a huge platform for the National Guard and law enforcement for the entire week to watch the crowds.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)