New Green Line track configuration.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

New Green Line track configuration.

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:24 pm

Hello all. I took the Green Line to North Station today for my first trip on the new track. Does anybody know what the track configuration is like north of the Station.................how far does the track go now? is there a loop? or do the operators swap ends and then switch tracks to get to the lower level?
CSX Conductor

Postby jwhite07 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:45 am

The tunnel continues north under Causeway Street and then turns west adjacent to the North Station/Fleet Center parking garage. At that point the tunnel widens and there is a pocket track that is used to change ends and/or lay over. The tunnel itself continues west for a short distance more, then turns northerly again to ascend up to the surface near Leverett Circle.
jwhite07

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:03 am

Thanks Jonathon, I figured there wasn't a loop due to the fact that the new tunnel will eventually head over toward the elevated to Lechmere. Just wasn't sure if there were bumper-posts temporarily installed while construction is going on etc.
CSX Conductor

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:59 am

Might be temporary bumper posts down there someplace, but just as long as nobody's qualified beyond them yet, it's all good!
jwhite07

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)