the new Kenmore entrance/exit was open tonight

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

the new Kenmore entrance/exit was open tonight

Postby trigonalmayhem » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:46 pm

It's obviously still got a lot of construction to go, but they have it to the point where they opened it up for people tonight after they stopped working on it. I'm not sure if it's the first time they've done it or not, but I don't recall seeing it open before this, and I commute through there every day.

Even though I Just go to the busway when passing through Kenmore, I had to check it out.

It needs a lot of finishing work and there's some weird side sections that they're doing a lot of work in, I'm not sure what for (maybe new little shops?), but all in all it's looking pretty nice.

The lowest level of it is below the height of the existing passageway and I didn't see any drains, which makes me worry that they might not have fixed the flooding problem that the passage is prone to with their extensive reconstruction. I really hope they weren't that stupid in the design process.
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:25 am

I've read that the new entrance is open for Red Sox games but otherwise still closed for construction.
Ron Newman

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:20 pm

what, the Kenmore station is closed? or just one entrance?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:23 pm

just the south entrance, which is being moved off the sidewalk and into the Commonwealth Hotel building.
Ron Newman

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:05 am

I can understand adding an entrance but moving it? That is stupid. There should be one on the street!!
vanshnookenraggen

Postby Reddy Rocker » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:23 am

Just another case of the T catering to the Corporates. Seriously, though, I hope regular riders will still be allowed to use it despite it being inside the hotel.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:38 am

I believe it goes into and back out of the hotel building without actually having access to the building's interior.
Ron Newman

Postby BC Eagle » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:11 am

Yeah, no reason to worry. Although it is part of the hotel building, the entrance still faces the street. It's just like the various Downtown Crossing Entrances are part of the Filenes and Macy's buildings, but still face the street for public access.
BC Eagle

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:59 am

Or the (pretty new) Marketplace Center entrance to Aquarium station, or the State Street Statiion entrance in the Old State House.
Ron Newman

Postby CS » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:25 pm

When the new entrance was "finished", it was open to the public. But then it closed again. I remember walking through it and you could tell it wasn't done. I didn't understand the point of opening it and closing it...
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 am

As I said, it was opened temporarily just to handle the Red Sox crowds. They would otherwise totally overwhelm the remaining entrances.
Ron Newman

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)